C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] SRIII chassis, alternative battery mounting locations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:25 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default SRIII chassis, alternative battery mounting locations?

Anyone that has a SRIII chassis (or other chassis for that matter), have you mounted the battery in any other location than the engine compartment...if so where and what did you have to do if anything other than bolt it down and run wires?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
Anyone that has a SRIII chassis (or other chassis for that matter), have you mounted the battery in any other location than the engine compartment...if so where and what did you have to do if anything other than bolt it down and run wires?
Hey Herb.

When Jeff built 1CoolC2 he mounted the battery in the folding top storage area just in front of the rear panel. Fabricate a mount to attach to the body and run the wires. Nothing magical.

Rich
Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Hey Herb.

When Jeff built 1CoolC2 he mounted the battery in the folding top storage area just in front of the rear panel. Fabricate a mount to attach to the body and run the wires. Nothing magical.

Rich
I should have said I have a coupe......
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I should have said I have a coupe......
Matters not. You have lots of room, but will need to fabricate a battery cover as well as a mount if you’re going to move inboard. You can carpet over the cover. Make a wooden box to cover the battery and use it as a template to lay up a glass mold for the battery cover.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:25 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Matters not. You have lots of room, but will need to fabricate a battery cover as well as a mount if you’re going to move inboard. You can carpet over the cover. Make a wooden box to cover the battery and use it as a template to lay up a glass mold for the battery cover.
I was considering putting it in the back with a vented box to the outside....trying to find out if anyone else had a good location....I put the battery in my Model A under the car and when I had to replace the battery I found out what a PIA to remove it...not impossible but my old body didnt like crawling under the car to change it out....next time I will put it up on the lift and do it...I will put the swc up on the lift and see if I have any optional areas underneath.....
Old 05-24-2018, 02:16 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

I use one of the other chassis, an have mounted the battery behind the passenger's seat, inside enclosure/box built to provide both covered storage space, as well as more flat storage space behind seats.

Storage space room is dependent on what Gen suspension chassis. I believe SRIII chassis design of rear chassis kick-ups makes for less flat storage space, but could also effect making a usable enclosed storage space behind seat. Never seen pictures of rear storage space behind seats of one. I also use small high amp car battery, again for more space, along with less weight.

Basics of what we did on current project with C6 suspension. This one is not as nice as one we built for Lydia, but it add one hell of a lot less weight to car than one in Lydia. Also have the luxury of having Light weight Dummy Battery to use to build storage box with.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 05-24-2018 at 02:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firstgear (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:46 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I was considering putting it in the back with a vented box to the outside....trying to find out if anyone else had a good location....I put the battery in my Model A under the car and when I had to replace the battery I found out what a PIA to remove it...not impossible but my old body didnt like crawling under the car to change it out....next time I will put it up on the lift and do it...I will put the swc up on the lift and see if I have any optional areas underneath.....
Use an AGM battery and you don’t need the venting.
firstgear (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Big Hit
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Here's a picture of our 63 SWC RestoMod, hand build tube Chassis. The battery Box is placed behind the passenger seat. Out of site.
Attached Images  
firstgear (05-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To SRIII chassis, alternative battery mounting locations?

Quick Reply: [C2] SRIII chassis, alternative battery mounting locations?