Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New owner, are my heads “fixed”?

Old 05-23-2018, 02:23 AM
Craig Fisk
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner, are my heads “fixed”?

Sorry if this has been covered, I tried to find any info on this and couldn’t so apologize if so. Just purchased an 07 Z06, 54k miles, cold air and exhaust is only mods. My question is do these green dots on each head just below the casting number mean anything related to the “fix”? They are on both heads, same location. Thank you for any input.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Green dots don’t mean much of anything. Exhaust bolts don’t look to have ever been removed and there’s stock head bolts still on the engine. Not definitive but it looks stock.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Agreed with redbird. Looks stock.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 633 Likes on 442 Posts

I know when WCCH does heads, they engrave their company logo on the front of the heads and is clearly visible. I don't know if AHP does, or any other vendor.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 05-23-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:27 AM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Location? More information about the sale/purchase may help. Forum members here are like CSI when it comes to tracking down a Vette, in some cases.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Green dots don’t mean much of anything. Exhaust bolts don’t look to have ever been removed and there’s stock head bolts still on the engine. Not definitive but it looks stock.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 AM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Doesn't matter if they are "fixed" or not. It is on you to personally pull a valve cover. Remove at least one (but preferably more) exhaust and intake valve rocker and and see if you can move the valve with the spring still attached. Do this for both heads, start with passenger side as it is easier.

You should only need a 10mm and a 5/16 or 8mm to do this job. Its very simple, if the valve moves at all with the spring still attached, it needs further inspection and likely is no good.

Let engine cool
1) Remove vanity engine covers
2) Unplug white harness from coil bracket.
3) Remove 6 10mm bolts holding coil bracket to valve cover
with spark plugs still plugged in,
4) Lay the entire coil bracket in the space between headers and fender
5) Remove bolts holding valve cover to head (8mm)
6) Remove vent line from valve cover (passengers side has a release lever, drivers side is two buttons on either side to release)
7) Remove 8mm or 5/16 rocker arm bolts
8) Check for movement by holding the top of the spring and seeing if the valve will move on its seat. It should not have any movement that you can feel with the spring tension on it.
9) Reassemble in reverse order, torque for rocker arms is 22 ft lbs
https://paceperformance.com/files/pd...rque-specs.pdf

Last edited by Spacewalker; 05-23-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

PRC heads are stamped
Old 05-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Craig Fisk
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike44665
Location? More information about the sale/purchase may help. Forum members here are like CSI when it comes to tracking down a Vette, in some cases.
I am a small classic car/truck dealer and purchased this car at auction so history and paperwork is limited. I am keeping the car for myself and want to enjoy it not always be worrying about the heads though. The car has been maintained well and there is paperwork for a lot of stuff from most recent owner but nothing previous.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Craig Fisk
5th Gear

Originally Posted by redbird555
All of the surrounding bolts, exhaust, intake, front accessories etc.... have been removed as they all have been “painted”. I don’t see any stickers on my heads either. A friend of mine has a car with the heads fixed and same scenario, stick head bolts no paint marks, but all surrounding hardware has been “painted”. But he has paperwork and no green dots. I guess I’ll pull the covers, was just hoping someone knew what the dots were for. Thanks all
Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Fisk

I am a small classic car/truck dealer and purchased this car at auction so history and paperwork is limited. I am keeping the car for myself and want to enjoy it not always be worrying about the heads though. The car has been maintained well and there is paperwork for a lot of stuff from most recent owner but nothing previous.
Any car can fail at any time for many reasons. Why worry?
Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Craig Fisk
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Any car can fail at any time for many reasons. Why worry?
obviously im referring to worrying about valve issue. Thx
The following users liked this post:
corvettenutz (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:21 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Yea get them checked and most likely will need fixing as well

All of the surrounding bolts, exhaust, intake, front accessories etc.... have been removed as they all have been “painted”. I don’t see any stickers on my heads either. A friend of mine has a car with the heads fixed and same scenario, stick head bolts no paint marks, but all surrounding hardware has been “painted”. But he has paperwork and no green dots. I guess I’ll pull the covers, was just hoping someone knew what the dots were for. Thanks all
All ls7 will have marks on the bolts. The engines are all hand built and the bolts were marked to know they were torqued
Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Craig Fisk
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike44665
I purchased the car here in AZ, where it has been since 2012 according to carfax. I did take it to a local shop today and they confirmed the heads have been off, but for what is unknown. He did the test mentioned below and stated it is very tight compared to some he has seen prior. However, was not able to confirm with certainty one way or the other. My next step is to try and track down the previous owners I guess. It is a black 2LZ with non chrome wheels, K&N cai, and muffler delete. Vin # 1G1YY26EX75129511. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I realize that. These cars are reliable, but they do fail for other reasons. Don't worry; be happy (and drive your car)!

Craig Fisk (05-27-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 262 Posts

I purchased the car here in AZ, where it has been since 2012 according to carfax. I did take it to a local shop today and they confirmed the heads have been off, but for what is unknown. He did the test mentioned below and stated it is very tight compared to some he has seen prior. However, was not able to confirm with certainty one way or the other. My next step is to try and track down the previous owners I guess. It is a black 2LZ with non chrome wheels, K&N cai, and muffler delete. Vin # 1G1YY26EX75129511. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Do yourself a favor and find a reputable shop in your area (which I'm sure someone on here can help with that) and have them pull the value covers off and check all the values. It doesn't matter what was done to the car before. You could still have issues. Just get it over with and you will have piece of mind.
Craig Fisk (05-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New owner, are my heads “fixed”?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner, are my heads “fixed”?