C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Oil catch can valve pics after 20k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Oil catch can valve pics after 20k miles

We installed a crank case relief valve today and had to lift up the SC to access it. I was able to take a few photos of the back side of 2 valves and the back side of the intercool brick with my new I phone camera. I was happy to see the brick is very clean of carbon and deposits and the valves look very good too. Others may have different opinions and conclusions for our direct injected engines.

The Colorado \ Elite 3 hose can has been on my car for at least 20k miles. We drain the oil from the can about every 3 to 5K miles and get about 4 to 6 ounces each time. My car has also been tracked a lot over the last 3 years. We've removed the SC cover many times over the years and have found only minimal oil film.

Glad i have this on my car as i expect to see over 100k on it some day.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Have to be honest...

Seems like I could be looking at those exact photos in a thread complaining about carbon deposits. They don't look that great to me. I think this goes to show that oil through the valve guides is also a major factor in DI coking.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Have to be honest...

Seems like I could be looking at those exact photos in a thread complaining about carbon deposits. They don't look that great to me. I think this goes to show that oil through the valve guides is also a major factor in DI coking.
I see some deposits but without a comparison its hard to make a conclusion. I have seen photos of the brick that look much worse than mine.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:13 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

how was it hooked up before without the part you installed, and is it routed differently now?
Old 05-18-2018, 06:37 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Originally Posted by David@MMS
how was it hooked up before without the part you installed, and is it routed differently now?
Dave i was one of the originals to install this can. They had us block off the SC port with a plug. This is probably fine for street cars but at WOT on the track there was to much crank case pressure. The bypass valve is installed and now "T'd" into the inlet center line into my can. Going to the track in 3 days i hope to see less oil consumption. I spoke to you about this last fall i understand you have a similar valve.

Whats your opinion of my 25k valves?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:34 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Dave i was one of the originals to install this can. They had us block off the SC port with a plug. This is probably fine for street cars but at WOT on the track there was to much crank case pressure. The bypass valve is installed and now "T'd" into the inlet center line into my can. Going to the track in 3 days i hope to see less oil consumption. I spoke to you about this last fall i understand you have a similar valve.

Whats your opinion of my 25k valves?

i think the more oil you can keep off the valves, the better!

the part to block the tube i invented, and then my idea was copied, so yes similar lol.

i would estimate this can improve crank pressure control, but not significantly IMO.

hopefully you can better enjoy the car now. I am around if not!
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 05-23-2018, 03:33 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I did the PCV plug method and it was a joke. The kit from MMS is the way to go.
The can from MMS is better as well. I have 1 in and waiting for the new blower to come to add the other!
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:05 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I'm leaving mine totally stock and am going to drive it 250,000 miles and see what happens. If it builds up any residue, I don't mind having that cleaned every 10 trips around the Earth's circumference.

I can't see any harm, but isn't it a solution to a problem that no one has EVER had on a Corvette? Keeping oil out of the intake path seems intuitively like a "good idea", but the alternative hasn't proven problematic for anyone yet has it?

You'd figure there are a bajillion direct injection Silverados running around, they'd have the problem long before anyone!

Last edited by davepl; 05-23-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I'm leaving mine totally stock and am going to drive it 250,000 miles and see what happens. If it builds up any residue, I don't mind having that cleaned every 10 trips around the Earth's circumference.

I can't see any harm, but isn't it a solution to a problem that no one has EVER had on a Corvette? Keeping oil out of the intake path seems intuitively like a "good idea", but the alternative hasn't proven problematic for anyone yet has it?

You'd figure there are a bajillion direct injection Silverados running around, they'd have the problem long before anyone!

thats the thing. 'problem' is relative. a performance enthusiast would prefer not lose 1hp to deposit build up where your 1 bajillionth silverado owner won't care until it causes a trip to the dealer, and still probably wont care as long as it is under warranty.

these pics are from a di gen v truck with similar miles

Old 05-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

https://drivetribe.com/p/burning-oil...TnGRQMesA64qNg

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...er-on-oil-burn

https://drivetribe.com/p/f1-concern-...Tayr9251BDyNiA

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 05-23-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Drew27
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
thats the thing. 'problem' is relative. a performance enthusiast would prefer not lose 1hp to deposit build up where your 1 bajillionth silverado owner won't care until it causes a trip to the dealer, and still probably wont care as long as it is under warranty.

these pics are from a di gen v truck with similar miles

my valves where like this at 5000 miles... 1 was soo bad it started to make a valve to stick open and car would smoke. I had a f1x procharger with a Amp catch can....
Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Great info
That’s actually pretty “slick” way to coerce more power
Old 05-23-2018, 10:40 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

here's some camaro 6 valves at 30k miles

Get notified of new replies