C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Tune question

Hi guys. Here’s my question.I have a 2014 z51 manual. As usual I can’t leave well enuff alone. My upgrades are haltech intake and Borla Xpipe,Mamo T.b. As soon funds allow.My next Hit is gonna be a set of headers. I don’t need the max possible gain just want some and the nice sound. I have 3 yrs left on my power train cuz I bought it certified and I hate the idea of a cel and don’t want to harm the motor. So I was planning on Arh mids with cats to meet up with my Borla.They say there’s a good chance won’t throw a cel but again no garuntee.I don’t want to travel and get into the tune thing just yet,maybe after a couple more mods. What can I do about the cel??? Could I just make an adjustment with a used intune from diablo I can buy used from another forum member? Maybe rig something at the O2 sensors?? The mids im sure even if a code is thrown are not suppose to change your stock adjustments that far out of whack for danger but may indeed throw a light. Then my wife will absolutely flip and tell me I’m heading down that same road as I did with my challenger! That’s another story. Thx sooo much in advance and also for all your past help guys. Gary
Old 04-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Scudz
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 192 Posts

Try calling Hutter Performance for professional advice. If I remember correctly, I think you’re in NE Ohio. Hutter is too. I hear good things about them.

Jim
Old 04-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Scudz
Pro

Stainless Works is also in our backyard. I’m considering them as well as ARH mids. I’m taking it pretty slow though. I want to get some more miles on my 17.

Last edited by Scudz; 04-26-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Anybody else???
Old 04-27-2018, 06:09 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary barnes 1098
Anybody else???
Big 3 is the company that did the tuning for stainless works, according to the SW web site. They (both companies) are in NE Ohio.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Thx. I called big3 for pricing on buying headers and install myself,they were considerably higher than what I can get them for online shipped to my door. And as far as a tune goes ,in case of a cel I asked for a quote also on a tune and it was almost 800$. I feel that price is also very high.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:56 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Anybody else???
Gary , Diablo Lew can tune it , you send him some logs and he makes the adjustments u then upload , rinse an repeat a few times and you have the equivalent of a good street tune which is all you need with your mods. he will turn off the CEL also

I did this with my C6 with CAI , Throttle Body , Fast 102 and headers ... she ran real good

Now about voiding the warranty , Diablo claims that if you restore the original tune nobody can tell not even GM , now I cant say for sure but with the millions of Diablos that are out there I am sure we would have heard from a Chevrolet , Ford or Chrysler owner who blew up their motor and had the ECM tune file analyzed by GM , Ford or Chrysler and then had their warranty claim denied

I would not worry about the tune as much as I would installing the headers , if you have a Major engine failure and you have added the headers you can almost guarantee the dealer will find a loop hole to get out of paying for the repairs .

Your car is an 11 second car , take it from me ,I know
The car is crazy fast now , I would not take the chance on voiding my warrant unless you are ready to shell out 10,000 for a motor plus the labor to install it
Dave
Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Well said Dave!!! Everything you tell me I agree with. So basically with just the headers I could possibly get screwed. So why not just do long tubes,tune and be done. If I do have Diablo Lew look at my logs and tune,what’s he need??? Would a intune2 or 3 work or do I need like a trinity. Thx so much.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Well said Dave!!! Everything you tell me I agree with. So basically with just the headers I could possibly get screwed. So why not just do long tubes,tune and be done. If I do have Diablo Lew look at my logs and tune,what’s he need??? Would a intune2 or 3 work or do I need like a trinity. Thx so much.

Little disclaimer first Gary as I can see all the flame wars starting about using a hand held tuner from all the " INTERNET MECHANICS ..."

1 - I don't work for Diablo but I have used them in the past and have been very happy with the results
( my 1/4 mile TIME TICKETS are proof )
2- The OP asked about a Diablo not a DYNO tune
3- The OP wants to be able to adjust his own parameters after the tune which the Diablo will let you do to almost all of the tables that you would want to adjust yourself
4- Doing a street tune with a Diablo is no different than doing a street tune with any other software , its just software .......no matter if its HP Tuners , EFI Live or CMR .....

Ok now , Gary to your questions

1 - INTUNE 2 will work if you are only going to do a ECM tune

2- An Diablo 8245 I3 is needed if you want the TCM tune also

They both will allow you access to ECM tables like fan speeds , Fuel enrichment , tire size , Rear end gear ratio , shift points , speed limiter .. I could go on and on but you get the picture ...

The I2 you can buy used , its slow to download , build the tune , then upload ....and does not do the TCM but its cheap and will also clear codes , you can get a GM I2 unmarried for =$250

The I3 8245 will do both TCM and ECM , its wicked fast to upload and down load and well worth the extra money as it is so much more responsive, plus it will clear codes and you can buy multiple licences for it if you have other cars you would like to tune . Make sure you buy the 48 state I3 and the 50 State IC will not let you modify tunes

The Trinity is really expensive in my book because it has all kind of bells and whistles that I would not use as most of these extra features as most are already included in my C7 PDR , like being able to measure 0 to 60 , 60 ft. time , and 1/4 mile times , G's you are pulling etc.

Make sure you buy the correct Diablo I3 , its model number is 8245 as the 8200 is 50 state legal and will not let you modify tunes

As far as the info Lew needs ... install the headers , Load the 91 octane tune (Use 93 octane tune if you can get this octane gas ) . Drive it for a 100 miles to let the fuel trims stabilize .

Your CEL should not come on right away, the light you will get is just a check that the ECM does after so many starts using the rear O2 sensors to check the efficiency of your cats . Depending on when the last check was and how many times you drive the car ... some folks go months before the CEL pops on . it never came on in my C6

But that is not a good thing because with out a tune , while the fuel trims will more than make up for the addition fuel that you will need with a CAI and headers while in Part Throttle Closed loop , when you go WIDE OPEN THROTTLE, you go into open loop and I can assure you , you will be lean ... and that is not good

Then using the Diablo you data log a steady state 2,400 rpm data log , go up on the highway and manual shift it down to a gear where you can hold 2,400 rpm, record it for about 3 minutes , then go home hook up the Diablo to your computer, find the data log and email it to Lew.

At the risk of oversimplifying what Lew does , Lew will modify the mid throttle closed loop tables , turn off the O2 check , and richen up WOT and then send it back to you , along with a kick *** Trans Tune , drop both files into your TUNES folder on the Diablo then plug into car and upload the new custom tunes that will pop up on the screen to chose from now

Once again let the trims stabilize then you will log a WIDE OPEN THROTTLE RUN , send that log to Lew , he will make adjustments to your OPEN loop tables . after this one usually your car will run like a scalded dog ....

Now download the DIABLO DATA viewer as you can play back your runs and DISPLAY as gauges , all the different parameters such as RPM , SPEED , Fuel Trims Knock Retard etc and every other parameter that the ECM is controlling or watching , its pretty cool

I found on my C6 that I was getting some knock retard on the 1st to 2nd shift , to play it safe I richened it up and the next log showed it had gone away .....

Its a good tool and I like the fact that I don't have to depend on anybody to put my stock tune back if I return the car back to stock or to make minute adjustments . just ask the many guys who have purchased a tune only to have their tuner go out of business ... that in itself is enough for me

Email me thru these forums if you have any more questions as I will be happy to answer them for you

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Roadrogue (10-30-2019)
Old 04-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Scudz
Pro

This is turning into a good thread.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scudz
This is turning into a good thread.
Thank u , if you look at my other posts I try to post facts and not "Internet Urban Legends" ..
I heard from a guy .... or I know I a guy who did .....

The same goes for a tune , Everybody says oh u have to dyno tune when in fact there are many ways to upload a tune , they all work the same .... it is the guy behind the tune who is "Twisting" the ***** that is what is important either using a dyno or just doing a street tune . You read the data , make the changes , then measure and monitor your results

For a simple CAI /Manifold/ Header /Throttle body tune any handheld is fine to do a remote tune . There are many great remote tuners out there like ECS , Chuck Cow , Diablo Lew who can provide you with a mail order tune that will make you think you are driving a different car lol lol . There are standard things that they change in the tune that are proven to work

Now when you get into heads , cam, blower etc ... these are more complicated tunes you can remote tune a startup tune that will be safe but then you need a wide band to to do a real remote tune or need to put it on a dyno to make sure the changes you made are producing the results you are looking for ...

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 07:03 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you for the mention Dave!

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Thank u , if you look at my other posts I try to post facts and not "Internet Urban Legends" ..
I heard from a guy .... or I know I a guy who did .....

The same goes for a tune , Everybody says oh u have to dyno tune when in fact there are many ways to upload a tune , they all work the same .... it is the guy behind the tune who is "Twisting" the ***** that is what is important either using a dyno or just doing a street tune . You read the data , make the changes , then measure and monitor your results

For a simple CAI /Manifold/ Header /Throttle body tune any handheld is fine to do a remote tune . There are many great remote tuners out there like ECS , Chuck Cow , Diablo Lew who can provide you with a mail order tune that will make you think you are driving a different car lol lol . There are standard things that they change in the tune that are proven to work

Now when you get into heads , cam, blower etc ... these are more complicated tunes you can remote tune a startup tune that will be safe but then you need a wide band to to do a real remote tune or need to put it on a dyno to make sure the changes you made are producing the results you are looking for ...

Dave
Thank you for the mention Dave!

One thing to add here is that I can handle whatever you need, but I also believe that for the C7

with the direct injection, I much prefer to use my Custom AutoCal with Serial Wideband.

Once we set you up with the serial wideband, we remotely street tune the car with the precision of

a serial Digital Wideband and so far as I know, ours is the only kit that you can do this without the

expense of professional tuner equipment.

Her's a link to my site.....CLICK HERE FOR MORE AUTOCAL INFORMATION

Please call me any time if you have any questions... 914-332-0049

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 04-28-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Thank you for the mention Dave!

Chuck CoW
Welcome .....

Dave
Old 04-29-2018, 01:00 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Hi guys. Here’s my question.I have a 2014 z51 manual. As usual I can’t leave well enuff alone. My upgrades are haltech intake and Borla Xpipe,Mamo T.b. As soon funds allow.My next Hit is gonna be a set of headers. I don’t need the max possible gain just want some and the nice sound. I have 3 yrs left on my power train cuz I bought it certified and I hate the idea of a cel and don’t want to harm the motor. So I was planning on Arh mids with cats to meet up with my Borla.They say there’s a good chance won’t throw a cel but again no garuntee.I don’t want to travel and get into the tune thing just yet,maybe after a couple more mods. What can I do about the cel??? Could I just make an adjustment with a used intune from diablo I can buy used from another forum member? Maybe rig something at the O2 sensors?? The mids im sure even if a code is thrown are not suppose to change your stock adjustments that far out of whack for danger but may indeed throw a light. Then my wife will absolutely flip and tell me I’m heading down that same road as I did with my challenger! That’s another story. Thx sooo much in advance and also for all your past help guys. Gary
I can definitely get you hooked up!

Please send me an email at -- diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com -- with the year, model, engine, tranny of your vete, any mods done to it, what octane gas you use, etc.. and I can send you a loooong email with info about the programmers, the custom tuning, the process, etc. Thanks man! -Lew

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-29-2018, 10:09 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I have a diablo tuner for sale in the for sale threads if you go the diablo route.

1098? Are you a Ducati guy?

I know exactly what you mean about not being able to leave well enough alone :P

Get notified of new replies

To Tune question

Quick Reply: Tune question