Sponsored by:

Another Dealer Story

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:36 AM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Another Dealer Story

Made arrangements with local dealer, who has always treated me well until now, to balance and mount Michelin A/S on my Z51 which I had direct shipped to them from Tire Rack for $225.00 which I thought was fair.

I asked them while they had it in the air if they would check the transmission and rear end fluid levels and they, the service adviser, said no problem and at no charge.

Everything went well, 2 hours to complete the job, until it came time to pay up. The bill was well over $300 which included $60 to check the fluids and of all things $33.00 for shop supplies.

I was really pissed especially when he couldn't tell me exactly what shop supplies were used and why $60 for the check when they told me no charge.

To shorten the story I had to get the manager to straighten it out and after my veterans discount the bill came to the amount originally agreed on.

It was the same service adviser that told me last winter it had to be below freezing to check the battery on my Silverado

I don't know if I'll go back.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

You might want to review other available dealers even though apparently it all worked out with some effort.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:29 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by xtroms
It was the same service adviser that told me last winter it had to be below freezing to check the battery on my Silverado
That's one of those things that when told, one's brain stalls for a moment because it is so stupid.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

Some dealers advertise they will match other companies prices on tires. Maybe next time see if they will match Tire Rack's prices. They probably got pissed off that you didn't purchase the tires from them and decided to add that corvette tax to your bill. Personally, I would never let my chev dealer put any tires on my car. Most don't have the equipment needed or the qualified tech's.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You may, or may not have a lot of choices of dealerships to get work done. But still, after what I just read, I just wouldn't be inclined to "reward" them with a purchase of tires, even at a matching price. I tend to have the same reaction as Dwillys.

By now, WADR (with all due respect) I would think you are aware that it is time for you to go find a good indie shop that will mount your tires without damaging the wheels, and maybe another shop that knows enough to check your fluids without draining it or damage. Both shops may come at some cost to you, but I'd think it's well worth the grief and aggravation unless you're strapped for cash, or you like great, unsound, untrue, advice (your Silverado).

Good luck for the future!
The following users liked this post:
Nilater (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

For one reason or another the dealer couldn't order the tires for me and recommended I get them from Tire Rack, have them shipped to them and they would balance and mount and gave me the price. All this was done in advance with the dealers approval. I must say they did a excellent job of putting them on.

BTW they're the only game in town and it is only that service adviser that I have problems with and I really try to avoid him when I can.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I usually have similar problems at the dealership....I just go to my sales guy and he takes care of it.
Once I was talking to the service manager and a tech came over and told him he was done with the truck he was working on...the manager told him that he wasn't done and to get back there and work on it some more!
Where ever you go hope for the best but expect the worst.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:46 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

ND is, of course, the epitome of the "boondocks" but I know when you go to the Tire Rack website, they'll list their "approved shops" that will mount and balance your tires. I typically go to my local tire store (who will match TR prices) but I wasn't happy with them last time as they damaged the wheels on my BMW, so I used an indy shop for my SS tires, and they took their time, damaged nothing and charged less than the tire store without the arguments to upsell me everything.

I check fluids myself, but it only takes a few minutes so yes, $60 is out of line unless they can only charge in 30 minute increments.

I don't use the Chevy dealer for anything other than warranty work.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:58 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Bet you they charged you for the weights for 4 tires should have topped out at like $15 bucks
Old 04-25-2018, 02:24 PM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't know a dealer around here that will accept tires from tire rack
Old 04-25-2018, 02:26 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

My mount and bal at my chevy dealer with EVERYTHING was $100 bucks. I brought them tires I had online from the CHEAPER alternative to tire jack......discount tire direct online
Old 04-25-2018, 02:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by fourmat
I don't know a dealer around here that will accept tires from tire rack
That may be so, but if you saw the tires as they come in to a store or dealer, chances are it has a tirerack sticker on it because they are the largest wholesale buyer of tires and warehouse them all over the country. That means, just about every retailer including dealers, buy/get their tires from a tirerack warehouse.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Dealer Story

Quick Reply: Another Dealer Story