Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Powder Coated Calipers

Old 04-22-2018, 07:17 PM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Powder Coated Calipers

Just finished assembling my re-finished calipers and wanted to drop a photo here because I am very pleased with how they came out.

The OEM red was peeling very bad, and I have a few stuck pad bolts that I know I was going to have to heat to get them out, so while my motor is off getting re-built I disassembled the calipers, bought new hardware and sent them out for coating.

The color is Illusion Lime Time from Prismatic Powders, with a gloss clear on top. The black logos were from Shawn at Fourth Circle designs, they were laid over the clear coat and a second layer of clear was put on the outside to protect the vinyl logos.

All of the hardware was coated using graphite black cerekote which is a thin but very hard coating normally used on firearms. I wanted this because it retains the hard edges of the hardware, it bothers me when people just powder over things and those hard edges get softened.

I re-assembled everything with racing brake stainless pistons and their high temp dust boots, with Carbotech AX6 pads. I ran the 1521 pads all last summer and was disappointed at how they felt compared to the stock pads.

Car from last summer

Before pictures

Old 04-22-2018, 09:42 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

You did a great job and love the lime green.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:41 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

Nicely finished brakes, but your old ones were nearly new!

Here are mine before I sold them to a forum member as a project:

Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice job. Cerakote is awesome stuff.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:56 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

Nice! I will be doing this over the next winter. I like the idea of using Cerakote. That's great stuff!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:57 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

Question I just had...why not Cerakote the calipers as well?
Old 04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JDebler
You could Cerakote caliper, but PC is thicker and IMO hides imperfections (casting marks, etc) better.
The following users liked this post:
JDebler (04-26-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:20 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow those look great! Where did you get the hardware done? Will the cerakote hold up to high brake temps?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:38 AM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDebler
If you are going to do a more traditional color it will probably be fine, I wanted a color that isn't available.

The cerakote looks much much better on the hardware than people who just powder the whole caliper.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:34 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by [Cerberus]
Just finished assembling my re-finished calipers and wanted to drop a photo here because I am very pleased with how they came out.

The OEM red was peeling very bad, and I have a few stuck pad bolts that I know I was going to have to heat to get them out, so while my motor is off getting re-built I disassembled the calipers, bought new hardware and sent them out for coating.

The color is Illusion Lime Time from Prismatic Powders, with a gloss clear on top. The black logos were from Shawn at Fourth Circle designs, they were laid over the clear coat and a second layer of clear was put on the outside to protect the vinyl logos.

All of the hardware was coated using graphite black cerekote which is a thin but very hard coating normally used on firearms. I wanted this because it retains the hard edges of the hardware, it bothers me when people just powder over things and those hard edges get softened.

I re-assembled everything with racing brake stainless pistons and their high temp dust boots, with Carbotech AX6 pads. I ran the 1521 pads all last summer and was disappointed at how they felt compared to the stock pads.

Car from last summer

Before pictures

Was definitely time for a refinish, did you coat them yourself?

They look like art now Brother
Old 05-05-2018, 07:49 PM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

I didn't coat them myself, I used a local powder coater a friend had used. I did spec the color and how I wanted them to be done. I did all of the disassembly and re-assembly for everything.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:38 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you have any installed photos of them behind the wheels?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:11 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Spot on, I'm doing mine right at this moment, the paint on the original calipers is so cheap that if you dip them in a bucket of lacquer, wait, the paint/coating blows off clean with compressed air. I want to go crazy with color like you did but with a red car I'm limited. Nice work, also, I found that some of the bleeders were blocked with crap, some of the pistons had turned orange from bad fluid/heat. I decided to replace all the pistons as well as seals, SS front pistons from RB. Also ordered the pad hardware clips. The rears were worse then fronts probably because of active handling pulsing rear brakes etc.. Awesome work, seeing those green makes me want to wrap my car the new Corvette grey. More than one seal had melted to the outside of piston.

Last edited by tw78911sc; 05-22-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Powder Coated Calipers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Powder Coated Calipers