C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with TPMS for track and drag strip wheels on 2011 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Help with TPMS for track and drag strip wheels on 2011 Z06

I have a set of Spyders with R888 tires and I cannot get my TPMS to work. I bought dorman 974-009 sensors and I cannot get them to reset with the Kent-Moore tool. My corvette is a 2011 Z06. Do I have the incorrect sensors. I need to buy 2 more sensors for a set of drag wheels so I want to make sure that I get the correct ones this time. Can someone give me some advice on what sensors to buy.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Do you have a Discount Tire (Americas Tire in Mexifornia) near you, they are pretty helpful about things like that
NSF
Old 04-21-2018, 09:40 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Sensors should work as is, but may have to initialize them in to begin with (hence give them a serial number to start with).

If you have something like a Cub pro 101 tool that will allow you clone sensors, then scan the OEM TPMS serial numbers one at a time, then clone the new sensors with those serial number each for the same tire location on the car .This will save you from having to do RCDLR TPMS relearns every time you swap the tires out.

As for trigger tool, you need to have the car in TPMS relearn mode to start with, then you will use the tool to trigger the TPMS's one at a time in the correct order so the RCDLR will learn them in the correct order.

So push the bottom of the starter button down for about 5 seconds, and this will put the car into run mode with the motor off.

Next push both lock and unlock on the fob at the same time, and the horn should honk once and DIY should state that the car is in TPMS relearn mode.

Now leave the Fob on the center dash, leave the door open, and starting with the drivers front side tire, hold the front of tool to the side of the tire face close to the valve stem, press the trigger tool button, and hold the button until you hear the horn honk once.

Move to the passengers front tire, do the same with the trigger tool again, and hold the button in until you hear the horn honk again.

Move the rear passenger tire, and same/same with the tool again until the horn honks a single time again.

Now the last tire/TPMS your going to do is the drivers rear tire, and this time once you have it triggered so the RCDLR can learn the final forth TPMS, the horn should honk twice isntead.

If you have the car in a tight garage and having problems, then move the car out to the drive way with open space around the car, and try again.

Added video, and in this video, car is just put into ACC mode, not Run motor off mode. Hence if you can not get the car to go into TPMS mode in Acc mode, put the car into run/motor off mode and try again.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-22-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:44 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Great info. Thanks for the help. I don’t think that I was doing the relearn procedure correctly.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:05 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Dano523
Sensors should work as is, but may have to initialize them in to begin with (hence give them a serial number to start with).

If you have something like a Cub pro 101 tool that will allow you clone sensors, then scan the OEM TPMS serial numbers one at a time, then clone the new sensors with those serial number each for the same tire location on the car .This will save you from having to do RCDLR TPMS relearns every time you swap the tires out.

As for trigger tool, you need to have the car in TPMS relearn mode to start with, then you will use the tool to trigger the TPMS's one at a time in the correct order so the RCDLR will learn them in the correct order.

So push the bottom of the starter button down for about 5 seconds, and this will put the car into run mode with the motor off.

Next push both lock and unlock on the fob at the same time, and the horn should honk once and DIY should state that the car is in TPMS relearn mode. Now leave the Fob on the center dash, leave the door open, and starting with the drivers side right hand tire, hold the front of tool to the side of the tire wall just above the valve stem, press the trigger tool button, and hold the button until you hear the horn honk once.

Move to the passengers front tire, do the same with the trigger tool again, and hold the button in until you hear the horn honk again.

Move the rear passenger tire, and same/same with the tool again until the horn honks a single time again.

Now the last tire/TPMS your going to do is the drivers rear tire, and this time once you have it triggered so the RCDLR can learn the final forth TPMS, the horn should honk twice isntead.

If you have the car in a tight garage and having problems, then move the car out to the drive way with open space around the car, and try again.
Just for clarity you might want to edit the highlighted wording for future readers.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:34 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by lamboworld
I have a set of Spyders with R888 tires and I cannot get my TPMS to work. I bought dorman 974-009 sensors and I cannot get them to reset with the Kent-Moore tool. My corvette is a 2011 Z06. Do I have the incorrect sensors. I need to buy 2 more sensors for a set of drag wheels so I want to make sure that I get the correct ones this time. Can someone give me some advice on what sensors to buy.
Why exactly do you want to run sensors in your drag tires, unless you're also running them on the street perhaps?

If it's just for the track then having sensors will actually work against you because drag radials usually require less than 20psi to work properly and at that point I'm pretty sure it'll prevent you from going faster than 55MPH as the car will think you've got a tire pressure issue.

If you run them without sensors (which I've been doing since 2007) the worst thing that happens is you end up limited to only being able to turn off Traction Control at the track which is all you want to do anyway.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:59 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Why exactly do you want to run sensors in your drag tires, unless you're also running them on the street perhaps?

If it's just for the track then having sensors will actually work against you because drag radials usually require less than 20psi to work properly and at that point I'm pretty sure it'll prevent you from going faster than 55MPH as the car will think you've got a tire pressure issue.

If you run them without sensors (which I've been doing since 2007) the worst thing that happens is you end up limited to only being able to turn off Traction Control at the track which is all you want to do anyway.
i totally agree with you but I thought that I would have issues with my car going into limp mode. However I think that it would be a good idea to have them on my road race wheels. Does the car actually cut power if the tpms light is on.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:28 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

i totally agree with you but I thought that I would have issues with my car going into limp mode. However I think that it would be a good idea to have them on my road race wheels. Does the car actually cut power if the tpms light is on.
If the TPMS light comes on (because it can't find the sensors) then all that happens is you're limited to only being able to turn off TC. If you do have the sensors installed but your tire pressure is too low I believe (since I've never experienced it first hand) that you're limited to a max speed of 55MPH.

Basically it's better to not have them at all rather than having them but with a tire pressure that's too low and subsequently freaking the car out.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
If the TPMS light comes on (because it can't find the sensors) then all that happens is you're limited to only being able to turn off TC. If you do have the sensors installed but your tire pressure is too low I believe (since I've never experienced it first hand) that you're limited to a max speed of 55MPH.

Basically it's better to not have them at all rather than having them but with a tire pressure that's too low and subsequently freaking the car out.
I've been into triple digits. Both the 55 and 85 MPH warnings are really just warnings and don't go into limp mode. The only one that's real is the 158 MPH limit and that goes away with TC off.

I do agree that TPMS are not needed/wanted for drag racing.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 04-24-2018 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:28 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I've been into triple digits. Both the 55 and 85 MPH warnings are really just warnings and don't go into limp mode. The only one that's real is the 158 MPH limit and that goes away with TC off.

I do agree that TPMS are not needed/wanted for drag racing.
i now wonder if most of my half mile runs are maxed at around because I ran in comp mode instead of fully turning off TC. This is probably not the case because I do have runs greater than 158 but I also have many around 158 as well.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:56 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

i now wonder if most of my half mile runs are maxed at around because I ran in comp mode instead of fully turning off TC. This is probably not the case because I do have runs greater than 158 but I also have many around 158 as well.
It's easy to find out if the 158 mph limiter causes you problems. Merely attempt to go over 158 (not a half mile thing). If you can't, then hit the TC button once and you'll continue to gain speed.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano523

Next push both lock and unlock on the fob at the same time, and the horn should honk once and DIY should state that the car is in TPMS relearn mode.

Now leave the Fob on the center dash, leave the door open, and starting with the drivers front side tire, hold the front of tool to the side of the tire face close to the valve stem, press the trigger tool button, and hold the button until you hear the horn honk once.

Added video, and in this video, car is just put into ACC mode, not Run motor off mode. Hence if you can not get the car to go into TPMS mode in Acc mode, put the car into run/motor off mode and try again.
https://youtu.be/64-4mnwWwN0

Thank you for your help. The instructions that you provided worked perfectly. I was basically following your instructions before but I was pointing my TPMS tool to the valve stem rather than to the sensor through the tire. For whatever reason it would not read the sensor by touching the valve stem but read it as soon as I moved it to the tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with TPMS for track and drag strip wheels on 2011 Z06

Quick Reply: Help with TPMS for track and drag strip wheels on 2011 Z06