Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

top HP and torque figures, 84 crossfire

Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 PM
HPaddic3d
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default top HP and torque figures, 84 crossfire

Hey guys. Im interested in knowing what the crossfire injection system can take horsepower and torque wise. I saw somewhere on the forum that somebody believed you could get 450 HP tops out of it? This is with stock injectors but modded cam, heads, stroked to a 383, high pressure fuel pump, etc.. Pretty much everything you could do to the engine to make it better without going to carb. Just an approximate number for horsepower and torque would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

First, you're not getting 450 hp with stock injectors. No way.

Here are the "levels", as I see them:

A stock engine with a FULLY ported stock CFI intake, fuel pressure and timing optimized should get you to about 250 hp; right on par with a good running L98

A mostly stock engine (full exhaust, maybe a mild cam) with a FULLY ported, stock intake should get you into the high 200's/or just kissing 300 hp.

A 383, Renegade (CFI bolt-on intake) intake, cam, LT headers, great heads, bigger injectors, custom tune, good exhaust should get you 400-450 hp. "BEN73" on this forum has run well into the 12.20's/110-113mph with a combo like this.

SO...I'd say that with a stroker engine or a SBC 400, heads/cam/intake, 450 is about where you're going to get to, with CFI. OTOH, I haven't seen anyone try a 400+ CID engine, with bigger heads, solid roller and an OFFY cross ram, so there may be more in a "CFI" looking intake system. You should move the rock and post about it!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 04-24-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:06 AM
HPaddic3d
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
First, you're not getting 450 hp with stock injectors. No way.

Here are the "levels", as I see them:

A stock engine with a FULLY ported stock CFI intake, fuel pressure and timing optimized should get you to about 250 hp; right on par with a good running L98

A mostly stock engine (full exhaust, maybe a mild cam) with a FULLY ported, stock intake should get you into the high 200's/or just kissing 300 hp.

A 383, Renegade (CFI bolt-on intake) intake, cam, LT headers, great heads, bigger injectors, custom tune, good exhaust should get you 400-450 hp. "BEN73" on this forum has run well into the 12.20's/110-113mph with a combo like this.

SO...I'd say that with a stroker engine or a SBC 400, heads/cam/intake, 450 is about where you're going to get to, with CFI. OTOH, I haven't seen anyone try a 400+ CID engine, with bigger heads, solid roller and an OFFY cross ram, so there may be more in a "CFI" looking intake system. You should move the rock and post about it!

Oh yeah I'm totally for that idea! I'm wondering about those injectors though. Which ones do you go to once you run out of pressure from stock? The big block chevy truck injectors from that period?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by HPaddic3d
Oh yeah I'm totally for that idea! I'm wondering about those injectors though. Which ones do you go to once you run out of pressure from stock? The big block chevy truck injectors from that period?
Yep. BBC TBI, they should be 90 pph....then you can crank the fuel pressure WAY up if necessary for even more fuel. They run those in early to mid '00's boat engines at up to ~30 psi.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:05 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Tom knows 99% more than me about CFI intake potential. IMO Compare flow rate of all parts for desired build. An engine is an air pump.

People are way too focused on "intakes" Focus on a build with a car in mind.

Are you looking for dyno numbers or real world numbers?

A guy I know with a smaller weaker 406 motor, HSR intake single exhaust t56 trans, 4.11 gears, DR's "feel" like it will eat my car for lunch no problem.

Will it? No. I could literally put a couple hundred more hp down than him and my car does not "feel" like it is pulling with the set I currently have in it, but the speedo flies and the tires don't hook of course. When I had a different stall the car was violent and not something to be taken lightly.

In other words IMO focus on the overall car build not a motor if this is not a hypothetical question.

If you chose the intake with purpose than accept what ever you get.

Get notified of new replies

To top HP and torque figures, 84 crossfire

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: top HP and torque figures, 84 crossfire