C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need photos of a properly mounted 80-82 gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:48 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Need photos of a properly mounted 80-82 gas tank

Finally got the tank back in but still concerned about whether it's properly mounted. I know I should have taken photos first, but it didn't seem that complicated with just 6 bolts.

Is this strap mounted correctly - i.e. does it go through a hole in the support bar as I did here rather than around the support bar as the straps in older vettes with smaller tanks do.

The only place the tank sits on the back frame cross member at the corners. It is the small area with the black tape.

Everywhere else there is space between the tank and rear frame cross member. It is not supported anywhere but the corners.

Some photos of the strap bolts would also help me. There's no torque spec on them and I'd like to see how much thread is exposed to judge how tight they should be. Thanks,

Last edited by vince vette 2; 05-23-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I don't know if these are helpful, but I just pulled the spare tire off my 1980 car tonight. She's numbers matching, 116K miles, and appears to have the tank sticker intact, so I doubt her tank has ever been out.

I can get some more photos tomorrow, now that I know what to look for.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
vince vette 2 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I don't know if these are helpful, but I just pulled the spare tire off my 1980 car tonight. She's numbers matching, 116K miles, and appears to have the tank sticker intact, so I doubt her tank has ever been out.

I can get some more photos tomorrow, now that I know what to look for.
Thanks. Wow, what luck on the timing of the post.

The strap photo definitely shows I have them n the correct position. Some shots at the rear cross member should answer my questions on that end. I very much appreciate your help.

Here's a post I did concerning getting the build sheet off the tank in case you're going to retrieve it. Here's the actual URL in case the link doesn't work - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tank-rust.html

I was amazed at the legibility after 38 years and 90,000 miles.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by vince vette 2
Thanks. Wow, what luck on the timing of the post.

The strap photo definitely shows I have them n the correct position. Some shots at the rear cross member should answer my questions on that end. I very much appreciate your help.

Here's a post I did concerning getting the build sheet off the tank in case you're going to retrieve it. Here's the actual URL in case the link doesn't work - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tank-rust.html

I was amazed at the legibility after 38 years and 90,000 miles.

Thanks for the tip on the build sheet! I'm trying to avoid "while I'm in there-itis", but the build sheet is right there. Maybe I'll try my borescope first.

From what I can tell (seeing it in person is better than this image), the rear of the tank is just held at the two corners. Where the padding strip is missing, nothing touches the tank between the tank and the rear crossmember.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2018, 12:09 AM
garrettb
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The AIM gives a torque range for the two nuts securing the straps, but it’s a bit worthless. My brackets started bending at about half the given value. I ended up using a 1/4” drive ratchet and just “snugging” them up about the same. Really hard for someone like me with “bolt torque OCD”!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:54 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Thanks for the tip on the build sheet! I'm trying to avoid "while I'm in there-itis", but the build sheet is right there. Maybe I'll try my borescope first.

From what I can tell (seeing it in person is better than this image), the rear of the tank is just held at the two corners. Where the padding strip is missing, nothing touches the tank between the tank and the rear crossmember.
Thanks for getting the photo. I had trouble to getting the shot that shows the gap. The camera had to be at just the right angle. But the corner position tells the story along with your confirmation that it's the only area of contact.

I to have been avoiding mission creep. For example, with the tank out it would have been the best time to swap the fuel lines. But then I'd never have this thing on the road before the rear end rebuild was out of warranty. But the build sheet being there and legible, I figured it had a greater time critical situation to save it.

Thanks for you help.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by garrettb
The AIM gives a torque range for the two nuts securing the straps, but it’s a bit worthless. My brackets started bending at about half the given value. I ended up using a 1/4” drive ratchet and just “snugging” them up about the same. Really hard for someone like me with “bolt torque OCD”!
You confirmed my thoughts, it would be easy to start buckling things. I'll opt for your method.

Get notified of new replies

To Need photos of a properly mounted 80-82 gas tank

Quick Reply: Need photos of a properly mounted 80-82 gas tank