Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

TPMS CUB Tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default TPMS CUB Tool

Hi Guys

A couple of years ago BEZ06 generously organised and bought in some basic CUB PRO-101 TPMS tools from Tire rack and supplied them to us.

Tool is a basic one for testing TPMS/relearn and works fine on the 08 vette.

However there are several aftermarket sensors by reputable manufacturers replacing the 25758220 sensors and claimed to work identical to the OEM including TPMS tool use. Does anyone know for sure if these (correct 315meg frequency) replacement sensors will trigger with this CUB tool same as the OEM sensors?

With OEM sensors now 10 years old they are starting to fail and the aftermarket items are around half price of OEM and being from the other side of the world I don't want to buy if they won't trigger with the CUB tool. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=25758220 https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=25758220
Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

So this CUB pro will work for earlier C6s?
Are you just looking for a cheaper tpms? The ones in the amazon link don't look to be much cheaper. I've got wheels on the way and the vendor added new sensors for about $130.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:01 AM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Originally Posted by slow_zo6
So this CUB pro will work for earlier C6s?
Are you just looking for a cheaper tpms? The ones in the amazon link don't look to be much cheaper. I've got wheels on the way and the vendor added new sensors for about $130.
I am basically seeking information re testing and triggering aftermarket sensors from guys with experience on the basic CUB tool. ie will it trigger and read aftermarket sensors claimed to be identical to OEM 25758220?

Cub works on genuine OEM sensor and wondered if anyone had used it for reading/triggering aftermarket sensors. The GM 25758220 sensors are almost double the cost of aftermarket equivalents.

Cheapest set of genuine GM 25758220 sensors I have found is $200 plus freight plus exchange currency conversion. That works out at almost $400 AUD after fitting. Lot of dosh for sensors.

Do you know what brand sensor they are supplying for $130 USD as that is a good price.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:07 AM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ZIE06Bernie
I am basically seeking information re testing and triggering aftermarket sensors from guys with experience on the basic CUB tool. ie will it trigger and read aftermarket sensors claimed to be identical to OEM 25758220?

Cub works on genuine OEM sensor and wondered if anyone had used it for reading/triggering aftermarket sensors. The GM 25758220 sensors are almost double the cost of aftermarket equivalents.

Cheapest set of genuine GM 25758220 sensors I have found is $200 plus freight plus exchange currency conversion. That works out at almost $400 AUD after fitting. Lot of dosh for sensors. I take it you're not in the states?

Do you know what brand sensor they are supplying for $130 USD as that is a good price.
GM oem sensors. Another vendor had them for $159.

Last edited by slow_zo6; 05-23-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:15 AM
wfojon
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought these from Amazon and had no problems matching them to my 2007 Vette.
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 AM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Originally Posted by wfojon
I bought these from Amazon and had no problems matching them to my 2007 Vette.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E4I089G...527052357&sr=1
Thanks WFOJON good info -they are number one on my list but just one vendor sends these to Australia that I can find.

What TPMS tool did you use to programme them to your vette. This place is very different to the USA because I went to 3 major tire shops and not one even had a TPMS tool or knew how to use one - they all said go to the dealer. So I am on my own.

Since I have the CUB tool I was hoping to be able to use it - the VDO sensors are written up as similar to OEM but whether this sensor to CUB connectivity is valid I have no way of knowing till I get hold of a sensor.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I have the CUB tool and have successfully used it on aftermarket sensors. The sensors did not last, and ended up costing me more because of the labor cost to replace them. No more aftermarket sensors for me.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:07 AM
darr3239
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy the oem GM sensors via ebay and my last was less than $45.

I've been told to always buy oem since many times the aftermarket ones don't last.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:34 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

This place is very different to the USA because I went to 3 major tire shops and not one even had a TPMS tool or knew how to use one - they all said go to the dealer. So I am on my own.
So does Australia require cars to have TPMS like the US does? If so, then it is hard to believe major tire shops wouldn't have or know how to use a TPMS tool.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:35 AM
wfojon
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks WFOJON good info -they are number one on my list but just one vendor sends these to Australia that I can find.

What TPMS tool did you use to programme them to your vette. This place is very different to the USA because I went to 3 major tire shops and not one even had a TPMS tool or knew how to use one - they all said go to the dealer. So I am on my own.

Since I have the CUB tool I was hoping to be able to use it - the VDO sensors are written up as similar to OEM but whether this sensor to CUB connectivity is valid I have no way of knowing till I get hold of a sensor.
I bought this tool from Amazon also as I plan on having two sets of wheels. It works fine programing the car.
Amazon Amazon
Jon
Old 05-23-2018, 07:58 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
So does Australia require cars to have TPMS like the US does? If so, then it is hard to believe major tire shops wouldn't have or know how to use a TPMS tool.
Yes many cars have runflats with TPMS here - must say I was gobsmacked when not a single shop in my area had one - as a matter of fact the first guy I asked told me the sensors last the life of the car and never needed any maintenance. Waffled on about testers costing tens of thousands - I realised he had no idea. The others just literally threw hands in air and said it was not their problem whether the sensors worked - they do not test them and advise people to take the car back to the dealer. I was shocked I can assure you - great customer service no doubt but that's how it is.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:02 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Originally Posted by wfojon
I bought this tool from Amazon also as I plan on having two sets of wheels. It works fine programing the car.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jon
Yes that's the cheapest model around without a reader and seems to work well.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Thanks guys I will take all comments on board. Cultrag supply OEM for around $50 + freight so may be way to go this time.

I have also replaced batteries on sensors but it is difficult to replicate the cleanliness of factory made sensors. The slightest discharge current of microamps due to even a dirty fingerprint will flatten the battery more quickly. My result was about 4 years on one and the second one is still running - of course the cost of around $4 to replace battery is attractive but not if they don't last as I cannot break the tyre beads so costs me $20 each time.

It does seem odd that VDO brand aftermarket sensors would have high failure rates since they are a top German brand but it is what it is I guess and the genuine OEM sensors are very reliable. I have two old used OEM ones on shelf for last 5 years and they still both register - quite amazing really.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS CUB Tool

Quick Reply: TPMS CUB Tool