Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Please give your opinion of this super T 10

Old 04-28-2018, 12:09 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Default Please give your opinion of this super T 10 i bought from 1nc2fast

Edit:
Below is my orginal thread starting post and the resulting opinions and conversations that stemmed from it,

I was in a hard spot, felt i wasted a lot of money i couldnt just afford to throw away,

i wanted to as the seller suggested i do and get condition feedback on my trans that i bought from a post here on parts section but i didnt want to post it as a dispute,

i wanted to be able to have exchanges about the trans condition and my options in an open thread,
I do understand why it was moved here.

Please understand while the seller offered a refund it wasnt that simple it was "on his one-side unacceptable terms"
i simply do not believe the risk to my personal well being which he gave the impression it would be going to him would worth the small chance a refund would happen.

I also truly believe that if the seller actually did want to do right by me and make good on this and his word he would have done so when i contacted him,
not with the hostility and name calling he then showed me but rather with the same kindness and considerations he showed before the sale.

I am hopeful of a mutually agreeable solution but as it stands i paid top $$$ being told i was getting good to go and i got rusty cores needing gone through.

The replies in this thread are very clear.
Thanks all!

the parts thread

If you know your st10s then i want your opinions and feedback on this one,

thanks

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-21-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:42 AM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Was that on a submarine?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Pitted rusty parts are never good inside a transmission. Be prepared to apend extra to replace extra parts. Wonder how the bearings look...
Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 779 Likes on 533 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Better be cheap, that tranny has to come apart and be cleaned and gears polished. After that throw a rebuild kit in it and you should have a good strong unit. Don't try to run it with the rust in there it will just tear it up. What are the grooves on the input shaft?
Old 04-28-2018, 11:54 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Get some "Rust-Away" at Home Depot and soak it. That stuff is amazing. Might not be too pitted once you clean it up.

Then go through it and replace bearings, synchros etc.

JIM
Old 04-30-2018, 02:36 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Get some "Rust-Away" at Home Depot and soak it. That stuff is amazing. Might not be too pitted once you clean it up.

Then go through it and replace bearings, synchros etc.

JIM
Old 04-30-2018, 08:10 PM
SHARKBIT77
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Unfortunately the good Italian gears are getting hard to find. I'd keep looking unless its real cheap, has a steel mid-plate or something else special about it.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Not cheap, going rate or tad higher, said to be out of 78 pc

I was told hit it with scotch pad, add fluid good to go...

Last edited by The13Bats; 04-30-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:09 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Better be cheap, that tranny has to come apart and be cleaned and gears polished. After that throw a rebuild kit in it and you should have a good strong unit. Don't try to run it with the rust in there it will just tear it up. What are the grooves on the input shaft?

It has 3 grooves
Old 05-12-2018, 07:12 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKBIT77
Unfortunately the good Italian gears are getting hard to find. I'd keep looking unless its real cheap, has a steel mid-plate or something else special about it.

Italian gears for a Super T-10?? who sells those?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:19 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I just bought one out of a 79 camaro with three grooves, 2.64 first gear, with new Hurst short throw super shifter for $650.00 inside looked mint, all the teeth and pointy not rounded.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

This is mine, Nodular iron case and mid plate.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not that you care about my opinion...BUT...I have had two come into me that looked like that and much worse.

The customers did not want to put a lot into it due to the similar issues of just buying it and not knowing what was going on inside it.

I let the customer know that it could be cleaned up and depending on how those parts that were cleaned up...it then would be determined by them if they wanted to buy new parts or run with what they have and they could hope that was is good..or spend the money on the needed parts to fix it.

Many of them..at that time...were so disgusted in what they saw they did not want to buy all new parts and opted out for me to really clean it up and replaced only what needed to be replaced.. Some parts were replaced due to obvious reasons. And those that were still suspect...I left it up to them and let them know what the ill effects would be IF they were not replaced.

Using chemicals to eat the rust and wash it all out and re-assemble it. These transmission were re-assembled...and to date...it seems like they held up due to the cars was not brought back on a roll-back with the transmission looking like a hand grenade went off inside it.

I would at least give it a try and not dwell on it....or have it as an expensive core as you put it.

DUB
Old 05-17-2018, 11:19 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Dub,
I asked for and I value all "opinions " my issues with you stem from how you present your opinions, how you come off many times, no biggie,

In this case your reply helps it adds to my research if i understood your reply correctly you would try to make a trans that looks like mine work, replacing some without question bad parts and on customers request taking a gamble on parts you find marginal or in question and so far so good, but you would overhaul it, correct?

Would you wipe mine with a scotch pad, pop seals in this trans, add fluid and run as is?

My orginal post asked for opinions on this trans and for the most part everyone agrees to some extent but let me expand my questions by giving more info on the situation.

I was given the impression this was a trans that while it had been sitting it was low miles and in great shape , ready to go,
The seller said he knew transmissions and doesnt sell junk and in wanting this one ready to go for me and would installed new seals , new fluid go though it and have it ready for me,

i gave him the benefit of doubt and took him at his word.
Later even he made me believe that was a mistake.

From the description i expected i was getting something far closer to the pictures grumpy posted not what i posted the pictures of.

My first red flag was it pouring fluid out the rear seal even with yoke in place,
When i first looked into the trans seeing all the orange, the rust muck sludge under the shift forks, rusted sliders, rusted gears etc my crest fell,

i texted the seller my disappointment,

In basic the seller blamed me with angry cussing name calling
Texting me back the trans is fine, he said hit it with a scotch pad, add fluid..... and the new seals he said he would install he said "sorry" he didnt get around to that, but he said its nothing to pop a couple seals in,

He suggested a couple times i take it to a transmission shop and they will agree with him its a great trans ready to go.

So i posted this thread for opinions, ( i also emailed pics to a top trans builder ) his reply, glass beading and full rebuild.

So now with more info lets hear some more opinions,

Thanks!

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-18-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:07 AM
DUB
Race Director

It all depends on what is wrong with yours and how far you want to take it. Because as you know..if rebuilding this one costs more than you finding one in much better condition....and even if you buy another transmission,..and add it to the costs of this one and it is still less expensive. Then buying another transmission would be the way to go.

Even though I have a glass bead cabinet and use it. I am so super picky on what I use it on due to if I know that I cannot get 100% of any residue removed from a part. I fear the chance that that glass or media is in the area where oil or grease may be and begin the demise of that part.

So I would try the least invasive method of rust removal first an look at it and then make a judgment call from there. So I would try chemical first. If it were me. And I might use a Scotch-brite pad with the chemical also if I have some stubborn spots.

DUB
Old 05-18-2018, 11:17 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

rust in a transmission that should have gear oil in it is never a good thing,
my opinion, it needs to come apart, inspected, small parts and anything pitted replaced, it looks like a $200-$300 core desperately in need of a rebuild.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:24 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Dub,

As far as glass beading goes while i dont have a horse in that race a highly respected and recommended on this forum florida transmission shop is who replied to me they would do that, it must work for them

I cant say how many reasons your reply surprised me,

So unless i am mistaking what you posted you will be the only one to reply here so far to agree with the seller,

Which is in basic form, Hit it with a scotch pad, clean it, as is, and its good to go.

Redvette,
You are on the page of my way of thinking when i pulled the side cover,
I saw rusty pitted parts that at the least would need a tear down and some things replaced and rebuilt, not a gearbox that was, good to go....

Get notified of new replies

To Please give your opinion of this super T 10

Old 05-18-2018, 12:58 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

If that was in my shop I would take it all apart, I wouldn't trust ball bearings exposed to moisture as this one seems to have been. The plain metal parts can be blasted. The main shaft polished in a lathe if rusted. Looks like some pitting on the gear teeth. I know some might not cause an issue but I don't like pitting on contact areas. At this point the seller isn't going to do anything so what have you got to lose disassembling the whole thing to see what might be good/bad. Making a call from there, a good master kit is about $200 to get it back up. Those are good transmissions for street cars, we blew up a few of them racing but for a street cruiser the 264 1st gear is nice with a 336 or even 355 gear.

Too bad on the deal though.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:48 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

I think if it were mine I would do what I could to get my money back from the seller. If that is the description he gave you then he totally misrepresented it, no matter what he thinks he knows about it. Don’t know if that is possible at this point, but I don’t think I could feel comfortable running that trans as is. There are too many good used tranny’s around to settle for that, especially represented as a seal change and lube away from running it. No way! I mean he didn’t even change the seals as he said he would. If it was that easy, why didn’t he do it.

Ask him that if you take it to a trans shop and they say it is not good to go, he will give you your money back. No shop is going to tell you that thing doesn’t need gone through. It sounds like Paul already told you that. That would be good enough for me. Got to draw the line somewhere with some of these dishonest sellers and this is clearly one of them.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 05-18-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

From the photos you have shown. As you know... there is no way in knowing really how bad it is even though we all can see rust on the teeth of gears. And how this rust can more than likely be cleaned up. How bad it actually is...who knows. I am sure there is some level of pitting.

And like Gary mentioned. Any pitting is not good...or obviously is not preferred. But in some cases...a person can decide to live with it and see what happens....like the customers I had mentioned who chose not to replace everything.

I do not think that just hitting it with Scotchbrite is the trick here. I would have to take it apart. Because as I am sure you are aware of that even using Scotchbrite alone is going to leave so many fibers in the transmission that will come off of it. There are many areas that the Scotchbrite cannot get to that may need attention or to be replaced.

Now you know you can do as you wish and that is not me giving you permission to make your own decision. I am just stating the obvious. You know how you feel and more than likely already have a plan of attack on this.

I also REALLY hate that you are faced with this. TRULY I am.

DUB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please give your opinion of this super T 10