C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure Washer

Old 05-03-2018, 02:53 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Pressure Washer

How many of you use a pressure washer to wash your Vette?
I need to buy & use one for other purposes around the home, shop and property, but with the pressure cranked down it's perfectly safe to use on our prized cars isn't it? What soap do you use/recommend? Is there an additive to reduce/eliminate water spotting?
Thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:58 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I’ve never used a pressure washer on a car. I’m guessing if there’s a nozzle specifically designed for car washing it could be safe, but all of my nozzles seem like they’d be way too strong for car washing. I clean concrete, stone, siding, and fences with ours, but not cars.

Last edited by Jstan2014; 05-03-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 AM
SK '08
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a Ryobi Electric pressure washer. It has 2000 psi max. I like it. As far as nozzles go, there are different types that come with that deliver different pressures. I only use the max nozzle close up for wheel wells/ tires & stand further back when rinsing.

I use a soap detergent that is safe for cars & the p.w. itself. Drying it, I drive it into the garage, out of the sun to avoid waterspots and wiping it down quickly. I plan to get an air compressor to cut down on time it takes to wipe/ dry the car.

Last edited by SK '08; 05-03-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:53 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
I’ve never used a pressure washer on a car. I’m guessing if there’s a nozzle specifically designed for car washing it could be safe, but all of my nozzles seem like they’d be way too strong for car washing. I clean concrete, stone, siding, and fences with ours, but not cars.
I was at the local car wash the other day, first time since buying my Vette, and appreciated the water pressure and spray pattern that it put out. Especially liked the way it cleaned the wheels, very nice! Looking for a better way than the old garden hose, wash mitt and bucket of car soap and water!

By the way, was at Home Depot and saw a beautiful Makita 36 volt, w/ dual 18 volt batteries, compact leaf blower/Vette dryer! I want one!
The following users liked this post:
Jstan2014 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:55 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,445 Likes on 754 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have been using a pressure washer on my cars ever since I have been driving.....about 45 years. I have never had a problem with any of them, commercial, electric, or consumer gas models. Like any tool, you need to read and understand its use. I have never damaged paint, or any plastic part. I wash the entire car, even the engine compartment.......the only thing you have to fear is fear itself.
Jstan2014 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:58 AM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I have several times for a quick wash off of dust or around here pollen. I use one of the less aggressive nozzles and don’t hold it real close to the car. I have a ceramic coating on mine including the wheels which makes it much easier to get off brake dust. But to get it really clean I use the 2 bucket system with a really soft mitt. I use the master blaster to dry it off. Makes that much easier.

Last edited by ONEBADZ; 05-03-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
How many of you use a pressure washer to wash your Vette?
I need to buy & use one for other purposes around the home, shop and property, but with the pressure cranked down it's perfectly safe to use on our prized cars isn't it? What soap do you use/recommend? Is there an additive to reduce/eliminate water spotting?
Thanks!
Don't do it! I have had a Karcher Honda powered 3,000 PSI pressure washer for a couple of years. Last year I had a brain fart and used it in an attempt to clean the barrels of my wheels that were filthy and had never been done in 10 years and as well as being dirty had the adhesive tape residue from several previous wheel balances. I damaged several of the wheels that will now need to be refinished. If there is a small barely noticeable chip in the paint the high pressure water will get under the paint and lift it off the surface. I have several dime and quarter sized bare spots that it tried to touch up but they are still very visible. Next year I will have them professionally refinished. Only hand washing for me from now on.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:22 AM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Anyone use a leaf blower to dry their cars? Seems like it would be easy to blow debri and dirt onto the car.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac
Anyone use a leaf blower to dry their cars? Seems like it would be easy to blow debri and dirt onto the car.
I bought this from Chemical Guys for about $30.00. Much easier to handle that a full sized garden leaf blower.

gpruitt54 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:43 AM
FasNuff
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If your car has been treated with XPEl or any of the other protective materials, Power washing is not recommended. I also use a Metro Masterblaster for drying, totally touch free.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:54 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap
Don't do it! I have had a Karcher Honda powered 3,000 PSI pressure washer for a couple of years. Last year I had a brain fart and used it in an attempt to clean the barrels of my wheels that were filthy and had never been done in 10 years and as well as being dirty had the adhesive tape residue from several previous wheel balances. I damaged several of the wheels that will now need to be refinished. If there is a small barely noticeable chip in the paint the high pressure water will get under the paint and lift it off the surface. I have several dime and quarter sized bare spots that it tried to touch up but they are still very visible. Next year I will have them professionally refinished. Only hand washing for me from now on.

I totally agree with you, if there is any imperfections in the paint, paint chips, hood stripes, emblems, and weather-strip, your pressure washer will be sure to find and expose them. All is well until water gets in the corner of a rock chip and blows a 2"X2" section of paint right off if you are not careful. I'll stick with decent water hose and elbow grease, don't think my Z06 ever got dirty enough for me to consider needing extra water pressure to cut 5 minutes off a wash job. It's kind of weird hearing this after reading so many post about Corvette owners not driving in the rain but, 1500 to 2300 PSI of water pressure is ok? IMO
Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm gonna talk to the local car wash owner to find out how many psi the various settings use.

Last edited by TomdaToolman; 05-04-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I am afraid to use a power washer on the car but that is just me. I did buy an electric Toro leaf blower specifically for the car(s). Works great. Especially on the wheels. Wish I had purchased it sooner.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I never use a power washer or leaf blower. Do it all by hand using high quality cloths & towels.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

As far as rinsing goes, get yourself a deionized water system. Griot's sells one for $300, but it's a bit overpriced for 0.5 cu/ft of resin. A local water filtration supplier could probably hook you up with a 1.0 cu/ft bottle for closer to $250. Rinse and walk away, literally no drying required and NO water spots. Actually works better on hot days with some sun believe it or not. Best detailing investment I've ever made, especially living in Florida with many hot days and very hard water.

Also, power washer + foam cannon, check it out at YouTube. Cheap foam cannons can be had on Amazon for $16.
TomdaToolman (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:35 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,235 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
I have been using a pressure washer on my cars ever since I have been driving.....about 45 years. I have never had a problem with any of them, commercial, electric, or consumer gas models. Like any tool, you need to read and understand its use. I have never damaged paint, or any plastic part. I wash the entire car, even the engine compartment.......the only thing you have to fear is fear itself.
Same here, wouldn't think twice about using one on any vehicle I have. Thirty plus years using them on just about everything I own and never a problem.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:48 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

I got a pressure washer from Lowes and the foam cannon from amazon. The pressure washer has different nozzles and I use it all the time with no issues.

Jstan2014 (05-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Pressure Washer

Old 05-03-2018, 06:14 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
As far as rinsing goes, get yourself a deionized water system. Griot's sells one for $300, but it's a bit overpriced for 0.5 cu/ft of resin. A local water filtration supplier could probably hook you up with a 1.0 cu/ft bottle for closer to $250. Rinse and walk away, literally no drying required and NO water spots. Actually works better on hot days with some sun believe it or not. Best detailing investment I've ever made, especially living in Florida with many hot days and very hard water.

Also, power washer + foam cannon, check it out at YouTube. Cheap foam cannons can be had on Amazon for $16.
At my Arizona home, I had a water softener installed in the house and off the water softener I had a hose bib attached for washing the car. The water in Arizona is considered very hard. It does work, though the water spots left behind are salt based instead of calcium/magnesium carbonates based.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by EviLS7
I got a pressure washer from Lowes and the foam cannon from amazon. The pressure washer has different nozzles and I use it all the time with no issues.

Having read over this thread, and now seeing this, I think I’ll get a foam cannon!

I just have one question. Can the same soaps that we use in our wash buckets be used in the foam cannons?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

If you use a power washer, be sure to keep the nozzle a good distance from the car. It's easy to get focused on hard to remove spots while inching closer and closer to the vehicle. Once you let off the trigger, the forward force you were using will be released due to the drop in pressure and it's possible to push the nozzle right into the car. Not that I know personally...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pressure Washer