C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car roll on track

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 11:34 AM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Car roll on track

2013 Grand Sport Stock Suspension - I find I have excessive rolls when tracking. I only track vette a few times a year, but I'd like to eliminate the excessive roll. Do I upgrade only the stabilizer bars? And can I change those myself, with the vette on jack stands?
Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, a heavier set of sway bars will help eliminate body roll on your car. A lot of other things come into play also. How many miles on the car and shock absorbers ? What state are the sway bar bushings in - worn and need to be replaced. What state are the A Arm bushings in ? All these items work together in keeping the car level through turns. All of the items above can be replaced on jack stands except the A arm bushings, they are a major job requiring special equipment.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:06 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

I took a lot of body roll off when eliminated rear control arm bushings compression.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 AM
VETYGUD
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

When I got my 2009 base I went to work on the mushy suspension. First, I put a Z06/GS (31mm) front anti-sway bar with Prothane poly bushings, a rear FE3 Z51 (25.4mm) anti-sway bar with Steinjager poly bushings and Steinjager Extreme Duty Chrome Moly anti-sway bar end links. This made a good improvement, but the front end would still dive into curves and with hard braking. I added Bilstein Z51/Sport Performance shocks and a stiffer Z06/Z51 front spring. After an alignment and new Pilot SS, I am very happy with the results. Vast improvement over stock. I track my C6 at BIR in Brainerd, MN twice a year and it responds very well. I still have a good daily driver ride.

Front 31mm bar, Bilstein Z51/Sport Performance shocks, Steinjager Extreme Duty sway bar end links & Z06/Z51 front spring
Old 04-23-2018, 11:50 AM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcopmn
When I got my 2009 base I went to work on the mushy suspension. First, I put a Z06/GS (31mm) front anti-sway bar with Prothane poly bushings, a rear FE3 Z51 (25.4mm) anti-sway bar with Steinjager poly bushings and Steinjager Extreme Duty Chrome Moly anti-sway bar end links. This made a good improvement, but the front end would still dive into curves and with hard braking. I added Bilstein Z51/Sport Performance shocks and a stiffer Z06/Z51 front spring. After an alignment and new Pilot SS, I am very happy with the results. Vast improvement over stock. I track my C6 at BIR in Brainerd, MN twice a year and it responds very well. I still have a good daily driver ride.

Front 31mm bar, Bilstein Z51/Sport Performance shocks, Steinjager Extreme Duty sway bar end links & Z06/Z51 front spring

Thanks. I was advised to used stiffer, adjustable sway bars and the Bilstein shocks. I need to check on the bushings.
So you use Pilot SuperSports, too. That's what I have but most of the guys have bought some type of track/race tire for tracking. I don't track enough for that. Are you satisfied with your tires on the track?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:08 PM
VETYGUD
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

The PSS work great and I've run the edge to the edge indicator (Michelin Man) with out breaking loose. They grip great for my setup. I only run summer tires. Michelin came out with the Pilot Sport 4S which has a better braking rating and they are suppose to last longer. I don't track that much to justify anything track dedicated such as the Pilot Sport Cup 2 which are stickier but wear out quicker and are more expensive. My next tires will be PS4S.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:35 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I went the JOC route on my '12 GS, shocks and bars, it works well and the rear bar is adjustable, currently in the center holes. I run non runflats Michelin pilot super sports. They grip a bit better than the GY's. I hesitate to go with tires (R- Comps) because I don't want the additional wear and tear on the suspension lower and upper control arm bushings and wheel bearings, besides I can go fast enough on street tires to have fun.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You may know there is a road racing section of CF. I just did a google and came up with the thread below because I couldn't remember if the GM T-1s were fully adjustable bars (seems like only the rear). But there is more info in the thread as I got to Post 2 and 3, both of interest maybe to you.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sway-bars.html
Old 04-23-2018, 08:53 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Forgot to add, yes you can change the bars and shocks on jack stands. It is not difficult. What I liked about the JOC package is it came with poly mounts and grease, plus instructions on how to set it up, like using washers under the mounts to adjust resistance. I also liked the bias change to more neutral. If you look at a past chart of sway bars, you can see the factory front/rear bias of roll resistance and how the JOC bars are different, and how strong the T-1 bars are. For me on my street tires, the JOC is plenty, and the shocks are tuned for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Car roll on track

Quick Reply: Car roll on track