C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Muncie 4 speed experts out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:01 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Any Muncie 4 speed experts out there?

I was gonna take the car out for the first time this year, everything went fine but now when I get out of reverse it feels different in the shifter, harder to get out of reverse and then when you get it in 1st it sounds like something is wrong, not grinding but some noice from the gearbox ore the throw out bearing?
I can't get the reverse in so it locks the steering either, it's seems like it's there but I can turn the key all the way to lock?
Old 04-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Lagonia
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymaniac
I was gonna take the car out for the first time this year, everything went fine but now when I get out of reverse it feels different in the shifter, harder to get out of reverse and then when you get it in 1st it sounds like something is wrong, not grinding but some noice from the gearbox ore the throw out bearing?
I can't get the reverse in so it locks the steering either, it's seems like it's there but I can turn the key all the way to lock?
I had similar problems with mine and went through the process of adjusting all 3 linkages and that fixed the problem
Old 04-22-2018, 05:21 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

I agree. It's in your shifter linkage.
You need the alignment tool then just adjust the rod to the transmission arms. If the arms on the transmission have two holes in them the bottom holes closest to the rotating part of the trans arm are for short throw application. While you're adjusting your rods you can adjust them for short throw action.
If rod adjustment doesn't fix your issue you may have to rebuild your shifter. Vendors have kits for doing it. Also your reverse lockout cable may be binding as you mentioned it's hard to get it out of reverse. I'd take the cable out and see if you can move it by hand in the sheeth. If it feels sticky you could PB blaster it, clean it up good then lube it if it's not too bad.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:29 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

It was something else..
The cable that goes from the gearbox to the steering column is starting to get stuck so the reverse gear was always alittle engaged, i disconnected it for now and it works again
Old 04-23-2018, 02:34 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Just make sure to secure the lever that the cable moves. You wouldn't want your steering wheel to lock while your driving.
I ran my car for a long time without the interlock cable but I used some safety wire to keep the lever from moving on it's own.

Last edited by theandies; 04-23-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:49 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Yeah thats a good point there!
Gonna do that, but it's wery hard to move right now but gonna do something anyways

Get notified of new replies

To Any Muncie 4 speed experts out there?

Quick Reply: Any Muncie 4 speed experts out there?