C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Is the C7 ZR1 the most powerful manual car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 02:01 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Default Is the C7 ZR1 the most powerful manual car?

Is it? Is it the most powerful manual mass produce car out right now? Save for maybe 1 or 2 million dollar car. Also, is it the fastest American sports car, in terms of top speed?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:08 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Is it? Is it the most powerful manual mass produce car out right now? Save for maybe 1 or 2 million dollar car. Also, is it the fastest American sports car, in terms of top speed?
Good point, most of the high horsepower luxury/exotic/sport/hypercars have been using all sorts of automatic/dual clutch solutions for a long time now. The ZR1 might really be the most powerful mass produced car with a proper transmission. Ford GT might take the title for the top speed.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:39 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Is it? Is it the most powerful manual mass produce car out right now?
- YES! And as I've been saying for a while now (and mostly why I bought my mine) the C7 ZR1 is the ONLY current and probably the LAST manual transmission sports car ever made - with the exception of the MX-5 and BRZ, which are not really comparable. Everything else is flappy paddle - with or without torque converters. There is a fair chance this may be the last manual Corvette too, if the C8 transmission rumors become true.

p.s. Ford just announced that they will cease ALL car production (next year? I think that was it) except for the Mustang and Focus, instead selling only vehicles the EPA classifies as light trucks (SUVs). The end is nigh.
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (03-31-2019)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:30 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Good point, most of the high horsepower luxury/exotic/sport/hypercars have been using all sorts of automatic/dual clutch solutions for a long time now. The ZR1 might really be the most powerful mass produced car with a proper transmission. Ford GT might take the title for the top speed.
Forgot about the GT there for a sec. thanks! I suppose you can say this is one special car!
Old 04-27-2018, 10:35 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

c8 will likely be a paddle only affair, if you want big HP and a stick, time is now.

Are you ZR-1 guys interested in the ZR-1 Net Registry?

I was the former prez of the ZR-1 club and I think we should expand this to encompass all 4 generations of ZR-1
Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
p.s. Ford just announced that they will cease ALL car production (next year? I think that was it) except for the Mustang and Focus, instead selling only vehicles the EPA classifies as light trucks (SUVs). The end is nigh.
So this caught my attention and decided to post a source. It is a pretty drastic move on Ford's part. They're really going all in on the whole SUV thing:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ab...except-mustang
Old 04-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Judgment Day
So this caught my attention and decided to post a source. It is a pretty drastic move on Ford's part. They're really going all in on the whole SUV thing:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ab...except-mustang
-Actually, the market went all-in on the SUV thing. Ford is just ahead of the curve noticing that they can use EPA requirements to their advantage because of how "car" is classified.

Here is what I wrote to a friend yesterday, when he asked me what I thought about Ford's decision:
In short: "In a democracy the public gets the leaders they deserve"

a.k.a. "heads up their asses"

...or the shorter version of the longer version: The collective has bitched about irrational, nonsensical and unrelated aspects of car ownership over the past few decades to such an extent that, fueled by overlapping bureaucracies, they have voluntarily and systematically given up freedoms and efficiency to feel better about being worse off. And doesn't that sound just like political system today?

The feedback loop of marketing and consumer response, ever since the minivan stigma was applied to recreate and make popular the less efficient SUV, has been a snowball rolling downhill. It picks up matter and momentum, self-feeding, without an outside system (presumably government) to guide it at opportune moments it just keeps getting larger and faster. Unfortunately government regulators (NHTSA, CARB, EPA) are even bigger snowballs on complimentary trajectories, reinforcing each other.

So since the early 90s car design has been affected socially to get progressively less efficient while simultaneously being engineered to get more efficient, so the uninformed (99% of buyers) don't even know that they could have more efficient, better performing, roomier vehicles than what is offered. Instead they are encouraged to buy bigger heavier trucks (GVW overlap) instead of smaller lighter cars. Wagons are all but removed from production, even though EVERYONE wants to buy wagons (SUVs are wagons, just lifted and less efficient).

And entitlement? Sure, add 800lbs to every car via extensive wiring harnesses...how else do you end up with midsize luxury sedans weighing 4500lbs while using lightweight alluminum and high strength steel? But it's ok, it gets 28mpg. Nevermind that without the bloat it could be getting 35mpg and cost 25% less to build. But then the higher the average vehicle price the higher the profits even with the same margin - and we know that adding feature content increases margin. That's why dealers hate selling subcompacts.

Franklin: "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." Perhaps a stretch in this case, but it relates metaphorically.

Boingo (best band ever): "Better dumb and happy than smart and without any friends."

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy?
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I believe it is the fastest production car with proper stick shift, which is pretty neat!

And the only car to battle for the throne is going to be a future Mustang. But if Ford doesn't break 755hp then it might hold the record forever.

It's probably the fasted, ie. top speed, manual production car as well. I don't count cars like the McLaren F1 a production car. There is not much in the way of a production line.
The following users liked this post:
keagan (04-27-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:50 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I believe it is the fastest production car with proper stick shift, which is pretty neat!

And the only car to battle for the throne is going to be a future Mustang. But if Ford doesn't break 755hp then it might hold the record forever.

It's probably the fasted, ie. top speed, manual production car as well. I don't count cars like the McLaren F1 a production car. There is not much in the way of a production line.
- I want an F1, it is my dream driver's car. I cannot afford one, of course, but that's fine. Love the car anyway.

That being said, I am pretty sure that the ZR1 would annihilate it on any road course. Direct comparison will probably never happen, but we have evidence we can deduce a comparison from. For example, F1 lap time at Le Mans was about 4:02
The Ford GT ran a 3:53 chasing a leading Ferrari
If we presume that each of these cars represented the peak of their eras then we also presume that the street versions of each are likely similarly gapped in terms of perrformance. Yes, I know the street Maclarens made more HP than the race cars, but they had less effective aero too and we are talking about lap times (overall point-to-point speed) not drag racing. I would expect the street version of the GT probably makes a similar tradeoff. And the ZR1 beat the GT around VIR, so it would most likely beat the F1 by a more significant margin - I estimate by 6 sec.

Also consider this. MacLaren themselves have stated their current street cars perform better than the F1, and none of those cars holds a lap record at VIR.

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-28-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:39 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
c8 will likely be a paddle only affair, if you want big HP and a stick, time is now.

Are you ZR-1 guys interested in the ZR-1 Net Registry?

I was the former prez of the ZR-1 club and I think we should expand this to encompass all 4 generations of ZR-1
Sure - why not?

I was a member for many years. Had a 90 and 94 ZR-1. Sold my 94 last week and put my 19 on order.

D.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:05 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
Sure - why not?

I was a member for many years. Had a 90 and 94 ZR-1. Sold my 94 last week and put my 19 on order.

D.
ZR-1DUDE, I told you to sell the 2012 ZR1, not the '94 ZR-1! You don't listen good.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:23 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
ZR-1DUDE, I told you to sell the 2012 ZR1, not the '94 ZR-1! You don't listen good.
2016 Z06 is going to be sold also.

Never said I was smart. :-)

D.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:34 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Most powerful? 0-60 in 2.85secs/212mph top end. Those numbers are pure magic. An incredible engineering feat. And, 20mpg hwy.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default Zr1

Forgot about the GT there for a sec. thanks! I suppose you can say this is one special car!
I wouldn't consider the Ford GT a " mass production " car. JMHO
Old 04-01-2019, 02:04 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Can it be said now that it is since the Shelby did not come with a manual... as yet.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:11 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,408 Likes on 847 Posts

I think the closest is a Hellcat - 707hp, 6spd manual available.
Ford GT is DCT only correct? and barely a production car; you have to 'qualify' to buy one....
Old 04-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acroy
I think the closest is a Hellcat - 707hp, 6spd manual available.
Ford GT is DCT only correct? and barely a production car; you have to 'qualify' to buy one....
-Didn't know the Hellcat could be had with a manual. That's pretty cool! So that's a close second (nevermind it isn't a sports car). Anything else? No BMWs, Mercs, Astons or Jags come with manuals on their top model configs. Same for Alfa, and I believe also for Porche. Obviously not Lambo or any of the hypercars (Bugatti, Koenigsegg, PAgani, etc.).

Get notified of new replies

To Is the C7 ZR1 the most powerful manual car?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Most powerful? 0-60 in 2.85secs/212mph top end. Those numbers are pure magic. An incredible engineering feat. And, 20mpg hwy.
20mpg? You wish.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by range96
20mpg? You wish.
20mpg hwy is easy in my ZR1. And that's with the big wing and soft track tires.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:48 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The McLaren F1 is the king of manual cars. Insane how a car designed and built in the 90s cannot be beaten today, especially considering its NA.

Also, porsche can if they wanted to can make a manual GT2 RS. They've probably done a survey with current GT3 RS and GT2 RS owners if they'd be interested in a manual GT2.

Quick Reply: Is the C7 ZR1 the most powerful manual car?