C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

right side headlight door randomly won't open when turned on.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Default right side headlight door randomly won't open when turned on.

At times the right door does not open when the lights are turned on. The light does come on with door closed.
If I turn the **** manually and open it, it will close electrically when i shut the lights off.
Also, if I turn the **** a few turns just to move it a little, the door opens electrically the rest of the way. It feels a bit tight the first few turns.
There are no noises or grinding or anything of that sort. It just does not open.

Weak motor ????

Last edited by corvettezman; 05-21-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Symptom of the driven (plastic) gear wearing. Mine does the same thing. It used to do it on the driver's side until I replaced the driven gear with a brass replacement. Got the kit for the passenger side, just haven't got around to doing it yet.
The following users liked this post:
corvettezman (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:25 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Could be worn gear as the previous poster suggests.

Could also be worn or missing bump stops for the close function.

The headlight control module contains current sensing logic that allow it to shut off power to the headlight motor when the plastic bump stops are hit by the brackets on the motor. If the brackets are worn or missing the rise in current may occur late enough that the gears bind a bit on the close. Then when the doors should open the binding can cause enough of a current rise trying to open them that the HCM shuts off power before the doors open.
Thank you. I should have checked for that. I have had that happen to me before , but it would close than raise back up another inch every time I closed the doors. It was a missing stop.
I will look for that.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:29 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So the bump stops are there and in good shape.
The driver side motor spins freely and it opens when the switch is turned on. The passenger side is closing tight where it's a bit hard to turn the wheel. But once I turn the wheel just a bit, it opens fine.
I do not think it's the motor or the stops. This has something to do with the module or whatever that tells the electricity to shut off. it's taking too long to do so and binding the motor.
Where would that module be and is it available ?

Get notified of new replies

To right side headlight door randomly won't open when turned on.

Quick Reply: right side headlight door randomly won't open when turned on.