C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 PM
lnkemb
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper pistons

Is there a difference between original lip seal brake pistons and o ring pistons?
I’m rebuilding a set and they were converted to oring. I want to use the original lip type seal but it appears there is a small step up in the lip type piston that is not in the oring seal groove.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by lnkemb
Is there a difference between original lip seal brake pistons and o ring pistons?
I’m rebuilding a set and they were converted to oring. I want to use the original lip type seal but it appears there is a small step up in the lip type piston that is not in the oring seal groove.

not interchangeable
The following users liked this post:
lnkemb (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Red vette racer is right they don't interchange .they have different pistons. My question is why would you want lip seals anyway, they aren't any better. Many of us on the forum use them and they work very well.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:54 PM
lnkemb
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
Red vette racer is right they don't interchange .they have different pistons. My question is why would you want lip seals anyway, they aren't any better. Many of us on the forum use them and they work very well.
I have issues with being a purist. I know I need to work that out with myself. I also feel the lip design allows the piston to retract more than than the oring by design. That is a debate for another day. Thanks for the input. Purchased a 78 a few weeks ago the only thing I found that is not correct to the car is 1 brake caliper, tires, hoses and belts. Do to the time it sat I'm rebuilding all of the calipers.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:31 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82

because a lip seal seals better than an o-ring....I tried the original o-rings from Zero Tolerance in my #1 below, two pumps at every corner and aluminum flakes floating in the brake fluid, rebuilt with my trusty lip seal J-56 stuff at the race track and after bleeding through a whole liter of SRF through a new MC my brakes were back, I sold off that o-ring junk, want expert advise?? call Ken at Lonestar.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper pistons

Quick Reply: Caliper pistons