C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

One more first drive... Top Gear UK (magazine/website)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:38 PM
the professor
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts
Default One more first drive... Top Gear UK (magazine/website)

No Chris Harris yet but it is good to see their take on the car!

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...dr/first-drive

Edit: I don't want to keep posting these threads so here is Motor Trend's first drive, including some stunning new pictures:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...-drive-review/

I can't wait to see this thing in comparison tests, best driver's car, and lightning lap!

Last edited by the professor; 04-25-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: New informtion
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 04:36 PM
36couper
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm waiting for any car reviewer to say forget about buying a Euro supercar and buy the ZR1. I haven't read any review that has the ***** to say it.
The ZR1 is the Supercar that can beat the exotics
Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by 36couper
I'm waiting for any car reviewer to say forget about buying a Euro supercar and buy the ZR1. I haven't read any review that has the ***** to say it.
Except GT3RS

I kid I kid Sorry i had to say it
Old 04-24-2018, 04:51 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Big Nasty’s bigger brother Fury! Love it!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:09 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

Maybe because their opinion is that the Euro supercar is better? Is there something wrong with that?

What exactly does this mean? One thing people seem to never realize is that exotic car companies make different levels of the cars they produce much like there are different levels of the Corvette you can buy. Often times they want to compare one companies entry level or mid level car to the ZR1(or even Z06) but never compare it to the higher level cars. And yes the ZR1 will beat some of the track focused exotic cars on certain tracks and on other tracks the exotic cars will beat the ZR1, very rarely is there one car that beats every other car everywhere. Then there comes things like the fit and finish of the cars. Since I have a Lambo I can compare it to my C7 anytime I want. The Lambo is put together significantly better than the C7, any random person will be able to tell that. Now is it worth the extra cost, that's debatable and up to the buyer to decide. I haven't driver a ZR1 yet, however I hope to eventually. But I'm going to imagine it's a more aggressive Z06, drive an exotic car and you'll understand why people rave about them all the time.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

The Big Nasty.....I love it!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
Maybe because their opinion is that the Euro supercar is better? Is there something wrong with that?

What exactly does this mean? One thing people seem to never realize is that exotic car companies make different levels of the cars they produce much like there are different levels of the Corvette you can buy. Often times they want to compare one companies entry level or mid level car to the ZR1(or even Z06) but never compare it to the higher level cars. And yes the ZR1 will beat some of the track focused exotic cars on certain tracks and on other tracks the exotic cars will beat the ZR1, very rarely is there one car that beats every other car everywhere. Then there comes things like the fit and finish of the cars. Since I have a Lambo I can compare it to my C7 anytime I want. The Lambo is put together significantly better than the C7, any random person will be able to tell that. Now is it worth the extra cost, that's debatable and up to the buyer to decide. I haven't driver a ZR1 yet, however I hope to eventually. But I'm going to imagine it's a more aggressive Z06, drive an exotic car and you'll understand why people rave about them all the time.
Very ignorant, and condescending comments.

Every point you make is subjective.

When the ZR1 hands Lambo it's head (just as the Z06 did in the last Lightning Lap, you can feel good about the niceties of your better cabin & fit and finish at your cars & coffee event. For the price you paid, it's the least the brand can provide.

I love when exotic owners get their pants twisted, they always resort back to the same subjective arguments; 'fit & finish', and 'exclusivity'.

Whatever floats your boat.
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Livinlife
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 04-24-2018, 10:47 PM
blb078
Racer

Originally Posted by Newton06
Very ignorant, and condescending comments.

Every point you make is subjective.

When the ZR1 hands Lambo it's head (just as the Z06 did in the last Lightning Lap, you can feel good about the niceties of your better cabin & fit and finish at your cars & coffee event. For the price you paid, it's the least the brand can provide.

I love when exotic owners get their pants twisted, they always resort back to the same subjective arguments; 'fit & finish', and 'exclusivity'.

Whatever floats your boat.
Whatever nothing in my comments was ignorant or condescending, I own a C7 and a Lambo so I have a pretty good idea as to how both are built. However I even stated that the ZR1 will probably beat exotics at certain tracks and exotics will beat the ZR1. Why are you so pissy over it. And the fit and finish on them aren't subjective, it's pretty clear to anyone the lambo is put together better. I love it when corvette owners get their pants twisted over an exotic owner and have to always go back to something like the Lightning Lap.

Funny you compared the Z06 to the Huracan 610-4 so there you go comparing a track focused car to a non track focused car which is what a lot of people do, because as I stated most don't realize that exotic manufactures make different levels of their cars, one's meant to drive daily(yes that does happen), track focused cars, etc. I don't know if the Perforamnte will beat the ZR1 nor do I care and I doubt the ZR1 will beat the Performante at the ring so what's that mean? Nothing really, it all goes back to what I said that no car is the fastest at every track. If you think that is condescending or ignorant then oh well, that's your problem not mine.

Last edited by blb078; 04-24-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:12 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Whatever nothing in my comments was ignorant or condescending, I own a C7 and a Lambo so I have a pretty good idea as to how both are built. However I even stated that the ZR1 will probably beat exotics at certain tracks and exotics will beat the ZR1. Why are you so pissy over it. And the fit and finish on them aren't subjective, it's pretty clear to anyone the lambo is put together better. I love it when corvette owners get their pants twisted over an exotic owner and have to always go back to something like the Lightning Lap.

Funny you compared the Z06 to the Huracan 610-4 so there you go comparing a track focused car to a non track focused car which is what a lot of people do, because as I stated most don't realize that exotic manufactures make different levels of their cars, one's meant to drive daily(yes that does happen), track focused cars, etc. I don't know if the Perforamnte will beat the ZR1 nor do I care and I doubt the ZR1 will beat the Performante at the ring so what's that mean? Nothing really, it all goes back to what I said that no car is the fastest at every track. If you think that is condescending or ignorant then oh well, that's your problem not mine.
I understand your POV.

If I had the money, would I take a loaded 720S over a ZR1... probably.

But the quality, fit & finish of the 2019 C7 models is very high for the price paid. It really isn't fair to compare fit & finish or built quality on hand-made vehicles costing 3x - 4x the price of C7's.

By that same logic, are Lambos & Ferraris junk compared to Bugatti's? Certainly not.

I have a 2018 Z06, and the improvements the new paint plant made are stunning compared to my model year.

Last edited by Newton06; 04-24-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:29 AM
blb078
Racer

I understand your POV.

But the quality, fit & finish of the 2019 C7 models is very high for the price paid. It really isn't fair to compare fit & finish or built quality on hand-made vehicles costing 3x - 4x the price of C7's.

By that same logic, are Lambos & Ferraris junk compared to Bugatti's? Certainly not.

I have a 2018 Z06, and the improvements the new paint plant made are stunning compared to my model year.
Where do you come up with junk? I never once said anything remotely close to that. If I thought the ZR1 or any vette was junk I wouldn't own one, and just for the record once the hype dies down on the car I'll be looking to get at ZR1 and still keep my current C7 if I thought the car was crap I wouldn't have one already and look to get a second one. However since you brought up Bugatti compared to Lambo then yes the Lambo definitely takes a back seat to it. Have you seen the inside of a Bugatti? I'm not sure there is even a piece of plastic visible on the car. I'm actually taking my Huracan in for it's yearly service tomorrow and my dealer is a Bugatti dealer too last a I saw they had one on the floor I'll take a look just to see but I'm pretty sure it's 100% leather, carbon fiber and maybe some aluminum inside that thing. The quality on that car is insane, same with Koenessig and Pagani. Cars in that category are made to have no expense spared, which is obvious based on their price tag.

The Huracan despite it's price tag does have plastic, too much in fact imo, which has been a complaint of mine. They since fixed that with the Performante with their forged carbon but really that's just a lower cost version of carbon fiber, so that car has it's faults of it's own. Is it fast, yes but all these cars are fast now, if one car finishes the ring in 6:50 and another in 6:59 that is irrelevant to me because me and 99% of the people who have these cars wont ever achieve anything close to that. So I look at what the average joe like myself can actually relate to. How fast does it go to 60mph, to 100mph, in a 1/4 and 1/2 mile and how will it feel at a typical track day, along with the interior and build quality. The huracan or the vette can do a lighting lap in 2:50 or 2:40 wont effect my decision either way. As to why some magazine people like euro cars more they just do, probably nothing going to change that, just like probably most everyone on here likes a C7 more than a mustang.

And trust me, you wouldn't want a loaded 720s, I almost pulled the trigger on one about 2 months back then the issues started to become more common. Now it seems they are almost as common as the previous cars they've made. Yes they are fast, but the lacking in the QC department. I saw a pic of the upper door trim, it looks as though it's held on by silicon and there's many things like that with the car or held on with velcro or two sided tape, not what you'd expect in a 300k car.

Last edited by blb078; 04-25-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:53 AM
AZ Car Guy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I understand your POV.

give me the choice of a Mercedes S550 or a Bentley, and I’d take the Mercedes every time. Half or third the price and much better quality in my opinion. But the Bently assembly is a true art compared to machine assembly. To each there own. It’s not always about price.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM
the professor
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Motor Trend's first drive has been added to the original post.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Car Guy

give me the choice of a Mercedes S550 or a Bentley, and I’d take the Mercedes every time. Half or third the price and much better quality in my opinion. But the Bently assembly is a true art compared to machine assembly. To each there own. It’s not always about price.

I don't follow - do you mean that if you had to spend $135k on a loaded S560 or $230k for a Flying Spur you would spend the $135k on the benz because it is better value? You're not saying that if I was going to buy you one of them for your birthday you would take the Benz, right?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Car Guy

Care to qualify this statement?

Get notified of new replies

To One more first drive... Top Gear UK (magazine/website)

Quick Reply: One more first drive... Top Gear UK (magazine/website)