C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 PM
shakesd67
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

Welcome any input.... I have a '67 327/300hp all factory. Not really considering doing anything internal , but have been thinking about doing two things only.....1) installing a cold air filter just to juice it up a little and 2) maybe replace the radiator with a aluminum dual electric fan configuration. Rresearch says I should get about 10-15 more hp from the cold air filter and maybe another 5-10 max hp from the radiator. Don't desire to do any other modifications. Welcome the input from you guys/gals that know much more about this than me. Thanks. Dave
Old 04-22-2018, 05:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I wouldn't start putting Hot Rod Harry do-dads on an original car to get MAYBE a 20 hp increase, MAYBE. The hype for aftermarket 'performance increases' is usually just that -- hype. Your 300hp car will never be an asphalt-eating beast. Relax and enjoy what you have...

Those additions will prob not even register in a 'seat-of-the-pants' boost in performance.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:58 PM
shakesd67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I wouldn't start putting Hot Rod Harry do-dads on an original car to get MAYBE a 20 hp increase, MAYBE. The hype for aftermarket 'performance increases' is usually just that -- hype. Your 300hp car will never be an asphalt-eating beast. Relax and enjoy what you have...

Those additions will prob not even register in a 'seat-of-the-pants' boost in performance.

Thanks Frankie.... Your advice is well put... I guess I was thinking that running cooler and cooler air is more engine efficient and the added hp was a nice benefit as well. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:02 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What condition is your old radiator in now? A new Dewitt factory replacment with a working fan clutch is all you need if you feel like spending a grand
Old 04-22-2018, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by shakesd67
Thanks Frankie.... Your advice is well put... I guess I was thinking that running cooler and cooler air is more engine efficient and the added hp was a nice benefit as well. Thanks.
Your way of thinking is absolutely correct. Cooler air going into the engine is better for the engine in regards to performance. No one can dispute this due to about every car made today and for a good long while has the air going into the engine coming form a source that is in front of the radiator or off to the side of it so the air is NOT being heated......but what Frankie mentioned is also 100% correct also.

You would not feel 20 HP gain my any stretch of the imagination. And what 'they' do not tell you is where in the RPM range does this increase show up. I get customers who want 'hop-up' their car and the first thing I tell them is that we need to go to the chassis dyno shop and see what they have for horsepower and torque...and then when they have spent a little bit of money or buckets full of cash. We dyno the car again so they can actually see the improvement.

DUB
Old 04-22-2018, 07:36 PM
shakesd67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
What condition is your old radiator in now? A new Dewitt factory replacment with a working fan clutch is all you need if you feel like spending a grand
Appears to be in fine condition.
No need really to do anything presently. Just sort of looking at options. Thanks !
Old 04-22-2018, 07:40 PM
shakesd67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
Your way of thinking is absolutely correct. Cooler air going into the engine is better for the engine in regards to performance. No one can dispute this due to about every car made today and for a good long while has the air going into the engine coming form a source that is in front of the radiator or off to the side of it so the air is NOT being heated......but what Frankie mentioned is also 100% correct also.

You would not feel 20 HP gain my any stretch of the imagination. And what 'they' do not tell you is where in the RPM range does this increase show up. I get customers who want 'hop-up' their car and the first thing I tell them is that we need to go to the chassis dyno shop and see what they have for horsepower and torque...and then when they have spent a little bit of money or buckets full of cash. We dyno the car again so they can actually see the improvement.

DUB
Thanks Dub.... Like the efficiency part but if you say I'll never notice the hp gain I'm leaning against doing now. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by shakesd67
Appears to be in fine condition.
No need really to do anything presently. Just sort of looking at options. Thanks !
do your self and car a favor and keep the hood shut and drive and enjoy and fix whats broken when it breaks
Old 04-22-2018, 08:57 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Shakesd67,
Welcome to the forum! Mods are a very subjective and personal thing and you’ll get as many opinions as answers.
Here’s mine: you can’t go wrong with a DeWitts radiator and fan. I have one in my 66 with a GMPP 385HP motor and IMHO you can never have too much radiator (search for my Epic Build thread). As for other mechanical upgrades, have at it and post pics.
Enjoy your car the way YOU want.

Best of luck, welcome and post pics!
The following users liked this post:
Lola T70 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:59 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USMC

do your self and car a favor and keep the hood shut and drive and enjoy and fix whats broken when it breaks
Keith, you’re the grumpiest 30 year old on this board - LOL

Sheesh!

Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by USMC 0802
Keith, you’re the grumpiest 30 year old on this board - LOL

Sheesh!

I told him to drive and enjoy his car. should I have told him to lock it up in the garage and never see the light of day again
Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USMC

Telling new members to “do themselves a favor...” is so cheerful.

It’s all about tone.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Telling new members to “do themselves a favor...” is so cheerful.

It’s all about tone.
opening a can of worms just to accomplish nothing uselessly results in headaches. I rather drive the car then fix something that is not broken.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:13 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USMC

opening a can of worms just to accomplish nothing uselessly results in headaches. I rather drive the car then fix something that is not broken.
Don’t want to hijack thread.

PM sent, Keith.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:25 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Those advertised HP “gains” are usually both theoretical in nature and, even if ever actually realized at all, happen only at the upper end of the rpm range. The question thus becomes - how much time do you spend at peak rpm and/or ripping thru the gears up to redline?

With the 327300 engine your car is designed to get its performance primarily from its torque, not peak rpm.

A good tune up with the carb, distributor, jetting, and advance curve being optimized would likely be the best investment you could make.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 04-22-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Typo
USMC 0802 (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Spending $800-$1000 for a DeWitt radiator/ fan setup for a 5 hp bump you won’t even feel ?

Somebody tell me how that makes any sense.

If the OP wants to spend several hundred bucks on a slick mod then buy the Detroit Speed electronic headlight motor conversion or get a solid state radio with Bluetooth. Now those will make a difference in driving pleasure.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-22-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:54 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,156 Likes on 485 Posts

If you want a cold air intake, get a BB hood made for it or modify it. That's what I did.

The fiberglass insert was removed, the back ground out, and reinstalled. Similarly, I used the belt sander to remove the "closed black area" leaving only the chrome for the trim to trim out the hole. Finally, a 327 logo was added so no one would think it's a "poser."

Get notified of new replies

To Cold Air Intake

Old 04-23-2018, 06:26 AM
fredski
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Hood closed

Come on buddy , we love tinkering with are cars .
Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 AM
shakesd67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Those advertised HP “gains” are usually both theoretical in nature and, even if ever actually realized at all, happen only at the upper end of the rpm range. The question thus becomes - how much time do you spend at peak rpm and/or ripping thru the gears up to redline?

With the 327300 engine your car is designed to get its performance primarily from its torque, not peak rpm.

A good tune up with the carb, distributor, jetting, and advance curve being optimized would likely be the best investment you could make.
Thanks all for the helpful input..... really made a difference in my thinking especially if I'm not going to really notice anything.... and, I just stay in the "right lane" now anyway haha
Old 04-23-2018, 10:33 AM
shakesd67
Intermediate

Shakesd67,
Welcome to the forum! Mods are a very subjective and personal thing and you’ll get as many opinions as answers.
Here’s mine: you can’t go wrong with a DeWitts radiator and fan. I have one in my 66 with a GMPP 385HP motor and IMHO you can never have too much radiator (search for my Epic Build thread). As for other mechanical upgrades, have at it and post pics.
Enjoy your car the way YOU want.

Best of luck, welcome and post pics!
Matt: Thanks. Appreciate your input. And, Semper Fi my man! 1302 !
USMC 0802 (04-23-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] Cold Air Intake