C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone owned a Lambo LP550/560 and a C7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 AM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Has anyone owned a Lambo LP550/560 and a C7?

I’m in a position where I could potentially upgrade from my Procharged C7 to a Lamborghini LP550-2 or a LP560-4. I’ve wanted a Lamborghini ever since I was a kid, and I was blown away by driving one round a track about 10 years ago. However this was well before I’d driven ANY sort of performance car.

I love my Procharged C7, which is undoubtedly cheaper to run, cheaper to insure, cheaper to maintain (do most of it myself), more texhnologically advanced and faster than a LP. It’s also probably a rarer sight in the U.K. than a lambo too. So there’s lots of plus points for keeping the C7 before I even think about the cost of changing.

But all that said a Lambo is a flipping Lambo. I haven’t test driven the one I’m looking at yet, but before I even go down to look at it and am overcome with childhood nostalgia I want to ask if anyone here has driven a C7 and a Gallardo back-to-back our owns both cars? I’d really like to hear some insight from others.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Forget the 2, if you do it, get AWD. I was seriously looking as well these past 6 months and I honestly do not want to take a step.back in vehicle age, such as a 2013 Z06 for a 2008-2010. As the Lamborghinis get newer the prices surge quite a bit. A Gallardo is the entry level and nice used ones can be found between upper 80s and lpw 120s depending on variant and mileage. But damn that Hurracan is sick.

Beside the entry price for any Lambo, is costs for maintenance and insurance. Very very big difference between a 2013 or newer Corvette and a Lambo.

If you can afford both, why not. I just could not justify a Lambo sitting in the garage more than my Z. At least I can daily drive the Z if I choose to. A Lambo is far from any DD practicality and you will be even more worried with a Lambo over the Z no matter where you park.I passed on the reality of it all. But if I do get crazy, it would be for the lines of a F-488 Spyder over a Gallardo.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 05-14-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:20 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Www.ferrarichat.com has a section for lamborghinis.

Probably a better area to get info on Lamborghini ownership experience.

Good luck and I feel you have the coin...give the Lamborghini a shot..

If you don’t like it you can always sell it..

Repairs and maintaince of course could be expensive but you know that going in...

I’d imagine having a Lamborghini tech go over the car before purchasing makes sense.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:26 AM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Forget the 2, if you do it, get AWD. I was seriously looking as well these past 6 months and I honestly do not want to take a step.back in vehicle age, such as a 2013 Z06 for a 2008-2010. As the Lamborghinis get newer the prices surge quite a bit. A Gallardo is the entry level and nice used ones can be found between upper 80s and lpw 120s depending on variant and mileage. But damn that Hurracan is sick.

Beside the entry price for any Lambo, is costs for maintenance and insurance. Very very big difference between a 2013 or newer Corvette and a Lambo.

If you can afford both, why not. I just could not justify a Lambo sitting in the garage more than my Z. At least I can daily drive the Z if I choose to. A Lambo is far from any DD practicality and you will be even more worried with a Lambo over the Z no matter where you park.I passed on the reality of it all. But if I do get crazy, it would be for the lines of a F-488 Spyder over a Gallardo.
Shame about the LP550-2 not being worth it. There is an amazing one for sale near me with carbon front and rear bumpers, carbon fixed spoiler and a £7k exhaust system. The LP560-4's are generally quite a bit cheaper tho.

Last year I drove my C7 only 1000miles, because we had a pretty harsh winter with lots of salt on the roads and my C7 also runs semi-slicks so no good when its raining heavy either. The Lambo would probably only get about the same amount of use.

If it was anything but a Lambo, it would be a total no-brainer for me. I'd never swap my C7 for a Ferrari 360/430. But ugh, having a lambo is a life long dream. I just wonder if the C7 has made my dream redundant.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:55 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Lifelong dreams are meant to be explored.

If you have the money go for it.

Btw putting winter tires make any corvette quite capable.

Drive more than a 1000 miles a year would be my suggestion as well.

Good luck deciding if you pursue that life long dream.

I say go for it...

One life...one journey..when it’s over it’s over...as long as you ve got the money and if that’s not an issue for you....etc

Go for a test drive and see what you decide.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

This car is slower than my 18 z06 according to track lap times. I would still sell my left ******** to have one though.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:36 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,920 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I wanted a Ferrari for more than 50 years. Finally got one. It's exceeded everything I expected. I still love all my Corvettes I've had but the Ferrari occupies a special place....

If you really want the Lamborghini - do it. We only pass this way one time.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:00 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I was chatted with a guy at a car meet that had a Audi R8. He sold his Lambo 550 for it. I asked him why, he told me that it is not a piratical, comfortable, affordable car at all. Affordable in maintenance. He said one oil change cost $2000.

That alone would make me NOT want one at all.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 PM
jimxms
Pro

I think maintenance is marginally cheaper here in the UK, but it is still expensive. I was reading that you guys in the US pay around $10k + for a new clutch for a Gallardo, whereas here in the UK its about £3k.

Oil changes on the Gallardo look like a PITA. 8 sump plugs or some crazy sh*t like that!!!

I changed the oil in my Z51 in 45 minutes last week. I would sure miss those days if I got a Lambo.

Hmm...
Old 05-15-2018, 01:59 PM
jimxms
Pro

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I'm going to test drive one this week, but I'm still interested to hear from anyone who has driven an LP. Was it more exciting than a C7? Did it attract more lovers/haters than the C7?
Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms
Did it attract more lovers/haters than the C7?
Try this prank when you get the car

Old 05-22-2018, 01:49 PM
jimxms
Pro

Ok so the Corvette knew I was thinking about trading it in and decided to collapse a lifter

No car dealer in their right mind would let me trade in a car with a knocking engine, so instead of getting a Lambo I've decided to build a badass C7 instead.

Forged pistons, uprated valve train...etc. Gonna shoot for about 850whp
Old 05-22-2018, 04:42 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Shame about the LP550-2 not being worth it. There is an amazing one for sale near me with carbon front and rear bumpers, carbon fixed spoiler and a £7k exhaust system. The LP560-4's are generally quite a bit cheaper tho.

Last year I drove my C7 only 1000miles, because we had a pretty harsh winter with lots of salt on the roads and my C7 also runs semi-slicks so no good when its raining heavy either. The Lambo would probably only get about the same amount of use.

If it was anything but a Lambo, it would be a total no-brainer for me. I'd never swap my C7 for a Ferrari 360/430. But ugh, having a lambo is a life long dream. I just wonder if the C7 has made my dream redundant.
A Ferrari was my childhood dream, I loved the Enzo and the F430 shares styling cues. I am partial to my next car being a red or yellow F430. I wanted a Lambo to send to UGR but I could build a big power car out of a GTR which is half or under half the cost. I want too many cars haha.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:45 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Innovate
A Ferrari was my childhood dream, I loved the Enzo and the F430 shares styling cues. I am partial to my next car being a red or yellow F430. I wanted a Lambo to send to UGR but I could build a big power car out of a GTR which is half or under half the cost. I want too many cars haha.
Have you driven a F430? I drove a 360, and it was an absolute turd of a car. I hope the 430 is better, or you'll be wanting to trade back to the vette asap
Old 05-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Ok so the Corvette knew I was thinking about trading it in and decided to collapse a lifter

No car dealer in their right mind would let me trade in a car with a knocking engine, so instead of getting a Lambo I've decided to build a badass C7 instead.

Forged pistons, uprated valve train...etc. Gonna shoot for about 850whp
I'm not sure whether to feel bad for you or say congrats!! Im sure it will be a Lambo eater when you're done!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:49 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I'm not sure whether to feel bad for you or say congrats!! Im sure it will be a Lambo eater when you're done!
Yeah I'm having mixed emotions too right now. On the up side, my bank is only £10k lighter instead of £40k lighter which it would have been if I'd upgraded to the Lambo.

I guess itching my childhood fantasy will have to wait a few more years...
Old 05-22-2018, 05:31 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I have driven a 430, it was a good time but for 110k id rather have a z06 and 40k in my bank. The exhaust note on an exotic is simply amazing. Even my 2005 viper sounded SO awesome. I also have raced an aventador in vegas, I liked it but for about half the price I would much rather have a huracan.

If youre going to get a lambo, get a huracan. They are the best lambo for the most reasonable price, I see them used for around 200k. When you see an aventador next to a huracan you will def pick the huracan even price aside.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone owned a Lambo LP550/560 and a C7?

Old 05-22-2018, 05:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Yup, me want Huracan!

The Huracan, like the Z, is supposedly a great car, easy to live with. But being AWD is even more accessible than the Z. I'd love to have one, but don't want to be seen driving around in one, if that makes any sense. I'm 50 and can't picture myself getting out of it at Safeway. Of course I'd want it for track primarily anyway, and maybe I could pull the look off for the street!

Last edited by davepl; 05-22-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:11 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Fwiw..there is a young youtuber named tavarish that bought the gallardo convertible for 57 grand and he is doing a you tube series on what his ownership experience is like..

Seems like a pain in the butt to me.....but you might want to watch his frequent videos on YouTube...

The parts from Lamborghini seem ridiculously expensive...and this young man does his YouTube series on how to do it on the cheap....

Cool looking car but overall the Lamborghini seems like it would be a pain....

I think this youtuber has a million subscribers and it seems like he is a nice fella just trying to resolve the cars issues....worth a look for insight and entertainment.

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-23-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM
FloJo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had the chance the chance to drive the Gallardo , Huracan as well as the 458 Ferrari on vacations for multiple days never owning one so cant speak on that , have never owned one but the way those cars shift none of the C7's ive driven< Z51 Stingray, Grand Sport and Z06 > even give me the same feeling or rush when driving .

Quick Reply: Has anyone owned a Lambo LP550/560 and a C7?