C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Yellow '93 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 PM
RossGN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Yellow '93 ZR1

Does anyone know this car. Is the color holding the price down or the mods?

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Market...-18000-FL.aspx

Last edited by RossGN; 04-23-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:07 PM
RossGN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Never mind.....owner just responded. High miles (166k). The hunt continues.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

High miles or not, its a Black Widow car....Might be worth making a reasonable offer on that one....
Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Not to mention only 13 Yellow 93's
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
High miles or not, its a Black Widow car....Might be worth making a reasonable offer on that one....
It is NOT an official Black Widow, there were only 8, Done at DRM, DRM sent the motors to Mercury for Porting and Black powder coating.

this car is a duplicate of the Black widow cars in the fact that they obtained the leftover powder from Mercury Marine for this motor. This particular car was nicknamed 'Beast 2' by Original owner Doug Johnson, I believe the motor in this car came out of 'Beast' Doug's previous ZR-1 that was taken out by a hurricane in Florida.

Van Dorn built this car @ Automasters of California and I believe Van Dorn did the first Beast as well..
Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
It is NOT an official Black Widow, there were only 8, Done at DRM, DRM sent the motors to Mercury for Porting and Black powder coating.

this car is a duplicate of the Black widow cars in the fact that they obtained the leftover powder from Mercury Marine for this motor. This particular car was nicknamed 'Beast 2' by Original owner Doug Johnson, I believe the motor in this car came out of 'Beast' Doug's previous ZR-1 that was taken out by a hurricane in Florida.

Van Dorn built this car @ Automasters of California and I believe Van Dorn did the first Beast as well..
None the less.... still might not be a bad purchase for the right price. Has had some talented hands on it...
Old 04-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

I can only think of one reason why Bill would have sold "Beast 2".
We'll miss you, buddy.

That car has serious History, built and maintained by The old Pirate Captain himself (God rest your soul, JVD, you are missed).
It may not be a "BlackWidow" by definition, but it is just as good if not better than one.

If I had 18 large to spare and another space in the garage, i'd buy it myself.

'Crabs

Last edited by Crabs; 04-24-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:50 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

I have a picture of the old beast when it was crushed by a large oak tree, I sent it to Bill as he was doing a story about the resurrection of Beast II.

Just the history of this ZR-1 should add value.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:59 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Bill sold it in May of 2014.. here is an email I got from him then

Yes, I had BEAST2...sold it in May 2014.
Talk about fate; How about this as a sale?.

I got an Email from a Justin Webb who wanted to know if I still had BEAST2….said he had been looking for it since 2001.
Doug Johnson the original owner taught him how to drive a stick shift allowing Justin to drive BEAST 2 for his stick shift lesson when he was only 15 years old
His family lived about 5 blocks from Doug and his family in Jacksonville and all of Justins extended family have also owned several impressive show/driver Corvettes for years

Justin flew to Whidbey Island, Wa from Jacksonville a couple days later and we spent a couple hours talking and looking at pictures covering the last 30+ years of our lives.
He and his mother provided many pictures and stories about BEAST2 and their adventures; He said that he wanted BEAST 2 for years because it was his “Dream Car”

I knew then I had found the perfect guy and family to become the current custodians of this historic chunk of ZR-1 Vette history.
Doug said many times, “It’s not about the car, it about the people”

With this event I realized again how true Doug’s words were and still are today

After Justin's 2 hour inspection and a 5 minute test drive he flew home the proud owner of BEAST2 and the trucking company picked it up 2 days later for the trip back home to be with old friends in Jacksonville.
I am sad that I had to get rid of this great ZR-1 but at my age and with my medical problems seeing Justin’s face light up when he drove it made me feel good that chapter in the Saga of BEAST 2 ended perfectly

Even Jim Van Dorn, Pirate Racing owner, Automasters of Bowling Green, builder of Beasts 1&2, etc, etc was pleased with the end results
Old 04-24-2018, 11:12 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Bill sold it in May of 2014.. here is an email I got from him then

Yes, I had BEAST2...sold it in May 2014.
Talk about fate; How about this as a sale?.

I got an Email from a Justin Webb who wanted to know if I still had BEAST2….said he had been looking for it since 2001.
Doug Johnson the original owner taught him how to drive a stick shift allowing Justin to drive BEAST 2 for his stick shift lesson when he was only 15 years old
His family lived about 5 blocks from Doug and his family in Jacksonville and all of Justins extended family have also owned several impressive show/driver Corvettes for years

Justin flew to Whidbey Island, Wa from Jacksonville a couple days later and we spent a couple hours talking and looking at pictures covering the last 30+ years of our lives.
He and his mother provided many pictures and stories about BEAST2 and their adventures; He said that he wanted BEAST 2 for years because it was his “Dream Car”

I knew then I had found the perfect guy and family to become the current custodians of this historic chunk of ZR-1 Vette history.
Doug said many times, “It’s not about the car, it about the people”

With this event I realized again how true Doug’s words were and still are today

After Justin's 2 hour inspection and a 5 minute test drive he flew home the proud owner of BEAST2 and the trucking company picked it up 2 days later for the trip back home to be with old friends in Jacksonville.
I am sad that I had to get rid of this great ZR-1 but at my age and with my medical problems seeing Justin’s face light up when he drove it made me feel good that chapter in the Saga of BEAST 2 ended perfectly

Even Jim Van Dorn, Pirate Racing owner, Automasters of Bowling Green, builder of Beasts 1&2, etc, etc was pleased with the end results
That's a neat story. Some people do appreciate an ole LT5...me included.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

One clarification:

This car was not one of 13 original Competition Yellow 93s. It was originally Polo Green II, subsequently painted the same 'yellow' as Beast I. Someone else may remember the name JVD used for that particular hue of yellow, but it was not complimentary, that's for sure.

I still remember when DKJ got Beast 1 back from JVD at one of the Gatherings in BG (I'm guessing '97 or '98). He (JVD) purposely installed a chip that disabled the secondaries for the first run down the 1/4. DKJ's first pass at Beech Bend was a low 14. I still remember DKJ coming back to JVD's trailer in the pits, "Take this POS back to Palm Desert." JVD grinned, said, "Oh, I must have installed the wrong chip, let's try this one."

DKJ proceeded to beat on that car the remainder of the day / evening like I've never experienced before or since. He got well into the 'eliminator' bracket, each run was quicker than the last, as the air was cooling quickly. I still wish I had a photo of the windshield (someone likely does). No less than six numbers in white shoe polish, each crossed off as he went quicker (and faster). The last one was 12.27 (at around 120). He 'broke out' the last run, and while I don't rightly recall the time, but it was in the high 12.1s.

(Much) Later on, and many miles later, DKJ had Beast II (same motor as Beast I) dynode at LPE. 391rwhp. Doesn't sound like much given today's porting, but that was mighty stout for the time.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:41 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I looked at this one previously on the registry site. I knew it was in FL with me but did not know he was in Jacksonville. I think I’ll see if he’s able to let me look at it this weekend.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:38 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I looked at this one previously on the registry site. I knew it was in FL with me but did not know he was in Jacksonville. I think I’ll see if he’s able to let me look at it this weekend.
For what it's worth, I saw a car at Haibeck's that was (IIRC) a track car sent to him with 170k+ miles on it so he could assess it and freshen up anything that needed to be replaced.

According to Marc, the motor - crank, rings, compression, etc., etc. was either still w/in spec or just slightly out. Bearings and seals were replaced, but the motor was essentially ready to go beat on the track for another 170k miles.

My take-away was (again) it would be a mistake to project typical SBC wear data to the LT5. Being a completely different animal in conjunction with proper oil changes, (i.e., maintenance), these motors are bullet-proof and capable of performing beyond what might be typical of lesser motors.

With that in mind, one can feel more at ease when a Z goes over what would be a concern for a typical SBC. And, if needed, parts ARE available to freshen the LT5's up if necessary.

If I had room, I'd be "ALL OVER" that car!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Yeah, I’ll admit the mileage is a concern. I have dug around in the valley and replaced parts and serviced the secondary system but touching internals on one of these motors is punching above my weight class. I don’t know of any LT5 experts even remotely close to Jacksonville. I’m still sour on that red 91 with only 45k on the odo for 17.5 that I let get away.

I may may just go check it out and pick his brain on his two hour inspection routine if he recalls. I have a few more Zs in mind.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 04-26-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:37 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Yeah, I’ll admit the mileage is a concern. I have dug around in the valley and replaced parts and serviced the secondary system but touching internals on one of these motors is punching above my weight class. I don’t know of any LT5 experts even remotely close to Jacksonville. I’m still sour on that red 91 with only 45k on the odo for 17.5 that I let get away.

I may may just go check it out and pick his brain on his two hour inspection routine if he recalls. I have a few more Zs in mind.
Are you located in Florida? Do you prefer a stock or modified Z? Any particular year?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:30 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZR WON
Someone else may remember the name JVD used for that particular hue of yellow, but it was not complimentary, that's for sure.
Something like this?

Bob Falfa: Ha ha! That's pretty good! Say, I like the color of your car there, man. What's that s'posed to be? Sort of a cross between **** yella' and puke green, ain't it?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:44 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Something like this?

Bob Falfa: Ha ha! That's pretty good! Say, I like the color of your car there, man. What's that s'posed to be? Sort of a cross between **** yella' and puke green, ain't it?
Milner: Really? You call that a paint job but it's pretty ugly. I betchu gotta sneak up at home just to get a little air in your tires.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow '93 ZR1

Quick Reply: Yellow '93 ZR1