Road Trip Advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:37 AM
01Vette343
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road Trip Advice!!

Hey all,

I’ve got a 2001 M6 coupe and in celebration of finishing up my capstone for my Masters this past week, I’m looking at trying to take a road trip in my Vette.

I live in southwest OH (Dayton) and I’m looking to see as much of the southeast US as possible in 5 or 6 days, taking all backroads. I really want to enjoy the character and charm of the south, and I feel that all the backroads and small towns will do a much better job of that than the interstates. I’ve been through KY and TN but have never been much past that.

Right now I’m looking at heading down towards the Jackson area of Mississippi, through AL and GA up to Mooresville, NC (always been a big NASCAR fan) and maybe out to Wilmington to the coast and then back to OH via Huntington, WV. That’s just preliminary though, of course. My longest road trip to date in the Vette is about 900 Miles to Gatlinburg and back.

I’m looking at 5 or 6 days and about 2000-2500 miles in total.

So with all that being said, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a good route (or any other suggestions) .

Oh and of course, pics are king, so I’ll try to attach a pic of my ride
Attached Images   
Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Head southwest out of Ohio and visit the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY. Check and see if the Corvette plant is open for tours while your there. You can head over to Charlotte for your NASCAR visits.

Like your color choice Enjoy the ride.
The following users liked this post:
01Vette343 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:26 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

ABSOLUTELY take a drive on the NATCHEZ TRACE!!!

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

Wife and I did it on the Harley 2 years ago and it was an incredible ride. It's a 444 mile long National Park with excellent blacktop in some of the most scenic America you could ever want to see. No commercial vehicles of any kind are allowed on it, just bicycles, motorcycles, and cars. We stayed at Bed and Breakfasts the entire time and it was an incredible vacation. You pick it up south of Nashville and will take you thru Florence AL where the famed Muscle Shoals recording studio is. When we were there, Gregg Allman was finishing up what was to be his final album! It will take you right to Jackson MS.

It's considered a 5 Star drive.

Don't forget to get your "I drove the Natchez Trace" T shirt!

https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/maps.htm

The Natchez Trace Parkway is a 444-mile recreational road and scenic drive through three states. It roughly follows the "Old Natchez Trace" a historic travel corridor used by American Indians, "Kaintucks," European settlers, slave traders, soldiers, and future presidents. Today, people can enjoy not only a scenic drive but also hiking, biking, horseback riding, and camping along the parkway.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcrider:
01Vette343 (04-25-2018), laurent_zo6 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:51 AM
cwf04vette
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you get to NC you have got to ride this road. It's a blast. I've done it on two wheels, but would love to do it in the vette.

https://tailofthedragon.com/
01Vette343 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If somehow you can fit it in your travels, make a trip through the Tail of the Dragon. And I second the recommendation about visiting the National Corvette Museum.
01Vette343 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:03 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

The Blue Ridge Parkway, onto tail of the dragon and Cherehalla (spelling?) parkway, then over to Bowling Green,
01Vette343 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 AM
01Vette343
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
ABSOLUTELY take a drive on the NATCHEZ TRACE!!!

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

Wife and I did it on the Harley 2 years ago and it was an incredible ride. It's a 444 mile long National Park with excellent blacktop in some of the most scenic America you could ever want to see. No commercial vehicles of any kind are allowed on it, just bicycles, motorcycles, and cars. We stayed at Bed and Breakfasts the entire time and it was an incredible vacation. You pick it up south of Nashville and will take you thru Florence AL where the famed Muscle Shoals recording studio is. When we were there, Gregg Allman was finishing up what was to be his final album! It will take you right to Jackson MS.

It's considered a 5 Star drive.

Don't forget to get your "I drove the Natchez Trace" T shirt!

https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/maps.htm

The Natchez Trace Parkway is a 444-mile recreational road and scenic drive through three states. It roughly follows the "Old Natchez Trace" a historic travel corridor used by American Indians, "Kaintucks," European settlers, slave traders, soldiers, and future presidents. Today, people can enjoy not only a scenic drive but also hiking, biking, horseback riding, and camping along the parkway.
That sounds incredible! I’ll have to make that a part of my trip also I’ve been to the NCM a few times, so I’m alright with leaving it out this trip, but it is an awesome experience for someone whose never been!
Old 04-25-2018, 11:48 AM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Seeing as you already live there, a trip through the Air Force Museum is probably not on your agenda. That would be a must see for me if I was heading that way. Stone Mountain by Atlanta GA is impressive. See it before they blow it up!
The Rabbi (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:23 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Tail of the Dragon, Natchez Trace and Blue Ridge/Skyline Drive.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:15 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by cwf04vette
If you get to NC you have got to ride this road. It's a blast. I've done it on two wheels, but would love to do it in the vette.

https://tailofthedragon.com/
The Tail is in Pidgeon Forge, Tn.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:49 PM
tupeloC5
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
The Blue Ridge Parkway, onto tail of the dragon and Cherehalla (spelling?) parkway, then over to Bowling Green,
I'll second that. I go to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park with the Vette twice a year. I highly recommend the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Dragon, the Cherohalla Skyway and US-276 between Brevard and Waynesville. Really, any road over there can be a blast. Fast, left-right, up-down, round and round fun, fun, fun. After a few days you'll look forward to driving a straight level road.

I live it Tupelo, MS so I'm right on the Natchez Trace. It's really nice from here to Nashville but it's a sight seeing road, not a chance to wring the Vette out. Speed limits are around 50 and it's a pleasant easy drive though. From Tupelo south to Natchez I didn't think much of it though. A little dull. The drive from Tupelo thru Alabama to GSMNP is pretty boring though. 8 hours of 4 lane highway and not much to see. You can stop at the space center in Huntsville though. Chatanooga is nice - great aquarium and Coker tire gives tours of their facilities and car collection - haven't done it yet.

I lived in Wilmington for 20 years. It's really nice to visit the beach and downtown is nice. The Battleship NC is worth a 4-5 hour visit.

All of these pictures are from The Dragon, Cherohalla and Blue Ridge Parkway.

Last edited by tupeloC5; 04-26-2018 at 05:57 PM.
01Vette343 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by tupeloC5
. Speed limits are around 50 and it's a pleasant easy drive though. From Tupelo south to Natchez I didn't think much of it though. A little dull.

DO NOT SPEED ON THE NATCHEZ TRACE!! It's heavily patrolled and the fines are beyond outrageous. It's a "yankee speed trap" of the first degree!
01Vette343 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:16 PM
tupeloC5
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

55 is about as fast as anyone goes on the Trace. No reason to go faster - the northern part offers excellent scenery and lots of great places to get out and explore. I usually only see one ranger though.

Western NC is different. Lots of fast roads to play on. The Dragon can be done without ever getting out of second gear and ever breaking 45MPH. Do it early in the morning or after 5 in the evening after everyone has gone to dinner. The drive from the Dragon over the the Foothills Parkway and back to Gatlinburg is also excellent.

US-441 between Gatlinburg and Cherokee is also best done early or late in the day to avoid excessive traffic and so that you can get parking at Newfound Gap. Fontana Dam, Linville Falls and Linville Caverns, Grandfather Mountain - It's all great. Spend an evening in Gatlinburg, walk the strip, go to Ripleys Aquarium, avoid the chair lifts they're not worth it - a ten dollar ticket to the top of the space needle is much better after dark. Sugarland and Onconaluftee visitor centers are worth a stop as is Mignus Mill. If you're driving along and hear water, stop and get out. So many cool water creeks to wade in and take waterfall pictures. Spend two hours at Floyd Garretts muscle car museum in Sevierville. I could go on and on.

Last edited by tupeloC5; 04-26-2018 at 07:24 PM.
01Vette343 (04-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Road Trip Advice!!

Quick Reply: Road Trip Advice!!