C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:02 PM
malakhiyah
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering

I have a 1998 C5 and the steering acts like a go cart, the least bit of movement and the car darts one way or the other. I just want to cruise and this makes it very annoying to drive. Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2018, 03:06 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

The fist place to start is an inspection of all front end suspension components. Excessive play from worn suspension components can cause erratic steering. Wheel alignment is another place to look.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:14 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Alignment for sure.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:27 PM
malakhiyah
7th Gear

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Alignment for sure.
I thought the same so I put on new tires replaced all worn parts and Just had it aligned, still does it.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:19 PM
malakhiyah
7th Gear

I'm 73 and have owned several corvettes over the years but I've never had this problem. I thought that maybe I might have to lower pressure in the power steering pump. Point is I just don't know and all I want is a cruiser nothing fancy. Don't want to keep throwing money at it.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

how many miles are on the car?

did you have them check the rack and pinion unit and the power steering pump. maybe valving in the rack and pinion is sticking (I need to read up on where the valving is on c5s) i think this could be it....this would create dartiness

lets read this together

http://www.tuningconcepts.com/Cars/C...20steering.pdf

I would also look to rear end issues and perhaps you are encountering rear steer.

so you want to make sure the rear has no free play in any of the parts.

Last edited by bobs77vet; 05-17-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
malakhiyah (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 PM
malakhiyah
7th Gear

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
how many miles are on the car?

did you have them check the rack and pinion unit and the power steering pump. maybe valving in the rack and pinion is sticking (I need to read up on where the valving is on c5s) i think this could be it....this would create dartiness

lets read this together

http://www.tuningconcepts.com/Cars/C...20steering.pdf

I would also look to rear end issues and perhaps you are encountering rear steer.

so you want to make sure the rear has no free play in any of the parts.
Rear was rebuilt as well so all is tight there. I really like the link, it gives me a place to start. Thank you very much.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:12 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by malakhiyah
Rear was rebuilt as well so all is tight there. I really like the link, it gives me a place to start. Thank you very much.
that was a pretty impressive write up ...i read it and said BINGO.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 PM
envisi0n91
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

First time I've seen someone complaining about gokart-like handling

Last edited by envisi0n91; 05-17-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Have you pulled stored codes through the DIC? If you don't know how to do that there's a good walk-through on YouTube.

The steering has a tendency to default to "high" (i.e., constant power being applied to the assist) when the system starts to read values outside of it's range. The very basic way to describe it is your C5 utilizes magna-steering which adjusts the power assist depending on the car's speed, and the SWPS (steering wheel position sensor) is a component of this. So if you're traveling at parking lot speeds you should have a lot of power assist (easy to steer and whip around). At highway speed there should be very little power assist as you're at speed and do not need "jerky" steering.

When the system reads constant values outside of it's range it will throw a stored DTC accessible through the DIC and potentially default to aforementioned value regardless of the vehicle's speed. There is a tendency for ABS and traction control to subsequently have visible issues but that's not to say the issue you are experiencing would create that situation.
malakhiyah (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 10:36 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

i am an old school guy and the c5 is my first foray into the modern age...i drive new cars but let the garages fix them on the rare occasion they need it. I am absolutely amazed at the technology it has. i bought the c5 becsuse of the DIC and said to myself "time to get out of the stone ages" and make friends with the technology because i have become such a big fan of Fuel Injection and roller cams. i am absolutely enjoying learning how the mechanical systems are interrelated to the engine management systems
Old 05-18-2018, 09:23 PM
malakhiyah
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
Have you pulled stored codes through the DIC? If you don't know how to do that there's a good walk-through on YouTube.

The steering has a tendency to default to "high" (i.e., constant power being applied to the assist) when the system starts to read values outside of it's range. The very basic way to describe it is your C5 utilizes magna-steering which adjusts the power assist depending on the car's speed, and the SWPS (steering wheel position sensor) is a component of this. So if you're traveling at parking lot speeds you should have a lot of power assist (easy to steer and whip around). At highway speed there should be very little power assist as you're at speed and do not need "jerky" steering.

When the system reads constant values outside of it's range it will throw a stored DTC accessible through the DIC and potentially default to aforementioned value regardless of the vehicle's speed. There is a tendency for ABS and traction control to subsequently have visible issues but that's not to say the issue you are experiencing would create that situation.
I did pull the codes but that did not show up. I'm going to rebuild the rack and pinion and the pump for starters because I feel that is where the problem is.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:01 AM
malakhiyah
7th Gear

Default Magnasteer

I did pull the codes but that did not show up. I'm going to rebuild the rack and pinion and the pump for starters because I feel that is where the problem is.

Here is a Tech link from GM in 2000 for their service professionals.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Magnasteer.pdf (383.1 KB, 302 views)
Old 05-26-2018, 01:18 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I thought the same so I put on new tires replaced all worn parts and Just had it aligned, still does it.
If I understand your post correctly, it did it before and and after you put new tires on? Did you use the same brand tire?
I had this exact same steering problem on my 98 and it turned out to be the new tires I put on (along with an aggressive alignment). Once I switched tire brands and had it realigned the problem went away.
P.S. The tires were BFG KDW2s
malakhiyah (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 05:48 PM
malakhiyah
7th Gear

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
If I understand your post correctly, it did it before and and after you put new tires on? Did you use the same brand tire?
I had this exact same steering problem on my 98 and it turned out to be the new tires I put on (along with an aggressive alignment). Once I switched tire brands and had it realigned the problem went away.
P.S. The tires were BFG KDW2s
Different tires, it's not a tire problem it's defiantly a steering problem. I was replacing the steering rack today and one of the brackets that holds it on the frame fell off. Now I may just replace the engine cradle as well. The alignment tech said that the alignment was way out. Might have been in an accident I just don't know.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering

Quick Reply: Steering