Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street/Track pad for C6Z calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:34 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts
Default Street/Track pad for C6Z calipers?

I obtained the setup a while ago, and it's packed with a 6 pad arrangement. Not sure if its the factory pads or some aftermarket brand. Point is, I'd like to know what I have versus not.

Yesterday, did some downhill canyon running...just a brisk pace, and I felt the brakes were fine, but the unknown factor in the downhill had my mind working a bit. Pedal feel remained...I have higher DOT fluid and braided lines, just would like something with some real confidence.

What's proven? If I recall, some go to a twin pad only setup for cost savings as well, yes? I am running 295 square setup on MPSS's, and thus far...I'm very impressed with the tire.

What's the ideal setup? I don't mind noisy pads even, if they are about the business.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 04-22-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:33 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I used the stoptech street one piece pads. I liked them. A bit of dust, but they worked on the street (with a little noise if not warm), And worked on the track.

The OEM pads are Ferodo 2500s, they'e pretty good, but pricey.

I got the powerstop z26 deal from advance a while back. I haven' tried them yet but they may be OK. Heard good things about duralast GT pads too.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:11 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I use Carbotech one piece pads and have been satisfied with them. However, my car sees more track time than street. Are you looking for a compromise pad because that does not really exist in my opinion. Is the intended use for a race track or just canyons?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:46 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

This is what I feel I am stuck in. There isn't really a "combo" pad per se, that I am finding. It seems Carbotech has an autocross pad...which may be the closest thing to someone actually having such a thing.

I will do a track day here or there, but few and far between. The tracks in the area don't really lend themselves to affordable track days and between consumables and the event cost, it's just not likely I'll do many.

Beyond that, yeah...canyons, mountain runs, etc. Don't really pour on a ton of speed, but late braking and some hard turning, within speed limits works the brakes pretty hard...especially downhill.

I've considered maybe cooling is something I should possibly direct my attention towards more, to address temperature versus seeking more bite at higher temps. I run within very reasonable limits, but big brake fade in canyons can have some consequence...lol. Maybe really focusing on a ducting setup is the best next step.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Your best bet is to go with the Carbotech AX6 in the 1 piece design.

If I can help you let me know. Call,Email,Text or order here http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/

Part numbers.

F:CT1185-S
R:CT1185R-S
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
The following users liked this post:
KnightDriveTV (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:54 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

That's about what I'd settled on...seems to be the compromise pad if there is one. Good initial bite, doesn't need a lot of heat, but comes with a little harshness. That's my next move for sure. I have some pad left at the moment, but that's on the list.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:38 PM
paul69camaro
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been really impressed with the Stoptech sport pads. On my 3120 lb C5Z I have 4 track days (2 of which were at COTA) running 295 r888r's and I have not been able to fade them yet. They are good to 1300 degrees only have 5% fade at 1400 which is race pad territory. Best of all they are 100 bucks... Pads are probably at 50% so I plan to run them for another couple track days. I think this is the best compromise pad there is since the braking characteristics don't seem to change much with temp.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:08 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

yep thats what you need stoptech sport pads.
normally i would never recomend them (for track)
but for spirited canyon driving they would be the ticket.

also look into the Hawk HP+
Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Hmmm...I'll have to look into this.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:41 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

EBC makes some Stage 6 "track" pads too. might see if they make them for C6Z calipers.

Get notified of new replies

To Street/Track pad for C6Z calipers?

Quick Reply: Street/Track pad for C6Z calipers?