Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day seats aluminum or composite?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:18 PM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track day seats aluminum or composite?

So I upgrading to seats and harnesses but can't decide on seats. Kind of partial to aluminum due to mostly fit being a bit easier.

Can anyone share their opinions?

FYI I have a pair of Corbeau FX1 Pro's with hardbar mounts I will likely be selling.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:38 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Once I tried an aluminum seat I could never go back to composite. So much more headroom, and they fit into the car better as well. They aren't as comfortable, but a little extra padding/bubble wrap under the cover can help with that as needed.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I agree on the aluminum seat although you will need to brace the back since in an incident where you are thrown forward and then rebound back into the seat an unbraced seat back can break. There are several suppliers that make seat braces and you could make your own.

The advantage of the aluminum seat is it can be customized to the application. When I installed the Ultrashield seat in my C5Z my seating position placed the bottom bolsters too close to the steering wheel and I couldn't get my legs between the seat edge and the wheel. The installer took a baseball bat and used it as a forming tool to bend the upper portion of the bolster outward and make room for my legs plus made it more comfortable to slide my butt over the edge. He showed me several other cars where he customized the seats to provide certain benefits for the owners. Can't do that with a composite seat.

Bill
Old 04-25-2018, 02:26 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I just switched back to my old composite seat from an aluminum seat. Maybe the composite just fits better but it is better for me.
Aluminum is certainly easier to get a custom fit and cheaper. Either style is fine for sprint racing (less than an hour).
Old 04-25-2018, 07:25 PM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

90% of the time, aluminum (standard ones, not the higher end aluminum seat with everything braced) is not as safe (most of them, not braced correctly, and difficult to do so in a non-caged car) as composite. Most standard Kirby / Ultrashield are just crap. there, I said it.

Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-25-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bellwilliam
90% of the time, aluminum (standard ones, not the higher end aluminum seat with everything braced) is not as safe (most of them, not braced correctly, and difficult to do so in a non-caged car) as composite. Most standard Kirby / Ultrashield are just crap. there, I said it.
What brand/model would you recommend for aluminum? I'm looking into a new seat and have been debating between alum/composite.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Being 6'4" there aren't any composite seats that fit me and fit in the car. Ultrashield pro road race for me.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:46 PM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
What brand/model would you recommend for aluminum? I'm looking into a new seat and have been debating between alum/composite.
nothing, I would not recommend aluminum seats for track days (what op stated). what I meant when I said 90% of installed aluminum seats are unsafe, just meant the other 10% are safe because they are high-end aluminum seat WITH correct seat braces (back and shoulder) installed. They have to be tied into a cage by an experienced shop, not off the shelf $100 brace. Just like NASCAR does with everything braced. so it can be done, but not your average HPDE build.

By the time you spend that kind of time and money, you are better off installing a $$$$ FIA new 8862-2009 standard composite instead of the older $$ 8855-1999 standard composite (everything under $2k). I am not aware of any aluminum seat that's FIA certified, old or new standard.

Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-26-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Track day seats aluminum or composite?

Quick Reply: Track day seats aluminum or composite?