C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much timing on NA car pump gas 93

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 03:12 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default How much timing on NA car pump gas 93

On LS7 motor HCI, headers, MSD manifold and about 11.8-12.0 compression in a stick car. How much timing at WOT (5,000-6,000 rpm etc) is usually done. Pump gas 93 octane. I know there are some variations I am at 21 degrees with a safe tune. I have heard some at 25-26 degrees but that may be a swing for the bleachers type timing. Assuming no knock how much HP might one pick up at 600 rwhp - 10-15 hp at 25 degrees??? Thought someone might have been through this and a can shed some light.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:50 PM
roastin300
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Start putting a degree in at a time and do multiple WOT pulls under different driving and environmental conditions (heat soaked engine bay after sitting at idle, cool and hot day, etc tec) and see if it knocks. Keep going until you see the start of knock activity and then back out a couple degrees. If its apparant on a hot day and not on a cold day then make your IAT ignition retard a little more aggressive that way you keep the power in it on the cooler days.

Another tip: eliminate the AFR timing advance table. Make it all 0. Then you can more consistently control timing using the main spark table, and the IAT and Coolant Temp tables.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:56 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Your methodology above is what has been done on mine. I was just trying to survey what other people are running with regards to total timing at higher rpms with pump gas on an NA motor with cam headers etc.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:42 PM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by roastin300
Another tip: eliminate the AFR timing advance table. Make it all 0. Then you can more consistently control timing using the main spark table, and the IAT and Coolant Temp tables.
BAD IDEA.

Flame propogation speed changes with AFR. It's physics, and this is why this table exists in the ECU. Dialing it to zero changes the delivered timing, but can NOT change the physics of what's happening inside your engine.

You would be better served to explore the options of running rich with more total timing vs lean with less total timing (as this table already helps compensate) and see which combination gives you best power without overheating anything (like the catalysts, O2 sensors, etc). Hint: GM already did a really good job of this.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've never seen an ls7 like 25 degrees unless the cylinder head is a pile of ****. Most like 21-22. Some even less
The following users liked this post:
double06 (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 01:27 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Thanks Fran.
Frans96ss (06-06-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You tune based on torque output or power. There is a bell curve that shows timing to power in a general sense to get a feeling. Tuning by knock is a terrible way to guess yourself to HP by purposely inducing damage to engine. This is why we use dynos usually you will see torque increase with timing until it hits a flat spot. On road this can be accomplished with really smart data logging and inducing torque from G’s and RPM; but as you can imagine this is a difficult task due to all the variables on G’s on a road.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
I've never seen an ls7 like 25 degrees unless the cylinder head is a pile of ****. Most like 21-22. Some even less
Frans,

Can you expand on that statement? Why will a crappy head tolerate more timings vs a good head?

Very interesting.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Chamber design, flow, etc all have big effects on timing a car can take, and be efficient at.

Asking questions like this online is an easy way to hurt a motor. Tune what your motor likes. Could be 15 degrees or 28 degrees. I've seen it all over. Even the cam timing can be off a few degrees from grind to grind, etc.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Da Z06
Frans,

Can you expand on that statement? Why will a crappy head tolerate more timings vs a good head?

Very interesting.

Thanks!
The more efficient the cylinder head the less timing it will need. Old SBC stuff likes 36 or so degrees of timing while an LSX depending on head wont take more than mid 20's or so.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:07 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLX
BAD IDEA.

Flame propogation speed changes with AFR. It's physics, and this is why this table exists in the ECU. Dialing it to zero changes the delivered timing, but can NOT change the physics of what's happening inside your engine.

You would be better served to explore the options of running rich with more total timing vs lean with less total timing (as this table already helps compensate) and see which combination gives you best power without overheating anything (like the catalysts, O2 sensors, etc). Hint: GM already did a really good job of this.
So, since AFR is not measured (by the PCM), how do you tune this table?

Souds like a burst knock stuff to me.

Also agree with 21..22 degrees of timing.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:27 AM
TurboLX
Pro

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
So, since AFR is not measured (by the PCM), how do you tune this table?
The table input is COMMANDED EQ RATIO. If you have done the fuel injector characterization and airflow mapping (both MAF and Virtual VE) correctly, your actual AFR and commanded AFR should be the same thing.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:03 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

The table input is COMMANDED EQ RATIO. If you have done the fuel injector characterization and airflow mapping (both MAF and Virtual VE) correctly, your actual AFR and commanded AFR should be the same thing.
Now I understand. And they are after tuning.

I see your point though. But it's all about the money and most customers do not pay for tuning as much as GM does internally.

May I ask, how many hours (weeks?) it takes to tune a new GM engine?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 AM
Corvalex
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the original GM "Max torque timing table" from a ´09 LS7 (without knocking):

At high revs with full-throttle (CylAirmass 0.80-0.96) i read the perfect timing between 24-26.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:04 PM
TurboLX
Pro

May I ask, how many hours (weeks?) it takes to tune a new GM engine?
That depends. At the OEM level, starting from scratch all the way to passing emissions, meeting warranty and power targets, and drive quality tuning, it's THREE YEARS.

If you're talking about starting with a running LS3 (GenIV, fixed cam) and just adding a supercharger, cam, induction, and fuel system, it normally takes about 5 hours with the right tools to get the base mapping done, then a handful of cold starts later, followed by some minor tweaks to get to what most consumers here would consider an excellent tune. Adding variable cam or direct injection just adds more time on top of that. Starting with a known good calibration from the manufacturer is always nice.

Polishing some more in order to meet emissions on a CARB legal emissions package adds another week or so as long as nothing mechanical interferes. Having the right test environment and equipment is absolutely key here though. This is not something I do just driving around on the road with a scanner.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:57 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

That depends. At the OEM level, starting from scratch all the way to passing emissions, meeting warranty and power targets, and drive quality tuning, it's THREE YEARS.
My god.

Thanks Greg.

If you're talking about starting with a running LS3 (GenIV, fixed cam) and just adding a supercharger, cam, induction, and fuel system, it normally takes about 5 hours with the right tools to get the base mapping done, then a handful of cold starts later, followed by some minor tweaks to get to what most consumers here would consider an excellent tune. Adding variable cam or direct injection just adds more time on top of that. Starting with a known good calibration from the manufacturer is always nice.

Polishing some more in order to meet emissions on a CARB legal emissions package adds another week or so as long as nothing mechanical interferes. Having the right test environment and equipment is absolutely key here though. This is not something I do just driving around on the road with a scanner.
Agree.

I have always enjoyed your videos and how you have been very helpful for our tuning community.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Pekka_Perkeles; 06-23-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

My god.

Thanks Greg.

Agree.

I have always enjoyed your videos and how you have been very helpful for our tuning community.

Thanks again.
Can you post some links to his videos, as I'm new to tuning and have just started to work with my C6 Grandsport with catted headers. The base tune was okay but now my plan is to go through it with a fine tooth comb over the next few months.

Get notified of new replies

To How much timing on NA car pump gas 93

Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by truth.b
Can you post some links to his videos, as I'm new to tuning and have just started to work with my C6 Grandsport with catted headers. The base tune was okay but now my plan is to go through it with a fine tooth comb over the next few months.
https://www.youtube.com/user/eficalibrator/videos

truth.b (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 03:35 PM
TurboLX
Pro

My YouTube channel only has the demos (and some waterskiing). If you want to get the whole training video, you can order directly through our partners HERE. Summit Racing Equipment also stocks them.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

My YouTube channel only has the demos (and some waterskiing). If you want to get the whole training video, you can order directly through our partners HERE. Summit Racing Equipment also stocks them.
Indeed.

These are very good and worth the price. Ask me how I know...

Quick Reply: How much timing on NA car pump gas 93