C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 shop manual states to set rotor between #1 and #8 at TDC

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:49 PM
r16678
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1979 shop manual states to set rotor between #1 and #8 at TDC

Been fighting with my 1979 L48 timing. Went back and looked at the 1979 shop manual I have and it stated to set TDC #1 with harmonic balancer mark at 0 and then point rotor between #1 and #8 distributor cap towers before dropping the distributor in. Which when I do the distributor rotor turns clockwise as it goes into the cam gear and moves closer to #8, did not sound correct. I will attach pictures of manual. I read Lars papers on timing, the manual I have does not match Lars recommendation, also tried with no luck.

Problem I have been having is my engine is requiring a 30+ degree of initial advance to run, not sure why. My harmonic balancer is brand new, I have set TDC with piston stop at least 10 times. installed a new cycloes timing set and yes I have the dots lined up. Can't figure why high initial timing. The engine is the original L48 engine with original distributor all with 88K total miles on it.
Would be interested if anyone else ran into this and found a solution.

Last edited by r16678; 05-24-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

did you do anything to the original timing tab on the cover?
the harmonic balancer is the same diameter as the original?
forgive this question if too basic but you do have the timing light connected to the front spark plug wire on the drivers side?
you are setting the timing with the vacuum advance disconnected?
the distributor weights are fully retracted by the springs?
what is the manufacturer and part number of the balancer?

Last edited by MelWff; 05-24-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,654 Likes on 2,916 Posts

What exactly are you "fighting with my 1979 L48 timing".
During your initial setup, are you feeling the compression with you finger over the spark plug hole on the exhaust or power stroke?

"Yes I have the dots lined up", are you sure the right dots are lined up?
Some gear sets have degree dots marked on the gears to advance or retard the initial timing using the gears and timing chain during assembly.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I bet its not 30* advanced. Key word here is: new harmonic balancer. Who compares the timing marks on the old one with the new one? Nobody.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:45 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The final instruction is to set timing, so the only effect that instruction would have is to possibly move where the distributor is rotated when properly timed. In other words, move the distributor rotation a gear either way.

Did you try a different timing light to confirm it wasn't the timing light?

Describe the steps you did when using the piston stop to find the 0* timing mark. I have a feeling you may have done this part wrong since you never set TDC using a piston stop.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 05-24-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:40 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
I bet its not 30* advanced. Key word here is: new harmonic balancer. Who compares the timing marks on the old one with the new one? Nobody.
I should have mentioned the original balancer had the outer ring slip off so no way to compare.

thanks for the help

Last edited by r16678; 05-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:43 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by MelWff
did you do anything to the original timing tab on the cover?
the harmonic balancer is the same diameter as the original?
forgive this question if too basic but you do have the timing light connected to the front spark plug wire on the drivers side?
you are setting the timing with the vacuum advance disconnected?
the distributor weights are fully retracted by the springs?
what is the manufacturer and part number of the balancer?
Great questions, I have put answers below
did you do anything to the original timing tab on the cover? No kept reinstalled the original

forgive this question if too basic but you do have the timing light connected to the front spark plug wire on the drivers side? yes I did connect to front plug, but will go over that again

you are setting the timing with the vacuum advance disconnected? Yes it is disconnected

the distributor weights are fully retracted by the springs? Yes I took a look at that and they retracted

what is the manufacturer and part number of the balancer? I got it from Summit racing PRO-66510
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66510

thanks for the help
Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
What exactly are you "fighting with my 1979 L48 timing".
During your initial setup, are you feeling the compression with you finger over the spark plug hole on the exhaust or power stroke?

"Yes I have the dots lined up", are you sure the right dots are lined up?
Some gear sets have degree dots marked on the gears to advance or retard the initial timing using the gears and timing chain during assembly.
During your initial setup, are you feeling the compression with you finger over the spark plug hole on the exhaust or power stroke? Yes I checked that, will double check again

Some gear sets have degree dots marked on the gears to advance or retard the initial timing using the gears and timing chain during assembly. Yes mine has three I picked the one for factory which is half moon. I have a picture some where I can publish if you would like to see it, have to go dig it up

thanks for the help
Old 05-24-2018, 03:49 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

when you verify TDC on the compression stroke is the harmonic balancer mark also pointing to 0* ?

are you using a dial back timing light?

the disributor will always advance the same amount when you drop it in....you can measure it its always the same amount. you can "clock it" easy one tooth in either direction by moving it slighty. use blue tape on the distributor base and measure where the rotor is pointing when you start taking it out and where it ends up.
you can use the spark plug towers to approximate where the rotor needs to point just mark a line with a sharpie at the bottom of the tower on the distributor base.

if i had to guess.....you have a harmonic balancer that has the index line not where it needs to be.....no biggie just paint a new line on it. and this is because the timing chain covers oftern get switched and the pointer location is in a different spot

Last edited by bobs77vet; 05-24-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:54 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The final instruction is to set timing, so the only effect that instruction would have is to possibly move where the distributor is rotated when properly timed. In other words, move the distributor rotation a gear either way.

Did you try a different timing light to confirm it wasn't the timing light?

Describe the steps you did when using the piston stop to find the 0* timing mark. I have a feeling you may have done this part wrong since you never set TDC using a piston stop.
Yes I checked alternate light.

Description of finding TDC #1 with engine stop
1. insert engine stop into #1 spark plug
2. turn engine over clockwise by hand until piston 1 stops against engine stop
3. Mark line on balancer at 0 position
4. Turn engine over counter clockwise (reverse) until piston 1 stops against engine stop
5. Mark another line on balancer at 0 position
6 measure distance between two new lines and the middle is top dead center. Which in my case is the same line that the balancer has marked as 0. See my attached pictures, from what I have read that is the correct way let me know if I am missing something. thanks

Old 05-24-2018, 04:17 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by r16678
Been fighting with my 1979 L48 timing. Went back and looked at the 1979 shop manual I have and it stated to set TDC #1 with harmonic balancer mark at 0 and then point rotor between #1 and #8 distributor cap towers before dropping the distributor in. Which when I do the distributor rotor turns clockwise as it goes into the cam gear and moves closer to #8, did not sound correct. I will attach pictures of manual. I read Lars papers on timing, the manual I have does not match Lars recommendation, also tried with no luck.

Problem I have been having is my engine is requiring a 30+ degree of initial advance to run, not sure why. My harmonic balancer is brand new, I have set TDC with piston stop at least 10 times. installed a new cycloes timing set and yes I have the dots lined up. Can't figure why high initial timing. The engine is the original L48 engine with original distributor all with 88K total miles on it.
Would be interested if anyone else ran into this and found a solution.

can i assume you had intake off?
what reason did you change timing chain?

many times people get the carb set wrong and chase timing.
have you tried opening idle as you retard timing?
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

That's exactly how you find/check the 0* mark on the balancer.

Did you change the cam?

At this point, I'd say the cam or timing chain is off or the carb/fuel is off.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:56 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by r16678
During your initial setup, are you feeling the compression with you finger over the spark plug hole on the exhaust or power stroke? Yes I checked that, will double check again

Some gear sets have degree dots marked on the gears to advance or retard the initial timing using the gears and timing chain during assembly. Yes mine has three I picked the one for factory which is half moon. I have a picture some where I can publish if you would like to see it, have to go dig it up

thanks for the help
A photo would help.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:32 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
when you verify TDC on the compression stroke is the harmonic balancer mark also pointing to 0* ?

are you using a dial back timing light?

the disributor will always advance the same amount when you drop it in....you can measure it its always the same amount. you can "clock it" easy one tooth in either direction by moving it slighty. use blue tape on the distributor base and measure where the rotor is pointing when you start taking it out and where it ends up.
you can use the spark plug towers to approximate where the rotor needs to point just mark a line with a sharpie at the bottom of the tower on the distributor base.

if i had to guess.....you have a harmonic balancer that has the index line not where it needs to be.....no biggie just paint a new line on it. and this is because the timing chain covers oftern get switched and the pointer location is in a different spot

when you verify TDC on the compression stroke is the harmonic balancer mark also pointing to 0* ? Yes

are you using a dial back timing light? Yes but when I installed the distributor I did with harmonic balancer 12 BTDC and then had to turn another 20 degrees to get it to run smoothly

The timing chain cover is original and I think the harmonic balancer I bought was match to original at least that is what summit told me. I appreciate your help
Old 05-24-2018, 07:35 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by calwldlife
can i assume you had intake off?
what reason did you change timing chain?

have you tried opening idle as you retard timing?
can i assume you had intake off? Yes
what reason did you change timing chain? It was stretched and I notice on tooth missing from the original cam sprocket

have you tried opening idle as you retard timing? I have not tried this will you please explain what you mean by opening idle. Thanks for the help
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 PM
r16678
Racer

A photo would help.
Good point, this is the photo I took after I double checked my install of the new sprockets and timing chain.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
That's exactly how you find/check the 0* mark on the balancer.

Did you change the cam?

At this point, I'd say the cam or timing chain is off or the carb/fuel is off.

I did not change the cam.

I will check the carb.
thanks a bunch for the help

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 shop manual states to set rotor between #1 and #8 at TDC

Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't both timing marks be at the 12:00 position?
Is the op now 180 degrees out?
Or am I backwards, it's been a long time.
Even if he is 180 degrees out this set up can still work, he just needs to set up the distributor differently?

Last edited by OldCarBum; 05-24-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:03 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't both timing marks be at the 12:00 position?
Is the op now 180 degrees out?
Or am I backwards, it's been a long time.
Even if he is 180 degrees out this set up can still work, he just needs to set up the distributor differently?

that shows #6 cylinder is on tdc ready to fire.
turn crank 1 full rev and now #1 is tdc ready to fire,

to OP
turn idle screw in to open throttle will raise rpms.
until you try to get the right timing by adjusting idle,
you can't diagnose any issues.

when setting up the motor after the work you did
idle often needs to be adjusted.
idle screw either in or out as you set timing.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:12 PM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by calwldlife
that shows #6 cylinder is on tdc ready to fire.
turn crank 1 full rev and now #1 is tdc ready to fire,

to OP
turn idle screw in to open throttle will raise rpms.
until you try to get the right timing by adjusting idle,
you can't diagnose any issues.

when setting up the motor after the work you did
idle often needs to be adjusted.
idle screw either in or out as you set timing.
Thank you very much I will try that out.

Quick Reply: 1979 shop manual states to set rotor between #1 and #8 at TDC