C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best cam for a daily driver with my current power plant

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:54 AM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Best cam for a daily driver with my current power plant

04 C5 Targa Top 6 Speed 40k Miles. Once I install my top speed long tube headers and x pipe with high flow cats the cam is the final add on. I wanna purchase it now hoping to get a discount with the holiday weekend. 400 RWHP is my goal without putting to much stress on the rest of the motor. I’m told anything over a 600 lift is to much without heads and other supporting mods. I need reliability with ***** that turn heads.

Im buying this cam today so I have it ready for install when my exhaust is done. Wish I could give more on what I want but a 6 Speed 400 HP WITH TQ TO Match is all that comes to mind. Any shops running sales , I’ll be sure to pass your name on for the sake of bringing the shop business. Thanks guys!

Last edited by C5 for life; 05-25-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:15 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Be aware that usually going with an aftermarket cam requires that you have the dual valve springs changed out every 10k to 20k Miles..

You d be surprised how fast 20k Miles accumulates and then unless you do this work yourself...your daily driver has to go to a “tuner” shop and sit to wait for them to get around to doing this job for you.

It was always something I didn’t remember to do and at about 18k Miles on my mild 224/224 .561 cam with a 114 lsa my valve spring broke...

Luckily it was a dual valve spring so it didn’t damage the engine...but it was a pain to get a shop in Long Island NY to do the work relatively quickly which was where the car was stuck.

The “tuner”in NJ I used to do the install was always too backed up ..

As a weekend toy the cam I mentioned was very cool. Got tons of complements on the power and sound and made with headers 385 rwhp.

As a daily driver it was fine with the one disappointment of not realizing how fast the valve spring replacement comes up and then having to drop the car off and rent a car waiting for the “tuner shop” to get around to swapping out your valve springs that are needed for a non stick cam...

If I remember corr3ctly I think a lighter cam than I used was from lingenfelter (sp) and it did not putas much stress on the valve springs and the stock never need to be replaced valve springs could be used...it made a few ponies less but the value of not having to schedule appointments to drop the car off at that NJ “tuner “ shop to wait while my car would sit in their parking area would have been a better choice on my c5 I owned years back...

Just my opinion..l

My suggestion is if your going with a slightly more aggressive cam is just stay with the 114 lLSA..it helps pass emissions testing if that’s an issue for annual inspection and it’s not to Lopey..

I just wanted to give you a heads up in case your planning to drive12k miles a year...be prepared to speak with your hopefully local shop ahead of time to get their commitment to be relatively quick when doing your annual valve spring swap..

I didn’t and luckily had the dual valve spring at least save my engine...

The Whole experience soured me to suggesting the extra hp from an aftermarket cam was worthwhile in my case.

I have no patience for my sports cars to sit at a “tuner” shop waiting to be serviced on a daily driver...

So I’d recommend a supercharger set up next time around...

It’s a few more dollars than a cam, headers and gears but it would be the way I’d get more hp in a daily if that’s what I were to do again.

Just a perspective to consider ...often times on the forums used supercharger kits become available for around 3 grand...add $1000 to 1500 for install...and if you get a supercharger to get to 450 rwhp...you don’t need headers saving a few bucks..

I have seen shops advertise on the forums of 6 grand brand new supercharger kits installed too...if you live near them it might be something to consider..

Not having to go for an annual or every 18 month valve spring replacement was not something I would opt in for a daily driver.

If you do the work yourself..then like I said..my C5 ls6 stick dyno’d 385 rwhp with that cam I mentioned with a tune, headers an an air filter mod...and was easily passing emissions testing and worked as a daily...

Your choice. I just gave you my opinion in hindsight.

Good luck deciding,

I realize your going today for all your mods...but that’s my opinion in hindsight..

I will say...I did years later run into some of the people in town who always said they loved my c5 z06 and the cam choice in their opinion made the car sound very cool.

It was a fun fast car with that cam sounded great with 385 rwhp running American racing headers and the stock titanium exhaust that my z06 came with.

I’d consider a supercharger for a daily though in hindsight.

My cammed ls6 didn’t have the durability for a good daily because of the need to swap out the dual valve springs every 10k to 20k Miles..and that happens too fast in a daily driver for me at least.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:34 AM
C5 for life
Pro

I too have patience when it comes to waiting for any serevive. I would have bout the shop lunc and slip the tech doing my car an extra 3 bones. With the exoevteruion of never waiting again. I use to worry about money until the more I help help people the more it comes back to me. Like right now first time ever can’t any of my guys 😡

thabks for your knowledge

Last edited by C5 for life; 05-25-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I’m a big fan of taking care of people who work for me...I built around 70 multi million dollar businesses in manhattan over the past 30 years so I definitely know how to grease the wheels..

Still

Trust me when I tell you sometimes getting the modded car serviced can be a slow process..

It was never the cost of doing a mod like that again that motivated me to stay without cracking open the motors again. ,it’s the f ‘in hassles getting the ease of service and durability of a relatively Oem powertrain that keeps me out of the powertrain mods for daily drivers..

I really don’t have time for a car laid up sitting in a yard for service fo extended periods of time because the Tuner is over booked and there’s are real times grease isn’t going to make the difference, (especially when it comes to service like swapping out valve springs as a maintaince item)

If it was just a question of even more moneys it wouldn’t have been a problem.

I’m just giving you the low down of daily driving a cam installed car that pops up it’s ugly head as a daily driver..

Other than that...the 224/224 .561 114 lsa cam was a good choice for 385 rwhp with headers, tune and air intake...as the mods...

Have fun..

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-25-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

As someone who has daily driven a heads and cam car, many of us go past 20k on springs with a cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...post-42-a.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-9-years.html

60k miles on springs with a 224/224 Comp XE-R lobe which the XE-R isn't the gentlest lobe on the market.

Spring life depends on how you drive and the cam used.

The various 224 cams make for a great daily driver cam. I would call some shops and tell them your goals.

Forced induction is more likely to detonate and crack a piston due to some bad gas, than breaking a spring on a properly set up heads and cam.

Last edited by 93Polo; 05-25-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:24 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Well that’s what’s great about these forums as it allows each of us to share our experience.

The 224/224 .561 114 lsa should have or at least years back was considered a light cam at the time and as you can see the overall hp improvement was on my application a moderate hp boost but I was happy having a modified emissions capable higher performing z06 until the dual high quality valve spring took a dump.

I was told by the shop out in Long Island installing the new valve springs I should have replaced them every 15 to 20k miles..

I didn’t abuse the vehicle and drove it as I would a stock daily driver for the most part.

My experience might have been rare since you mention you’re at 60k miles on a set of aftermarket springs...(I think mine were cranes if I remember correctly and supposedly they were correctly matched to the cam described)

At the time I spoke to the nj tuner shop who originally installed the cam and they said oh yes....every 15 to 20k mikes the valve springs need to be replaced...(even on a light cam as I described)

Take my story as one shared ...I’m sure you will have better luck than me...

Enjoy

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-25-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I would recommend pulling the springs at 15-20k to check pressures on a daily. I have gone further and wrench on a friend's car with him who has also gone further.

I also like CamMotion cams as they seem to be easier on springs.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:23 PM
C5 for life
Pro

For me Reliability beats excessive horse power every time. Plus, I use my vette as a therapeutic tool. So being without my prescription for stress would not serve me very well. Thanks for the info guys. I’m off to finish the lowering bolt job I paid the wrong guy to install. Enjoy your Friday
Old 05-25-2018, 09:39 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

So if the goal is a reliable 400 RWHP, not 500 or similar, why not go with a GM ZO6 cam, ported ZO6 inlet, heads, and throttle body? Shouldn't that combo, combined with the appropriate tune, reach 400? GM springs, GM cam -- long term reliability.

Last edited by redzg; 05-25-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:49 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Originally Posted by redzg
So if the goal is a reliable 400 RWHP, not 500 or similar, why not go with a GM ZO6 cam, ported ZO6 inlet, heads, and throttle body? Shouldn't that combo, combined with the appropriate tune, reach 400? GM springs, GM cam -- long term reliability.
Cause that sounds like a lot more money. I was hoping to get a nice cam and beef up the valve train entirely to get the most out of it.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:39 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 for life
04 C5 Targa Top 6 Speed 40k Miles. Once I install my top speed long tube headers and x pipe with high flow cats the cam is the final add on. I wanna purchase it now hoping to get a discount with the holiday weekend. 400 RWHP is my goal without putting to much stress on the rest of the motor. I’m told anything over a 600 lift is to much without heads and other supporting mods. I need reliability with ***** that turn heads.

Im buying this cam today so I have it ready for install when my exhaust is done. Wish I could give more on what I want but a 6 Speed 400 HP WITH TQ TO Match is all that comes to mind. Any shops running sales , I’ll be sure to pass your name on for the sake of bringing the shop business. Thanks guys!
I recommend the Titan 2 LS1 or Titan 3 LS1 cam from CamMotion.

Get notified of new replies

To Best cam for a daily driver with my current power plant

Quick Reply: Best cam for a daily driver with my current power plant