Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joints instead of universals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Default CV Joints instead of universals?

Looking at the rear suspension of the 'vette I sometimes wonder whether it would have been possible to have mounted the rear swing arms with taper roller bearings the same way motorcycle swing arms are mounted? Then use CV joints instead of universals in the driveshafts to transmit the power. This would eliminate the camber change that is inbuilt into the standard setup?
Would this work? Not saying I would attempt such an adaption seeing at least it would be a body off project to enable the mountings be fitted to the chassis. I see the various multi link suspension systems that are on offer and they look cool but don't they add more weight?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Looking at the rear suspension of the 'vette I sometimes wonder whether it would have been possible to have mounted the rear swing arms with taper roller bearings the same way motorcycle swing arms are mounted? Then use CV joints instead of universals in the driveshafts to transmit the power. This would eliminate the camber change that is inbuilt into the standard setup?
Would this work? Not saying I would attempt such an adaption seeing at least it would be a body off project to enable the mountings be fitted to the chassis. I see the various multi link suspension systems that are on offer and they look cool but don't they add more weight?
I see several problems there. First, you don't want the camber change eliminated (unless you're changing this to a quarter mile straightliner car). Corvettes are sportscars and you need the camber change to offset body lean during cornering, for traction. (A true swing arm setup would get rid of the toe change issue, though but it's still pointless as the car would still corner like **** if the camber curve was eliminated.) Also, because a Corvette doesn't lean into a corner like a bike does, there's going to be a helluva large twisting torque on the trailing arm bearings. They would need to be pretty beefy bearings.
That's the first few problem areas I see.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

the rear half shafts are part of the rear link system,they hold the trailing arms parallel
The following users liked this post:
loup68 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 11:28 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
the rear half shafts are part of the rear link system,they hold the trailing arms parallel
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
The system the OP is brainstorming about doesn't need the halfshafts for keeping the trailing arms parallel. The bearing system at the arm pivot keeps the trailing arms from changing the toe or camber settings. And with that, CV joints would be required, as the OP discussed using.

It's an interesting discussion, but the downside is that the car would only be tolerable in a straight line. In cornering the outside tire would go into positive camber angle, promoting oversteer.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:01 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

So how do cars with rear cv's make do with it?
Old 05-22-2018, 05:52 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by The13Bats
So how do cars with rear cv's make do with it?
Completely different suspension designs that don't rely on the half shaft for locating the wheel. Can easily install an upper link (to do the locating work currently done by the halfshaft) and then use cvs, but doesn't solve the inherent toe geometry issues. It does allow you to tune them though, by relocating the inner (or outer) pivots of the strut rod and the additional upper link that was added - this is a project on my to-do list.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:09 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Completely different suspension designs that don't rely on the half shaft for locating the wheel. Can easily install an upper link (to do the locating work currently done by the halfshaft) and then use cvs, but doesn't solve the inherent toe geometry issues. It does allow you to tune them though, by relocating the inner (or outer) pivots of the strut rod and the additional upper link that was added - this is a project on my to-do list.
Ty,
I posted that more being ironic most of my other cars have had cv rear irs....
Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

There was a thread a while back, either here or in C3 Tech about this, I believe the project was actually finished successfully although some hoops were jumped through. Search here & C3 Tech & it will show up.

Update

Well there used to be, I saw hints where it had been boneyarded. Some people get pissy about different ideas.

See if TheSkunkWorks is still a member. IIRC he and another guy were in the middle of this & the other guy actually did it.

Last edited by ratflinger; 05-23-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:05 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by ratflinger
There was a thread a while back, either here or in C3 Tech about this, I believe the project was actually finished successfully although some hoops were jumped through. Search here & C3 Tech & it will show up.

Update

Well there used to be, I saw hints where it had been boneyarded. Some people get pissy about different ideas.

See if TheSkunkWorks is still a member. IIRC he and another guy were in the middle of this & the other guy actually did it.
Ive Seen lots of (boring ) tantrum lectures here spurred on from someone not liking a persons different idea, another way to do something, out of box thinking for ones self...

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-23-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To CV Joints instead of universals?

Quick Reply: CV Joints instead of universals?