C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the hunt for a c6 corvette....Need some input

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 07:08 PM
zinsavage123
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default On the hunt for a c6 corvette....Need some input

Hey folks, been on the hunt for a c6 corvette auto. I know the 05-07 are ls2 and a bit less then the 08-13 ls3 power wise.

Is the price difference worth the ls2 over the ls3? From my hunt the prices of these things seem similar give or take a grand or so on many of the big car sale websites. Is that money worth the power/motor size/capability? I prefer the ls3, but if the ls2 is still a solid car I would choose it over the ls3. If I were to go with the ls2, would have to be an 06 minimum due to the paddle shifters and better trans (so I hear).

Which leads to my other concerns, how is the reliability of the c6 ls2/ls3, as well as the power/auto trans capabilities?

All things being said, would you guys just suck it up and go ls3 auto over the ls2 auto, and why if so?
Old 04-21-2018, 07:36 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Nothing wrong with the LS2, or the 05 for that matter. I had an 05 auto and absolutely loved it. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the car, type of use you want, and how much you want to spend. Usually the best idea is buy the newest you can afford.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:24 PM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

If you plan on modding the car any I would DEFINITELY go for the LS3. They are amazing motors and respond very well to mods. If you just plan to DD it and leave it stock, just look for a clean low miles one and have fun.

For me, knowing I will eventually mod the car and the small price difference it made the LS3 a no-brainer.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:09 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Either motors are just fine, and solid as a rock. The A6 auto trans (6-spd) began in '06, is preferable to the A4 in the '05. Little real difference in power.

The catch is that, while the LS2 '05/'06 is cheaper than a comparable LS3, the resell is also less, as most people just go for the more powerful, and more recent, LS3.

You will not get hurt on either one unless you overpay when you buy, or do not do a thorough inspection and test drive of the car before you buy. The miles and year are not as important as how the car was used, and maintained.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

I originally was looking for a LS3 car but ran across a 2007 that was a nice car and a great deal. If it wasn't for an issue with paying off a lien I would have gladly bought it. The LS2 power surprised me. I ended up with a LS3 car but a LS2 is a great car too
Old 04-22-2018, 07:16 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by zinsavage123
Hey folks, been on the hunt for a c6 corvette auto. I know the 05-07 are ls2 and a bit less then the 08-13 ls3 power wise.

Is the price difference worth the ls2 over the ls3? From my hunt the prices of these things seem similar give or take a grand or so on many of the big car sale websites. Is that money worth the power/motor size/capability? I prefer the ls3, but if the ls2 is still a solid car I would choose it over the ls3. If I were to go with the ls2, would have to be an 06 minimum due to the paddle shifters and better trans (so I hear).

Which leads to my other concerns, how is the reliability of the c6 ls2/ls3, as well as the power/auto trans capabilities?

All things being said, would you guys just suck it up and go ls3 auto over the ls2 auto, and why if so?
Get The LS3 30 more hp is always a good thing.

Last edited by GARYFINN; 04-22-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Usually the newer cars in a line have not only found and fixed the bugs that are always inherent with new designs and production, but they have added enhancements to improve on the car.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:16 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Buying an 07 or 06 c6 auto is a smart move although back in 2007 I could have saved five grand and bought the 2007 new leftovers and chose to go with the latest 2008 model.

Supposedly the 2008 not only has the ls3 motor but a few interior upgrades as well as a revised steering rack...

My suggestion after putting 120k miles on my 2008 c6 z51 manual would be to shop for the z51 heavy duty option as durability has been amazing..

This car has been so utterly reliable I can't bring myself to give it away for what they sell for.

I would personally avoid garage queens and go for higher mileage examples..

How high in mileage you go depends on what kind of price you want to pay.

All I can say is I wouldn't blink at corvette with over 100k miles and the price drops drama ic ally because I believe the dealers have a hard time giving loans so if your paying cash...? I'd search out a high mileage example for 16.5...

These cars go through gas 300k mile validation process so 100k miles is nothing.

My car drives just as good as the day I drove it out the showroom and it looks brand new too..(and this car is black..)

Like I said...you asked for suggestions...,my suggestion is go for a high mileage example of over 100k miles...and save on the entry price...

Then when you own it...drive it as much as you like...because resale will be crap because of the mileage..anyway so no reason to keep it tucked under a cover in the garage...

If you were local in the tri state ny area I'd have you drive my car....not to buy it but just to see how a,axing this car runs with 120k miles...

It's like new and nobody believes it's a 120k mile corvette...that's how cherry it still looks..

Sure I hit it with a griots polisher twice a year and wash and quick eagle one wax as you dry weekly (wash then use eagle one wax as you dry spray in literally 12 minutes flat)

Ls3 z51 with over 100k miles would be my target unless you want to keep it as a garage queen yourself...

These cars are not going to appreciate in value even with low miles...and the mechanicals are so cheap it doesn't pay to just keep one as a garage queen...

Good luck and the ls2 or ls3 motors are awesome...both rock solid dependable ...

The acceleration differential is literally .3 tenths of a second to sixty mph if that...

4.3 compared to 4.0 at best...which no one can tell..

The steering rack feel and difference in interior are the hidden charms of the 2008 model..i.e. Black versus silver Center console , nicer steering wheel and easier to upgrade due to different air bag module, better steering feel supposedly ...

Hope this helps and consider my advice....buy value and get a higher mileage c6 z51 and save on the purchase price big time....

Mechanically these cars are amazingly stout ..

Jmo
Old 04-22-2018, 10:20 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by zinsavage123

IMO, the only reason not to buy an 08 or newer is the engines. The LS2 works well and I doubt anybody can tell the difference if it were possible to do blindfold drives.

There are many little improvements in the latter C6's. To me, the most important is the steering feel. The later Vette comes close or maybe even matches the steering feel of the high end Euros such as Porsche.

To ME, that alone is worth it.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 PM
zinsavage123
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Nothing wrong with the LS2, or the 05 for that matter. I had an 05 auto and absolutely loved it. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the car, type of use you want, and how much you want to spend. Usually the best idea is buy the newest you can afford.
For starters boltons, maybe a stall and nice cooler....boost in future, vortech most lkely

Originally Posted by PuckDracon
If you plan on modding the car any I would DEFINITELY go for the LS3. They are amazing motors and respond very well to mods. If you just plan to DD it and leave it stock, just look for a clean low miles one and have fun.

For me, knowing I will eventually mod the car and the small price difference it made the LS3 a no-brainer.
Yeah many praise the ls3 from my research

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Either motors are just fine, and solid as a rock. The A6 auto trans (6-spd) began in '06, is preferable to the A4 in the '05. Little real difference in power.

The catch is that, while the LS2 '05/'06 is cheaper than a comparable LS3, the resell is also less, as most people just go for the more powerful, and more recent, LS3.

You will not get hurt on either one unless you overpay when you buy, or do not do a thorough inspection and test drive of the car before you buy. The miles and year are not as important as how the car was used, and maintained.
Yeah maint records are a must for me, at least to some extent from a dealer if possible.

Originally Posted by farmington
I originally was looking for a LS3 car but ran across a 2007 that was a nice car and a great deal. If it wasn't for an issue with paying off a lien I would have gladly bought it. The LS2 power surprised me. I ended up with a LS3 car but a LS2 is a great car too
Nice! yeah not ruling out the ls2, just hard to turn down the ls3 when the prices are sorta close for low miles all things considered.

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Get The LS3 30 more hp is always a good thing.
Yeah!

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Usually the newer cars in a line have not only found and fixed the bugs that are always inherent with new designs and production, but they have added enhancements to improve on the car.
That being said is the 08 auto model prone to some issues? Since it's the first line of ls3 models?

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Buying an 07 or 06 c6 auto is a smart move although back in 2007 I could have saved five grand and bought the 2007 new leftovers and chose to go with the latest 2008 model.

Supposedly the 2008 not only has the ls3 motor but a few interior upgrades as well as a revised steering rack...

My suggestion after putting 120k miles on my 2008 c6 z51 manual would be to shop for the z51 heavy duty option as durability has been amazing..

This car has been so utterly reliable I can't bring myself to give it away for what they sell for.

I would personally avoid garage queens and go for higher mileage examples..

How high in mileage you go depends on what kind of price you want to pay.

All I can say is I wouldn't blink at corvette with over 100k miles and the price drops drama ic ally because I believe the dealers have a hard time giving loans so if your paying cash...? I'd search out a high mileage example for 16.5...

These cars go through gas 300k mile validation process so 100k miles is nothing.

My car drives just as good as the day I drove it out the showroom and it looks brand new too..(and this car is black..)

Like I said...you asked for suggestions...,my suggestion is go for a high mileage example of over 100k miles...and save on the entry price...

Then when you own it...drive it as much as you like...because resale will be crap because of the mileage..anyway so no reason to keep it tucked under a cover in the garage...

If you were local in the tri state ny area I'd have you drive my car....not to buy it but just to see how a,axing this car runs with 120k miles...

It's like new and nobody believes it's a 120k mile corvette...that's how cherry it still looks..

Sure I hit it with a griots polisher twice a year and wash and quick eagle one wax as you dry weekly (wash then use eagle one wax as you dry spray in literally 12 minutes flat)

Ls3 z51 with over 100k miles would be my target unless you want to keep it as a garage queen yourself...

These cars are not going to appreciate in value even with low miles...and the mechanicals are so cheap it doesn't pay to just keep one as a garage queen...

Good luck and the ls2 or ls3 motors are awesome...both rock solid dependable ...

The acceleration differential is literally .3 tenths of a second to sixty mph if that...

4.3 compared to 4.0 at best...which no one can tell..

The steering rack feel and difference in interior are the hidden charms of the 2008 model..i.e. Black versus silver Center console , nicer steering wheel and easier to upgrade due to different air bag module, better steering feel supposedly ...

Hope this helps and consider my advice....buy value and get a higher mileage c6 z51 and save on the purchase price big time....

Mechanically these cars are amazingly stout ..

Jmo
Appreciate all of that input!

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
IMO, the only reason not to buy an 08 or newer is the engines. The LS2 works well and I doubt anybody can tell the difference if it were possible to do blindfold drives.

There are many little improvements in the latter C6's. To me, the most important is the steering feel. The later Vette comes close or maybe even matches the steering feel of the high end Euros such as Porsche.

To ME, that alone is worth it.
Damn really? Can't tell the difference between stock ls2 vs ls3? Hell the ls1 c5 pulled hard to me when I was first test driving any form of a vette haha!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

If your budget can afford it the Grand Sport is the way to go. Bought mine new in 2013 and it has been trouble free since day one.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:42 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Both are great. You are not talking about a big price difference from 07 to 08 if any.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:49 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,347 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Set a budget (not what you can afford, what you want to pay) and search cars within that range based on body style and options.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:53 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,347 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
...The LS2 works well and I doubt anybody can tell the difference if it were possible to do blindfold drives...
I had an '05 6spd Z51 option vert and an '11 GS vert at the same time. In normal to "spirited" driving (non-track) it was virtually impossible to tell the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To On the hunt for a c6 corvette....Need some input

Quick Reply: On the hunt for a c6 corvette....Need some input