Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Larger cam vs smaller cam what do you lose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 09:11 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Larger cam vs smaller cam what do you lose?

First of all I’m not young and wanting to race the world etc, hell I don’t even race anymore. I’m tryin to choose a camshaft I want. Either the AHP 116, 112 or the BTR Stage 3. My car is daily driven. Yes sir I wrench on it on the weekends and get it ready on Monday . Honestly, I borrow my friends corolla if need be and I pay him fee for it if my intalls take time. Anyhoot, if the cam is too large for instance what features of the car would I lose? Cruising in 6th gear?

I want the most cam I can get but not lose to much of the drivability if that is possible. I want the car reliable and able to drive long distance also. My heads are done. Car would already have the intake and TB ported and some exhaust mods. What would I lose? Your input appreciated.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:19 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Bought my car with a big cam and now it has a Katech 116. I have race cars for that big cam BS, didn't need that on the street. Stop and go freeway traffic was near having me sell the car. Much happier now!

Steve
Old 05-20-2018, 09:46 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Bought my car with a big cam and now it has a Katech 116. I have race cars for that big cam BS, didn't need that on the street. Stop and go freeway traffic was near having me sell the car. Much happier now!

Steve
I keep hearing responses like this for those who drive their Z more than others. Thanks for the input. I can always go small and then want to go bigger down the road.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:27 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Personally, after going with the 116 cam, I'd go slightly bigger. I would spec something between the 116 and BTR 2 cam.

If you're married to the 116 cam specs, ask Kohle to spec it on a 114 LSA.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:22 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

I would pick the BTR 2 - my custom grind very close to it and personally would not want more - mine drives great
Old 05-21-2018, 06:01 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

You don’t need a big cam to make power. Small cams and great heads will beat up on cars all day long with good heads and a big cam.

invest in some really nice heads and the cam choice can be smaller, drive better, and have a way faster car
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 AM
slammin86
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

After dialing in my tune the AHP116 does not impact driveability at all!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Consider VR Kaotic cam... Its what I run and perfect for me.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:48 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
I would pick the BTR 2 - my custom grind very close to it and personally would not want more - mine drives great
Exactly the same experience for me. Talk to a cam expert like Pat Guerra. For $25 you fill out a form and he custom specs a cam to suit your needs. He uses Cam Motion cams which have lobes that are easier on the LS7 valvetrain too - that's an important factor as well - the lobes and "engine friendliness" of the cam.

I ended up with a cam similar to BTR 2 with low lift (.634/.634) that has excellent driving manners. Very slight bucking at lower RPMs and speeds (crawling around lots - just need to modulate clutch slip) but otherwise drives excellent in all ways.

Anything bigger than that, without a good tune, will not drive as smoothly and may be more annoying than you're looking for.

Good luck.

EDIT: With supporting mods, I made almost 560rwhp with my little cam.

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 05-21-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Very slight bucking at lower RPMs and speeds (crawling around lots - just need to modulate clutch slip) but otherwise drives excellent in all ways.

And that's the rub I wasn't willing to sacrifice. Now, 6th gear at 1,200 RPM is fine and parking lots, well BRING THEM ON! Mine drives like a real car now, not a weekend toy. If I was 18 again would be really cool.......

Steve
Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

I had the BTR Stage 3 and I thought it drove great. I daily drove the car for a year with that cam. Beat plenty of cars on the street but lost up top to larger cam cars. Ended up going with something bigger. If I could do it again, I would have stuck with the BTR Stage 4 that I originally bought for the car. I know a few people that went from the 3 to the 4 and they say nothing changed, drivability wise but got more top end power.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Sean_C
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

love my BTR stage 2....has great sound, good power and drives very well still.... parking lots require a little clutch play, bucks a tiny bit around 1300 RPM if I'm lugging it around which I try not to for personal preference....basic H/C headers on 91 octane and it put down 545/495....if ur not willing to sacrifice any of the stuff mentioned above (which isn't bad at all) then a cam swap prolly isn't for u.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:15 PM
brooklands
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slammin86
After dialing in my tune the AHP116 does not impact driveability at all!
Did you get the tune from AHP?
Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Personally, after going with the 116 cam, I'd go slightly bigger. I would spec something between the 116 and BTR 2 cam.

If you're married to the 116 cam specs, ask Kohle to spec it on a 114 LSA.
Yeah that’s what I also had in mind. Just a hair larger than the 116
Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Was leaning towards that or the 3.
Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Consider VR Kaotic cam... Its what I run and perfect for me.
Il look into it but I think you have a more aggressive setup. Your car made some serious powa
Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Exactly the same experience for me. Talk to a cam expert like Pat Guerra. For $25 you fill out a form and he custom specs a cam to suit your needs. He uses Cam Motion cams which have lobes that are easier on the LS7 valvetrain too - that's an important factor as well - the lobes and "engine friendliness" of the cam.

I ended up with a cam similar to BTR 2 with low lift (.634/.634) that has excellent driving manners. Very slight bucking at lower RPMs and speeds (crawling around lots - just need to modulate clutch slip) but otherwise drives excellent in all ways.

Anything bigger than that, without a good tune, will not drive as smoothly and may be more annoying than you're looking for.

Good luck.

EDIT: With supporting mods, I made almost 560rwhp with my little cam.
Think I will do that and consult them cam experts.
Originally Posted by Sean_C
love my BTR stage 2....has great sound, good power and drives very well still.... parking lots require a little clutch play, bucks a tiny bit around 1300 RPM if I'm lugging it around which I try not to for personal preference....basic H/C headers on 91 octane and it put down 545/495....if ur not willing to sacrifice any of the stuff mentioned above (which isn't bad at all) then a cam swap prolly isn't for u.
Yeah see I could handle that what you said. How’s 6th cruising at 60mph? Some really solid numbers for 91! I might shoot you a pm if ya don’t mind about your mods. I’d be content at 550 and 500. I have 93 here in TX. Plan to port the stock intake and TB, open up the exhaust. My heads are street ported with a .020 mill so I’m ok there. That BTR Stage 2 starting to sound pretty good
Old 05-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Sean_C
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

6th at 60 is just fine cruising....I have catless 2" ARH headers, airaid intake and WCCH heads PP and milled 30 for future flex fuel.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

OP, what supporting mods specifically are you going with or already have? What specifically did you have done to the heads and who did the work?

These details will help. I would recommend the BTR 2 or 3 based on your answers to the above.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:31 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
OP, what supporting mods specifically are you going with or already have? What specifically did you have done to the heads and who did the work?

These details will help. I would recommend the BTR 2 or 3 based on your answers to the above.
I already have the heads milled .020 heads, Moldstar 90 guides, street ported heads, btr duals. Heads are from AHP. I’m shopping for a oem Intake, TB and cats. The cats will be gutted and the other parts ported by either AHP or Tony M. I’m not lookin to takeover the streets nor do I want the Z super loud. I can tolerate a little feathering of the clutch here and there. Let’s say I’m willing to give up 8-10% max on drivability if any. Don’t want to lose my comfort of 6th gear or ability to grandpa drive if I want decent mileage, Don’t stone me lol! I think the btr 2 is looking more like it. The btr 3 would be awesome but I think more suited for msd intake and headers. I believe the btr 2 is a little more aggressive than AHP 116 but less wild than their 112. What ya think

Get notified of new replies

To Larger cam vs smaller cam what do you lose?

Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JesC6Z

I already have the heads milled .020 heads, Moldstar 90 guides, street ported heads, btr duals. Heads are from AHP. I’m shopping for a oem Intake, TB and cats. The cats will be gutted and the other parts ported by either AHP or Tony M. I’m not lookin to takeover the streets nor do I want the Z super loud. I can tolerate a little feathering of the clutch here and there. Let’s say I’m willing to give up 8-10% max on drivability if any. Don’t want to lose my comfort of 6th gear or ability to grandpa drive if I want decent mileage, Don’t stone me lol! I think the btr 2 is looking more like it. The btr 3 would be awesome but I think more suited for msd intake and headers. I believe the btr 2 is a little more aggressive than AHP 116 but less wild than their 112. What ya think
Shameless plug but if you want something in between the 116 and BTR2 I have a brand new custom ground tony mamo cam that would fit your application. If I could do it over again, I would install this cam over the 116 cam. The 116 cam is nice, but it's for people that want BONE STOCK drivability.

228/244 .648/.652 115+3 LSA
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 AM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

In general the smaller cams will make good torque and have great drivability at the expense of top end HP. The Larger cams will trade off some low end power for top end and that will have an effect on sub 2500 rpm drivability. With good tuning the larger cams can be tamed to be drivable in traffic in a 427 but for guy that daily drive a small to medium size cam may be the ticket.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Custom specing is a great way to go, to get exactly what you want.

I saw someone say cam motion lobes are softer, and that is not true. What lobes? Both comp, cam motion, etc etc etc all have tons of lobes. Comp has some very very gentle lobes, and they have new stuff that has come out in the last 6 months that is totally different than previous. I ran comp LXL lobes which are nice soft lobes, but even those are out of date compared to their new stuff. So making a blanket statement about lobes is not usefull.

Part of working with a cam expert, is to scope something exactly for your setup, including selecting lobes. It is not just selecting duration, lift, and LSA. That is just part of it.

Quick Reply: Larger cam vs smaller cam what do you lose?