C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brakes wearing unevenly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 AM
woodvette03
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default brakes wearing unevenly?

please see attached pic. just bought this '12 grand sport and both sides of the front brake rotors look like this. i have not taken the wheel off yet to inspect the brakes. just wanted to get some initial input from you guys. thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2018, 10:28 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Rotors warped? But on both fronts would be unusual. I speculate that the problem is a bad batch of brake pads were installed, It appears the top and lower part of pads are making contact. looks like you are missing a 33.3% of you front braking power and I would definitely be concerned about it. it should only take you a couple of minute to pull pads out and inspect them. Might as well just replace while you are at it! it's a pretty easy DIY job.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 AM
woodvette03
Instructor

Originally Posted by itomh
Rotors warped? But on both fronts would be unusual. I speculate that the problem is a bad batch of brake pads were installed, It appears the top and lower part of pads are making contact. looks like you are missing a 33.3% of you front braking power and I would definitely be concerned about it. it should only take you a couple of minute to pull pads out and inspect them. Might as well just replace while you are at it! it's a pretty easy DIY job.
thanks. i will pull a wheel and check tonight.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You say you just purchased, so it may have sat in rain etc for a while without being driven and built up an unusual amount of rust on the rotor. How many miles have you driven since purchase? I wonder if it will wipe completely clean and even in a few more miles of driving. I do agree that the wear pattern in your pic would concern me too; and buying/replacing pads would probably be my easy piece of mind solution too. If you're not crazy about replacing them right away, you may drive a few more miles with some hard stops to see if they clean up.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:26 AM
woodvette03
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wampa
You say you just purchased, so it may have sat in rain etc for a while without being driven and built up an unusual amount of rust on the rotor. How many miles have you driven since purchase? I wonder if it will wipe completely clean and even in a few more miles of driving. I do agree that the wear pattern in your pic would concern me too; and buying/replacing pads would probably be my easy piece of mind solution too. If you're not crazy about replacing them right away, you may drive a few more miles with some hard stops to see if they clean up.
I have driven about 100 miles already. i don't mind replacing them if i have to. just want to be safe and make sure the car is ok. thanks
Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Pull the pads and post some pictures.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-25-2018, 07:26 AM
woodvette03
Instructor

i pulled the wheel off and at least looked at edge of pads. they are plenty thick. did not have enough time to remove them and look at face of them b/c it was getting ready to rain. i did discover my rotors are ceramic. not sure what effect this will have.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

your pads are ceramic, right?

What happened is that the previous owner swapped pads a few hundred miles ago before he sold the car. The rotor was not resurfaced so its taking its time bedding the harder ceramic pads into the rotor. Its probably fine, mine was like this for a while after I did my pads. I chose not to resurface the rotors (mistake on my end) but I did lightly sand them. A few thousand miles and a few hard stops eventually got it to bed properly.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Start by cleaning the rotors of rust with white vinegar and a pad

Get notified of new replies

To brakes wearing unevenly?

Quick Reply: brakes wearing unevenly?