C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 ABS lateral accelerometer - alternate options?

Old 05-07-2018, 01:05 AM
jklumpp
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C4 ABS lateral accelerometer - alternate options?

Hi All,
I'm new to the forums, but hoping the brains trust on here might have the expertise to help me out.
I brought my first corvette just over 12 months ago (a 1991 C4), and have had an ongoing problem with the ABS.
The 'Service ABS' light was on when I brought the car. My mechanic diagnosed the problems and we ended up replacing the ECU, Pump & Lateral accelerometer sensor.
With limited parts available in Australia of course I had to source the parts from US salvage yards. After the first faulty ECU, I ended up buying 2 of everything I needed from different suppliers, so that I had an alteranate should anything turn out to be faulty, and I wouldn't have to wait another 2 weeks to receive parts....
Anyway, shortly after getting it all up & running, we had the Lateral Accelerometer (LA) throw another fault code, and we swapped it out with the 2nd sensor and all was good for a few weeks.
The that LA failed as well...
The Auto electrician has pulled all 3 sensors apart (original & 2 replacements), and all have failed in different ways, so we don't think it's being caused by something else in my system - just appearrs to be bad luck & 26 year old electronics....

I'm hoping to find another solution, other than buying more second hand sensors & hoping to find a good one.
Bosch have been no help, noting only that they discontinued manufacture of these parts in 1993! (as soon as they were no longer being installed in new cars!)
No other specs or details appear to be available to help us try & find an alternate.

Has anyone else been through this and found a solution, or does anyone have any suggestions that might assist?

The rego inspector refused to pass the car with the ABS warning light on, so I'm without a corvette until I can get this resolved!

FYI, the part numbers are:
Bosch P/N: 0-265-005-101
GM P/N: 1009602
Old 11-21-2018, 01:25 AM
jklumpp
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an FYI for anyone that ends up here with a similar problem - we ended up running new wiring from the LA to the ECU, and all has been well for several months now....
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (11-21-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 ABS lateral accelerometer - alternate options?