C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Rear Hub Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Default C6 Rear Hub Replacement

With the encouragement of this Forum, I tackled the rear hub/bearing replacement. I was going to photograph and add commentary to the project but it is perfectly covered on You Tube. I suspected the left hub but I didn't want to throw parts at it so I had our Corvette Club sponsor dealership evaluate the car. Their conclusion was the left rear hub. Their estimate was $311.40 for parts and 2.5 hours of labor for over $700. I told the service advisor I can get the AC Delco part for about $170 from any number of Forum vendors. I was told that I would not be getting OEM parts. Wrong thing to say. I walked over to the parts counter and inquired as to the part that would be supplied for the repair and it was the identical part! Additionally, it was recommended to replace the air filters and cabin filter for the 40% higher parts fee and $52 to put them in. Right. I need to quit my day job and just install air and cabin filters all day long. Fortunately, I have enough mechanical sense to know BS when I hear it but someone less savvy would be ripped off big time.

The job itself is very straight forward. It took me about 2 hours and I could do it faster now that I have done it once. In anticipation of having to take off the spindle/axle nut, it put ATF with acetone on the threads for 2 days prior. A power bar with a 4' length of 3/4" pipe easily loosened the nut. I cannot drive the car for 24 hours to allow the red Locktight to harden.

Thanks for your collective information.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:09 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 691 Posts

Not a difficult job. If I recall you need a T55 torx bit.

I always check Amazon for parts. There is an open-box ACDelco on there now for 79 bucks.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Not a difficult job. If I recall you need a T55 torx bit.

I always check Amazon for parts. There is an open-box ACDelco on there now for 79 bucks.
Yes, it requires a T55 torx bit.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Like we always say on here ( stay away from dealers).. The dealerships want over $800.00 to do a water pump on my car, .. Last week I did the job in less then 2 hours for $202.00, quite a bit of money saved.....WW
Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I think the dealers make more from parts and service than they do on the new car.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Rear Hub Replacement

Quick Reply: C6 Rear Hub Replacement