C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Widebody Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:25 PM
WestCyril
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Default OEM Widebody Conversion

I'm in the process of converting to Z06 OEM Front and Rear Widebody! I was wondering if people who have done this conversion DIY reused their hardware and small liners, and components?

I know the rear liners are different, mud flaps, etc. I know on the front the liners are bigger or extensions can be used. I have purchased the extensions for the front.

I've been searching and have found tons of threads on the process, but many of them are outdated and pictures and links no longer work. I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I tear the car apart.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 04-22-2018, 03:28 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

If I remember right there are about 140 different parts in the front and rear conversion.This includes all the hardware, nuts, push pins, nut plates etc. somewhere on the Forum there is a complete parts list put together by a member who got the entire conversion from Cultrag Parts (Forum vendor) or another GM parts house somewhere on the East coast. Cultrag might send you a parts list, never hurts to ask.

The front wheel house is a big issue due to the wider fenders there is about a one and a half inch gap between the wheel house and the fender. The front wheel house is epoxy glued to the frame rails and extremely difficult to reposition if you remove them in favor of the Z-06 units. Use the ones you have and make a filler for the gap.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:32 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

you could probably reuse the old fasteners but that is about it. definitely need the new rear fender liners. easiest to use an extension on the front wheel liners. I followed another users suggestion riveting garage door weather stripping onto the original liners. all you are doing is just filling a 2 inch gap you would normally have from the base wheel liner and the new wide body fenders. no way to notice it unless you are looking for it once assembled.

suggestion.... when you take the rear qtr panels off, there will be a plastic bag in the front part of the qtr. make sure you place these back in the same area. i read they prevent pebbles from dropping into the lower qtr. i get a ton that gets wedged between the qtr and the lower rocker area since i didn't reinstall mine.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Why not just go & get the real thing? Trading in your car on A GS is less money than buying all of the parts & paint, a Z06 is more money than just body parts & unless you go brakes, frame, engine, you don't have a Z06
Old 04-22-2018, 07:18 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 449er
Why not just go & get the real thing? Trading in your car on A GS is less money than buying all of the parts & paint, a Z06 is more money than just body parts & unless you go brakes, frame, engine, you don't have a Z06
i didn't see the OP ask IF he should do this or not. With all the Z06s that are having engine issues, i wouldn't drive one if someone gave it to me much less buy one.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:54 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Check with forum member MyRedhead. He did a really nice wide body conversion on a narrow bodied car.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:18 PM
WestCyril
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Thankyou everyone for the replies. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible before hand!
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WestCyril

I've been searching and have found tons of threads on the process, but many of them are outdated and pictures and links no longer work.
you can get around this if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser when on the forum. you will need to install an extension that will make the pictures appear.

Here is the link to the extensions.
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...again.1256340/
Old 04-23-2018, 01:16 AM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Here this post will help, lots of info..
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html

The following users liked this post:
Old man racer (04-08-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Widebody Conversion

Quick Reply: OEM Widebody Conversion