Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Just bought a ZR1 and need help fiding parts..

Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought a ZR1 and need help fiding parts..

I drove the car for the first time today and had a strange clunk on bumpy roads, got home from work tonight and threw it up in the air and found all 4 of my shocks are blown out and leaking, mine is the model with the magnetic ride control, I did a quick google search and found stock replacements on GM parts direct, there pricey and I figure since going with OEM parts isn't the "cheap" way to do it maybe I should spend a bit more and explore options for a better aftermarket option that will offer better performance and handling. anybody have any ideas?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a set of LG G2s available. Lots of folks here feel they're the best. See my thread in the FS section.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I've read that those mag shocks can have a tendency to "seep"...wipe them all down top to bottom, under boot, everywhere. See how quickly they get oily again.

Strange clunk could be sway bar end links that are prone to fail as well.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 PM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
I have a set of LG G2s available. Lots of folks here feel they're the best. See my thread in the FS section.
I appreciate the offer but I’d rather not install coil overs. I’d like either a stock replacement or an aftermarket stock style shock to replace my worn out parts.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:12 PM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I've read that those mag shocks can have a tendency to "seep"...wipe them all down top to bottom, under boot, everywhere. See how quickly they get oily again.

Strange clunk could be sway bar end links that are prone to fail as well.
there not seeping, there running down the body of the shock. And the clunk was a broken exhaust hanger, I noticed the shocks were leaking when I was inspecting the exhaust system.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:31 AM
03Cobrra
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a whole set of low mileage shocks. Sent you a PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Looking at your other post, looks like you bought a car with 4 bad shocks, a broken exhaust hanger and no front sway bar. I would take that car to a competent shop and have the entire car gone through.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
Looking at your other post, looks like you bought a car with 4 bad shocks, a broken exhaust hanger and no front sway bar. I would take that car to a competent shop and have the entire car gone through.
I bought a car that was crashed totaled and rebuilt. The seller told me I could take it as is or wait for him to order the shocks and sway bar. I decided to take it as is for a small discount. All the body work was done professionally and the previous owner didn’t want to pay the body shop to change the shocks and sway bar.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Grey ZR1
I drove the car for the first time today and had a strange clunk on bumpy roads, got home from work tonight and threw it up in the air and found all 4 of my shocks are blown out and leaking, mine is the model with the magnetic ride control
This part of your original post made it sound like you did not know it needed shocks. Just FYI, but all ZR1's came with mag ride.

Good thing is these shocks come up for sale often, usually with low miles, you should not have difficulty finding a good used set if you want to save some coin.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
This part of your original post made it sound like you did not know it needed shocks. Just FYI, but all ZR1's came with mag ride.

Good thing is these shocks come up for sale often, usually with low miles, you should not have difficulty finding a good used set if you want to save some coin.
He told me they were leaking. As was started above, I know it’s common for them to have a small seep but until I put the car in the air for the first time I didn’t realize they were leaking that bad and blown out.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:35 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Missing front sway bar makes it sound like the car was set up for drag racing. Wonder if the crash damage was caused by a wall/guard rail?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 PM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Missing front sway bar makes it sound like the car was set up for drag racing. Wonder if the crash damage was caused by a wall/guard rail?
no it was spun out on the highway off the road and up over a road sign. Yes was set up for drag racing. The previous owner replaced this car with a new one and took the auto trans and all performance parts out of this car and installed them into the new car, then put all the factory parts from the ‘13 into this car after the repair was done.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:21 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

no it was spun out on the highway off the road and up over a road sign. Yes was set up for drag racing. The previous owner replaced this car with a new one and took the auto trans and all performance parts out of this car and installed them into the new car, then put all the factory parts from the ‘13 into this car after the repair was done.
Auto transmission ??????????? so it was converted from the M7?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Auto transmission ??????????? so it was converted from the M7?
it’s got an m7 in it now.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:28 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

it’s got an m7 in it now.
Hope you got a really really good deal with all that's been going on with this car.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:29 AM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

Hope you got a really really good deal with all that's been going on with this car.
Ive never in my life been able to afford a zr1 before so you tell me. ..
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 AM
Cyber Grey ZR1
Intermediate

most zr1’s have low mileage because the owners keep them covered in there garage to keep them prestine so the resale value stays high. I was told a long time ago by an old time car guy that “having a nice car and not driving it so till be worth more when you sell it is like having a hot girlfriend and not ................ you can knock the history of my car all you want but my car is going to be enjoyed every warm dry day from here until the day it falls apart or gets wrecked or blows up. Then I’m going to fix it and start over again.

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 05-27-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: language
Old 05-27-2018, 10:00 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

why, it's not your money
Old 05-27-2018, 10:04 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Ive never in my life been able to afford a zr1 before so you tell me. ..
We don't know your situation or what you paid for it or spent to get it fixed

most zr1’s have low mileage because the owners keep them covered in there garage to keep them prestine so the resale value stays high. I was told a long time ago by an old time car guy that “having a nice car and not driving it so till be worth more when you sell it is like having a hot girlfriend and not ................ you can knock the history of my car all you want but my car is going to be enjoyed every warm dry day from here until the day it falls apart or gets wrecked or blows up. Then I’m going to fix it and start over again.
No one is knocking anything. Sometimes you get what you don't pay for and taking on someone else's problem is not worth it with the time and $$$ spent to fix things.

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought a ZR1 and need help fiding parts..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought a ZR1 and need help fiding parts..