Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Sludge in oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 01:40 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

Default Sludge in oil tank

Who here has removed and disassembled their oil tank? I pulled mine this morning to fix the oil tank O-ring rattle issue and when I looked in the bottom of the tank it was full of sludge. I failed by not taking a picture or video but it was pretty nasty inside there. When I drain my oil it looks clean. Not like that. Is the sludge a common thing in the bottom? It was below the pickup screen. Pic of the damn broke O-ring for fun.

Last edited by 03BlkZ; 05-13-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:01 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Damn no response yet.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 PM
JThomas
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I have to be honest, I don't think many people take the tank apart. I have a 2012 ZR1, with 15,750 miles. I "think" it has had three oil changes since new (Factory Fill). Never considered taking the tank apart.

Good information.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:32 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JThomas
I have to be honest, I don't think many people take the tank apart. I have a 2012 ZR1, with 15,750 miles. I "think" it has had three oil changes since new (Factory Fill). Never considered taking the tank apart.

Good information.
I figured that but I have seen where some have done it for the repair I did today. There is about 2 inches of dead space under the oil pickup screen and it seems gunk accumulates there. There should be a plug on the bottom of the tank also in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:04 PM
09BlackCloud
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ
Who here has removed and disassembled their oil tank? I pulled mine this morning to fix the oil tank O-ring rattle issue and when I looked in the bottom of the tank it was full of sludge. I failed by not taking a picture or video but it was pretty nasty inside there. When I drain my oil it looks clean. Not like that. Is the sludge a common thing in the bottom? It was below the pickup screen. Pic of the damn broke O-ring for fun.
While my engine is apart, I disassembled my tank to send it to Lingenfelter for their modification. I had about an 1/8" of carbon sludge in the same area of the tank. My oil pan was clean on the inside and the oil has always been clean. This seems to be an area for carbon to collect and settle.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:03 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

When I did the LPE mod, I don't recall there being sludge. My car only had 19K miles on it so that may have been a factor. I would guess it parts of the design since it's below the oil lines
Old 05-13-2018, 05:24 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by _BlueZ06_
When I did the LPE mod, I don't recall there being sludge. My car only had 19K miles on it so that may have been a factor. I would guess it parts of the design since it's below the oil lines
My car has 16500 miles. GI assumed it was due to a lot of short trips followed by lengthy periods of sitting. Glad I had it opened up and was able to clean it up.

Last edited by 03BlkZ; 05-13-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Oil Sump Tank Disassembly

My car has 25000 miles and I have had the oil tank apart twice. There has been no sludge in the bottom of the tank. For the first 20000 miles, the oil used was Mobil One 5W30, Since then the oil is Mobil One 0W-40.
Oil changes are typically at one year intervals and maybe 3000-3500 miles. The car is occasionally tracked. NO SLUDGE.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Not in mine

Took mine apart today to send the LPE for added volume, nothing in the bottom at all, quick quirt with brake cleaner and it was ready to ship.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:08 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Did the LPE mod last year as well, 2006 Z06, ~45k km. No sludge either, and Mobil 1 5w30 since new.

I hope this doesn't derail the thread here but here's a tip that might help with this:
- Try to get the oil temp up to operating temp every time you drive the car. On a cold start, fuel and water condensation contaminate the oil and getting it into op temp is what burns these off, as well as the sludge (IMO). If you struggle with this, buy a simple cover for the oil cooler and cover half - that helped me a lot up here in Toronto.

Since the tank is out, it's fairly easy to clean out any buildup. I change my oil annually before storage, so that's usually only with ~3-4k km on it and 4-6 trackdays. Blackstone says it could go longer too. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:14 AM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by anth115
Did the LPE mod last year as well, 2006 Z06, ~45k km. No sludge either, and Mobil 1 5w30 since new.

I hope this doesn't derail the thread here but here's a tip that might help with this:
- Try to get the oil temp up to operating temp every time you drive the car. On a cold start, fuel and water condensation contaminate the oil and getting it into op temp is what burns these off, as well as the sludge (IMO). If you struggle with this, buy a simple cover for the oil cooler and cover half - that helped me a lot up here in Toronto.

Since the tank is out, it's fairly easy to clean out any buildup. I change my oil annually before storage, so that's usually only with ~3-4k km on it and 4-6 trackdays. Blackstone says it could go longer too. Hope this helps.
I recently purchased the car from my father in law and he mostly did short trips around town and then it would sit for months. I assume that's what happened and why there was some gunk in the bottom. He only put 400 miles on it last year so it did a lot of sitting. I have been driving it plenty long to get to temp so hopefully that will solve it.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I bought my 07 Z06 last Nov with 27Kmiles. It was loved and cared for, but when people do only 2000 miles a year over ten years, they think that because no real mileage was put on there is no need for routine maintenance. I dumped all the fluids the 1st week, and have been working my way through the car to be sure it is track capable. 1st day at the track and ABS misbehaved, I've felt a brake drag when backing up, noises etc, pulled all the pistons out of brakes, bleeders were caked with crap, pistons had accumulated a varnish, seals were glued to the sides of the pistons, so some would drag and not retract etc. This after two brake flushes since I bought it. You get humidity in brake fluid, oil, gas and it hammers everything. Cars need to be driven.

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ
I recently purchased the car from my father in law and he mostly did short trips around town and then it would sit for months. I assume that's what happened and why there was some gunk in the bottom. He only put 400 miles on it last year so it did a lot of sitting. I have been driving it plenty long to get to temp so hopefully that will solve it.

Last edited by tw78911sc; 05-25-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:17 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tw78911sc
I bought my 07 Z06 last Nov with 27Kmiles. It was loved and cared for, but when people do only 2000 miles a year over ten years, they think that because no real mileage was put on there is no need for routine maintenance. I dumped all the fluids the 1st week, and have been working my way through the car to be sure it is track capable. 1st day at the track and ABS misbehaved, I've felt a brake drag when backing up, noises etc, pulled all the pistons out of brakes, bleeders were caked with crap, pistons had accumulated a varnish, seals were glued to the sides of the pistons, so some would drag and not retract etc. This after two brake flushes since I bought it. You get humidity in brake fluid, oil, gas and it hammers everything. Cars need to be driven.
I couldn’t agree with you more! I bought an 06 Z last October, and it was a “garage queen” with only 13,400 miles. The first thing I had done, was to have ALL fluids drained, flushed clean and refilled. Even had the gas tank cleaned out. Wasn’t cheap, but wanted the old stuff out.

Get notified of new replies

To Sludge in oil tank

Quick Reply: Sludge in oil tank