Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

WTB: Corroded Intake on a 327 - Where to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 PM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corroded Intake on a 327 - Where to Buy?

As we're going through the engine --next (after the lifters) we've found the intake is thoroughly corroded. I was thinking repair --but dummy me my mechanic friend laughs and says you can't repair it.

Is this something that's standard and I can just look in used parts places online for using simple search terms "327 Intake?" Hope hope.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 PM
mgsabrsula
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

It looks like your intake is aluminum.
Any aluminum can be welded. Your would not the the first aluminum intake that has been welded by far.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:30 PM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Well now TY! --Wow. THAT's good to hear. Another gent on here PM me and offered to sell me one that was professionally prepared for $450. which, according to my mechanic friend, said "seemed like a lot." But if it can't be repaired it's always nice to have an option.

Because this car / engine is being totally refurbished and every time I blink the that dang cash register is going ca-ching - ca-ching.. lol. --I need to cut expenses where I can but still keep it a top notch job.

Last edited by aworkofmarc; 04-23-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 AM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mgsabrsula
It looks like your intake is aluminum.
Any aluminum can be welded. Your would not the the first aluminum intake that has been welded by far.
I talked to my mechanic friend and he said he took it to two places and they said no. I was not with him so I don't know why. Could be it's they're just lazy or inept... Who knows. He's going to take it to another place tomorrow.

Last edited by aworkofmarc; 04-24-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:39 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

That's a lot of unknowns for a professional car mechanic.

I would be careful on the cha-ching paying a mechanic to run around with an aluminum manifold "try to find a welder" as I would expect a mechanic knowledgable in older cars to know how to get aluminum welded.

However, that doesn't mean that I would weld the manifold either, as the corrosion appears to be galvanic (electrolytic aqueous solution in contact with dissimilar metals - aluminum loses) since the entire area around the coolant passage is possibly very thin.

So what kind of engine and what manifold are we talking about here? A nice original date-coded 461 aluminum manifold goes for in the $400 range. Does your car require one? Low HP Vettes used a cheap cast iron manifold and you can't hardly give those away (I've got one off a '65 I think that I tried to sell for a year with no takers, and at less than $100).

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 04-25-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 AM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
That's a lot of unknowns for a professional car mechanic.

I would be careful on the cha-ching paying a mechanic to run around with an aluminum manifold "try to find a welder" as I would expect a mechanic knowledgable in older cars to know how to get aluminum welded.

However, that doesn't mean that I would weld the manifold either, as the corrosion appears to be galvanic (electrolytic aqueous solution in contact with dissimilar metals - aluminum loses) since the entire area around the coolant passage is possibly very thin.

So what kind of engine and what manifold are we talking about here? A nice original date-coded 461 aluminum manifold goes for in the $400 range. Does your car require one? Low HP Vettes used a cheap cast iron manifold and you can't hardly give those away (I've got one off a '66 I think that I tried to sell for a year with no takers, and at less than $100).
Hi --sure appreciate you taking the time to reply and I learned something! TY. As far as the engine goes what I'm actually dealing with here is a Chevy Small Block #3858174 V8 327 - MFG 1964-67. Engine #FO4I8HF. (not in the original vehicle). Does the one you have for sale seem like it'll fit that engine? I'm having my mechanic take a picture of it to show you. It would be a stroke of sheer luck if yours fit. If it appears to fit can I get a picture?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 AM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Thanks Gents!

When I have a picture of mine I'll post it so we can be sure it's a match.

If it's a match hopefully you can post a picture of yours.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 04-26-2018 at 06:13 PM. Reason: removed
Old 04-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

If you buy an aluminum manifold that has not been "professionally prepared", make sure the threads for the fittings, studs and bolts are all good. It's not unusual to find stripped threads on an aluminum manifold.

If I'm not mistaken, an "HF" suffix indicates this engine was a 327/300 hp which likely didn't come from the factory with an aluminum intake.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:00 PM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
If you buy an aluminum manifold that has not been "professionally prepared", make sure the threads for the fittings, studs and bolts are all good. It's not unusual to find stripped threads on an aluminum manifold.

If I'm not mistaken, an "HF" suffix indicates this engine was a 327/300 hp which likely didn't come from the factory with an aluminum intake.
Ah... So you're saying the intake isn't the original (?) I'm thinking it was some real dolts that hack slapped this thing together. I found this one online:Edelbrock Performer Aluminum Intake Manifold, Without EGR Valve 2101 Corvette 1963-1972

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...1963-1972.html

Last edited by aworkofmarc; 04-24-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Jerry MacNeish Restoration Services can repair your aluminum manifold. He does beautiful work but it won't be cheap. If you choose to repair it, give him a call and get an estimate.

http://z28camaro.com/restoration-services/
Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aworkofmarc
Hi --sure appreciate you taking the time to reply and I learned something! TY. As far as the engine goes what I'm actually dealing with here is a Chevy Small Block #3858174 V8 327 - MFG 1964-67. Engine #FO4I8HF. (not in the original vehicle). Does the one you have for sale seem like it'll fit that engine? I'm having my mechanic take a picture of it to show you. It would be a stroke of sheer luck if yours fit. If it appears to fit can I get a picture?
Since your engine is not original, you can put any manifold that fits on it. The 461 aluminum manifold was for the high performance engines, cast iron for the low HP versions. Any SBC 327 intake will fit.

(Removed)

Here's the thread where I'm trying to sell mine: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
This. Given that yours has significant through-corrosion, it may not be worth saving.

Ah... So you're saying the intake isn't the original (?) I'm thinking it was some real dolts that hack slapped this thing together. I found this one online:Edelbrock Performer Aluminum Intake Manifold, Without EGR Valve 2101 Corvette 1963-1972

That's a good price on a good manifold, but make sure it's not high-rise, and won't fit under your hood. Plus I'm not sure that one isn't for a Quadrajet carb. What carb are you running?

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
Jerry MacNeish Restoration Services can repair your aluminum manifold. He does beautiful work but it won't be cheap. If you choose to repair it, give him a call and get an estimate.

http://z28camaro.com/restoration-services/
Mike is right, they can be restored, but $$$$.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 04-25-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Removed
Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,124 Likes on 552 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

[/QUOTE]

That manifold appears to accept a QJet.
If you need the front oil fillter I would look for this one if you are going aftermarket.
Joe
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-C...p2047675.l2557
Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 PM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Okay.. hey guys. I finally got the pic from my mechanic. It seems really really close if not perfect? I'll check on the carburator.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 PM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Here's the thread where I'm trying to sell mine: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
The one you posted --love the orange but it doesn't look like it'll fit see my above picture. Sorry. Thank you so much for responding though.

Last edited by aworkofmarc; 04-25-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:54 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I have an extra Edelbrock performer just like what you have $75+ shipping, send a PM if you or anyone else is interested
Old 04-25-2018, 07:59 PM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I have an extra Edelbrock performer just like what you have $75+ shipping, send a PM if you or anyone else is interested
Hello Sir.. Can you guarantee the threads are good and everything 100%? If so any chance of a picture? I think I'd like to grab it --I PM'd you right after you posted but you disappeared.

Last edited by aworkofmarc; 04-25-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Hello Sir.. Can you guarantee the threads are good and everything 100%? If so any chance of a picture? I think I'd like to grab it --I PM'd you right after you posted but you disappeared.

threads look good to me.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Corroded Intake on a 327 - Where to Buy?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:39 AM
aworkofmarc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by redvetracr
threads look good to me.
TY Sir.

I sent photos to my mechanic.. he'll have the final say... but he probably can't see anything more than I can. Doesn't appear to be any cracks.

If he says yes --I'll PM you my address so we can figure a shipping cost. Sometimes it takes a day for him to get back to me. There's a language barrier so we have to get translators. But he's the best mechanic I've ever seen so it's worth it.

I wonder if finding a gasket is going to require the same hunt...

Also have to add --

WHAT AN AWESOME FORUM - I'm used to Los Angeles --Everybody is out for themselves and has an agenda, even simple 'friendliness' is dependent on "what's in it for me?" I grew up on a farm in upstate NY where we were just naturally friendly and helpful. A lot like this forum --so for that --THANKS GUYS!

Last edited by aworkofmarc; 04-26-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:31 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

TY Sir.

I sent photos to my mechanic.. he'll have the final say... but he probably can't see anything more than I can. Doesn't appear to be any cracks.

If he says yes --I'll PM you my address so we can figure a shipping cost. Sometimes it takes a day for him to get back to me. There's a language barrier so we have to get translators. But he's the best mechanic I've ever seen so it's worth it.

I wonder if finding a gasket is going to require the same hunt...

Also have to add --

WHAT AN AWESOME FORUM - I'm used to Los Angeles --Everybody is out for themselves and has an agenda, even simple 'friendliness' is dependent on "what's in it for me?" I grew up on a farm in upstate NY where we were just naturally friendly and helpful. A lot like this forum --so for that --THANKS GUYS!
The gasket is easy, and replacing one Edelbrock performer with another should an easy plug and play.

My findings as well, although there are some, very few, that try to sell junk , but they don't last very long, just like a bad virus.

The vast majority here are super helpful, even the few that want to spend every post validating their greatness. But even those are helpful if you can get past the puffery.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 PM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

Aworkofmarc -

Maybe I missed it but how do you fill oil into the engine using the Performer manifold . You must have a valve cover with a oil fill cap on it.

Quick Reply: WTB: Corroded Intake on a 327 - Where to Buy?