C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon Caution

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:53 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Tail of the Dragon Caution

I wanted to follow up to yesterday’s post. Many of you have posted regarding some of the dangers of the Dragon.

Yesterday I was enjoying the curves at fun but reasonable speeds. A guy in a Ford Taurus was determined to stay close on my rear. At one point my juvenile side just about decided to really push it around a sharp turn coming (there are signs that give you an idea of how tight the curve is on some curves) to see if the guy could hang.

My more cautious side stayed in control.

Immediately around the curve a large duelly (sp) truck was stalled and taking up most of the road in front of me.

Had I been pushing it there would have been a real mess.

So, just remember that you never know what may be around that corner.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

We drive the dragon on the weekdays. Seems quieter....... with that said playing in Autocross is a far safer way to push your car.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bonnell
I wanted to follow up to yesterday’s post. Many of you have posted regarding some of the dangers of the Dragon.

Yesterday I was enjoying the curves at fun but reasonable speeds. A guy in a Ford Taurus was determined to stay close on my rear. At one point my juvenile side just about decided to really push it around a sharp turn coming (there are signs that give you an idea of how tight the curve is on some curves) to see if the guy could hang.

Immediately around the curve a large duelly (sp) truck was stalled and taking up most of the road in front of me.

So true. We are due for our annual drive there soon. We utilize the numerous pullouts that are now provided as there is always someone on your rear, especially the motorcycles. Those pullouts have been really nice, as in years past you were really stuck with nowhere to go. Motorcycles especially were always passing and you cringed when they would do that, wondering if they would make it. We sure have seen our share of accidents on the Dragon over the 16 years we have lived here.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Use caution during blind corners. Crazy folks out there that love to cross over the median.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Don't cross the YELLOW LINE !! Besides, it's more challenging to run in your own lane, and safer, too.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:37 PM
FloridaC6
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve been up there a few times on my bike and there were lots of Tennessee State Patrol just waiting to catch speeders. I’m glad I can say I’ve been on the dragon but there are better roads in that area to cruise on.

Last edited by FloridaC6; 05-20-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:38 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FloridaC6
I’ve been up there a few times on my bike and there were lots of Tennessee State Patrol just waiting to catch speeders. I’m glad I can say I’ve been on the dragon but there are better roads in that area to cruise on.
I agree about better roads to cruise. I live here in East Tennessee and there are many great roads to drive. Most have great curves and also great views.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Should have let the bonehead in the Taurus go around you, he could have "checked out" the truck before you got there!

Last edited by RobLo; 05-21-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Agree with OP.....the Dragon is not something I need to do again!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by bonnell

Many of the rocks and trees on the side of the road have various colors of paint on them from former road warriors. Don't add to the painted trees and rocks. Drive smart.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Not on the Dragon road but we were south a bit where the road follows the river, I thought maybe I should do a little spirited driving but then came to my senses, sure enough around one of the corners right in the middle of the road was a group of "donkeys", would've been a mess for sure Had to blow my horn to get them to move too, they're tame from folks feeding them
NSF
Old 05-21-2018, 12:37 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

pro-tip: don't race (even against yourself) on public roads, and never cross double yellows on public roads. also, never race on public roads.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:59 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mellojoe
pro-tip: don't race (even against yourself) on public roads, and never cross double yellows on public roads. also, never race on public roads.
The problem with a road like the Dragon is that you can't avoid the other idiots. You may never cross the double yellow, but half of the other people out there racing the blind curves sure do. So you are in a curve in your lane and some jackass from oncoming traffic trying to drag knee sweeps the curve into your lane.
The following 2 users liked this post by doomi:
mellojoe (05-21-2018), mracer (05-25-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:29 PM
Seldoon
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a curvy road close to where I live in Dale City VA. The name of the road is Joplin road. I don't know how many people I have read about getting killed on that road. A preacher riding a motorcycle got killed, presumably by driving too fast around a turn. Another had a deer run out and they swerved to avoid the deer and crashed. A guy was driving down the road and spotted a two seater sports car wrapped around a tree. The driver was dead and the passenger was seriously injured. Some fun on the curvy road.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 AM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

real problem with semis having GPS take them down this road to save miles. They need to outlaw 18 wheelers on the stretch
Old 05-22-2018, 06:23 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by doomi
The problem with a road like the Dragon is that you can't avoid the other idiots. You may never cross the double yellow, but half of the other people out there racing the blind curves sure do. So you are in a curve in your lane and some jackass from oncoming traffic trying to drag knee sweeps the curve into your lane.
I agree. On this road you can’t avoid them.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I found making the Dragon run safer was to go out about 7am since there isn't a lot of traffic and yea don't cross over the yellow lines. Also always look ahead to the curves for skid marks. As that tells you were people have made driving errors in the past. Now while Motorcycling can be the main danger, trucks can be even worse esp big rigs.

Get notified of new replies

To Tail of the Dragon Caution

Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

I have ridden the Dragon countless times on my Harley. My motorcycle club makes annual trips to the Blue Ridge Mountains. However, my motorcycle days are over and my wife and I are planning a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains with our 60th Anniversary 427. The Dragon is definitely a must and with that being said, there are so many beautiful driving roads up that way, each one of them an adventure. We do make frequent stops to enjoy the scenery and are always amazed at what some drivers will do. Frankly, I am surprised there are not more wrecks then there are. Good advice from the OP (and others), never cross the solid yellow line...and that is not always fool proof as the other guy coming the other way may wonder into you. Head up and be aware.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:45 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

1. Never go faster than you can see.

2. The Dragon is a bike road.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 783 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified