C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How to remove Wax on fender lips

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 AM
ukester
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

Default How to remove Wax on fender lips

Well after a couple of dozen wax jobs i am seeing my hard black fender lips and mud flaps turning a grey color. Any one else use something to turn these back to the original color?

Thanks
Mark
Old 04-26-2018, 08:38 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Mothers Back to Black.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

^^^^^ That would be my suggestion also.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Best thing since Sliced Bread! It's that good.

I have used Mother's 'Back to Black' for years but there is now some stuff that I feel works much better, protects and keeps my fender lips looking like "new" now for months. It's called 'WIPE NEW' and runs about $14. Follow directions, it just wipes on. It is clear and has the consistence of water, a little goes a long way.

After using this product the Mothers will stay on the shelf, it's that good.

Use the 'Wipe New' for trim, they also make stuff for flogged up clear light covers so make sure your buying the right wipe new.

I did our 2005 Vue body plastic which has been faded bad for years and it made it look like new again. It still looks that way 'many' months later. I'm sold.

PS: You may want to try using a tooth brush with warm soapy water to get most if not all of the wax off the plastic lips first.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-26-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Use a different wax. I use Turtle Wax ICE. It doesn't leave a powdery residue that can get in the pores of the plastic. You can do the whole car with it paint, glass, plastic, rubber, etc. The only downside I have found is it will leave a smeary look right after it is applied but washing the car and towel drying get rid of that look. It also holds up well over time.

Bill
Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

You're going to need a cleaner to get the wax off, hiding it with a trim dressing like "Back to Black" is just going to hide it for a few days until it burns off in the sun. Get something like Adam's eco APC or their Tire and Rubber Cleaner (Most brands make something like that but stuff from AutoZone and Wal-Mart are NOT the greatest). Anyways, a cleaner like that to break down the wax, de-oxidize the plastic, and THEN dress it with something like VRT or Back to Black if you must. There's better though.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:33 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

A pencil eraser might work. Give it a try before you spend any money on cover-ups. :-)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:40 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
Mothers Back to Black.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Since the plastic surface isn't smooth (lots of little dimples with attendant small hollows between them) the wax goes into the hollows and drys there. When you try to wipe it off your towels can't get down in the hollows and that is what causes the discoloration. Over the years I have used all sorts of stuff to try and get it out of the plastic and nothing seems to work well. I have used Prep Sol Wax and Grease removers along with a fine soft bristled brush to no avail. You just can't get the solvent down into the hollows in enough quantity to dissolve all of the dried wax residue. Products like Black Chrome, etc just cover the wax but can't stick to it so that is why they provide a permanent solution. Even Armorall wiped on with a cloth will make it look good for a day or so but eventually it will be back to the way it was before.

Best thing to do is avoid any wax that leaves a visible residue no matter how great it is since no nobody will notice your deep take a swim in it shine if the plastic surfaces are whitish colored instead of black. Besides if the paint surface is in good shape most wax products will give you the same deep appearance if you use them correctly. The best wax in the world won't make a turd look any better.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
DAC17 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:00 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I have come to realize over time how good some of the Turtle Wax products are like their bug & tar remover, its top shelf. I was using Mothers gold paste cleaner wax but now use Turtle Wax cream paste wax.

However I did try the Turtle Wax "ICE" a long time ago, I really did not like the results overall, it's a clear liquid you just wipe on so it really does not remove any surface oxidation like a cleaner wax would. It is also sitting on the shelf.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:18 AM
RangerZ
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Why have this issue to start with? Just use painters tape to cover the plastic surface prior to applying wax. A few extra minutes of prep will prevent the problem.
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (04-29-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerZ
Why have this issue to start with? Just use painters tape to cover the plastic surface prior to applying wax. A few extra minutes of prep will prevent the problem.
Same thought that I had to keep the wax off of the mottled surfaces of the wheel opening lips/spats.

Another option, although pricey, would be to replace the stock lips/spats with carbon fiber ones which are very glossy.

Montana Bob
Old 04-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Scottcolem
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

try this.....

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...-restorer.html
Old 04-30-2018, 10:51 AM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I had the same problem and tried a bunch of the suggestions above. None of them seemed durable enough to last.

I ended up Plasti-dipping my Stage 1 splitter, spats and mudflaps and they now finally have there nice deep black semi-gloss color back. I might have to redo them once a year or so, but that can be one of the winter clean-up projects so I don't mind. At least I should be good for the driving season. Figured if I do any waxing in between, I just put some low tack painters tape on them.

Sonny

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove Wax on fender lips

Quick Reply: How to remove Wax on fender lips