C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differential fluid screw up

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Fighta
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default differential fluid screw up

I was just researching some fluids on amazon and was looking at when my d4 ATF fluid would be coming in and for some reason i felt like i bought the incorrect fluid for my differential and checked what i got and yes I in fact did. (i don't know how i didn't notice this when i was changing the fluid) I even put it in and never noticed that i put in Royal Purple ROY01512 Synchromax synthetic CHROMAX into my differential and have been driving it since Sunday of last week!

Will this screw anything up in my differential? I plan on purchasing the 75-90w to get it out.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Fighta
I was just researching some fluids on amazon and was looking at when my d4 ATF fluid would be coming in and for some reason i felt like i bought the incorrect fluid for my differential and checked what i got and yes I in fact did. (i don't know how i didn't notice this when i was changing the fluid) I even put it in and never noticed that i put in Royal Purple ROY01512 Synchromax synthetic CHROMAX into my differential and have been driving it since Sunday of last week!

Will this screw anything up in my differential? I plan on purchasing the 75-90w to get it out.
The new upgraded GM differential fluid has the built in additive for the limited slip clutches in the unit. Maybe others can add some information on the Royal Purple product.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
quadracr
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your best bet is to call Royal Purple directly and tell them what you did. More than likely they are going to tell you to drain it and use the right stuff and hope for the best. If your lucky they will say you just bought a good alternative for the right stuff.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 05-25-2018, 12:31 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by quadracr
Your best bet is to call Royal Purple directly and tell them what you did. More than likely they are going to tell you to drain it and use the right stuff and hope for the best. If your lucky they will say you just bought a good alternative for the right stuff.

One thing to keep in mind when you make a call like this. RP is in business to sell product with little to no skin in the game. They could just as likely tell you that what you put in is a great alternative even if it is not. If it isn't compatible with the components in the diff, they're not on the hook for anything.

GM, on the other hand, has to invest in the engineering to get the fluid right, otherwise, they are replacing parts on their dime in warranty.

The GM fluid is actually an older formula that is non syn as I understand it. They chose this formula for reasons and did not specify a synthetic. I could take guesses that the synthetics don't work that well with the fiber clutches. I wouldn't bet RP or any other aftermarket brand does much testing past, it doesn't immediately destroy the gearbox. Other than that, they just want to sell more product.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:11 PM
quadracr
Racer

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
One thing to keep in mind when you make a call like this. RP is in business to sell product with little to no skin in the game. They could just as likely tell you that what you put in is a great alternative even if it is not. If it isn't compatible with the components in the diff, they're not on the hook for anything.

GM, on the other hand, has to invest in the engineering to get the fluid right, otherwise, they are replacing parts on their dime in warranty.

The GM fluid is actually an older formula that is non syn as I understand it. They chose this formula for reasons and did not specify a synthetic. I could take guesses that the synthetics don't work that well with the fiber clutches. I wouldn't bet RP or any other aftermarket brand does much testing past, it doesn't immediately destroy the gearbox. Other than that, they just want to sell more product.
I respectfully disagree. A brand recognized name as large as Royal Purple would not knowingly sacrifice future sales for the current customer or a loss of potential sales when the story got out that they gave bad advice for 20 dollars worth of diff oil.
RP, Amsoil, Lucas oil, Red line all have teams of Physicsists, Chemical Engineers, Material ENgineers and so forth to provide a good product for the customer as proven by years of different racers using their products.
GM nor any manufacturers that I know of make their own oil. They are not in the business of doing that. They give the specs of their fluids to people that do and then start testing and providing feedback.
The term synthetic simply means that the chemicals in the product are man made and have no relevance to the properties of the fluid. NOT being a Chemical Engineer, I can only assume that it would be easier to produce chemicals with the needed properties than try and make resources from the earth match the requirements set forth by the Engineers. For an example there are too many to list manufacturesrs that make ATF that is synthetic. Automatic transmissions all have fiber clutches in them.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:31 PM
Fighta
Instructor

I respectfully disagree. A brand recognized name as large as Royal Purple would not knowingly sacrifice future sales for the current customer or a loss of potential sales when the story got out that they gave bad advice for 20 dollars worth of diff oil.
RP, Amsoil, Lucas oil, Red line all have teams of Physicsists, Chemical Engineers, Material ENgineers and so forth to provide a good product for the customer as proven by years of different racers using their products.
GM nor any manufacturers that I know of make their own oil. They are not in the business of doing that. They give the specs of their fluids to people that do and then start testing and providing feedback.
The term synthetic simply means that the chemicals in the product are man made and have no relevance to the properties of the fluid. NOT being a Chemical Engineer, I can only assume that it would be easier to produce chemicals with the needed properties than try and make resources from the earth match the requirements set forth by the Engineers. For an example there are too many to list manufacturesrs that make ATF that is synthetic. Automatic transmissions all have fiber clutches in them.

So far the car hasn't blown up..yet...ill flush it out when i get home today.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:45 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

If the RP is the right weight, then you should be good to go, so long as you use the right amount of GM additive.

If you didn't use the additive, then you could just drain a bit and add the additive. And then refill from the drain with any loss.

If you have the wrong weight RP, then I would just go the full GM fill that was mentioned earlier.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:54 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I think that stuff is a transmission fluid which is basically around a 10wt oil.

Our differentials need a 90wt, so there's potential that under the temps a differential experiences, the fluid gets flung off too easily that it can't protect the gears from directly meshing and wearing on each other. Just dump it and put in the correct fluid, unless you were driving it hard and for extended hours, it's not going to be a problem.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:17 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

No problem! It's your car, you can put peanut butter and jelly in if you want. No objections from me. That's one of the things I love about this country.

Just curious, if you do have a failure with an aftermarket fluid in, you going to call RP for a replacement? If you call GM under warranty, I wonder what they're going to say when the fluid comes out purple?

Last edited by BlindSpot; 05-25-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Fighta
Instructor

Originally Posted by SladeX
I think that stuff is a transmission fluid which is basically around a 10wt oil.

Our differentials need a 90wt, so there's potential that under the temps a differential experiences, the fluid gets flung off too easily that it can't protect the gears from directly meshing and wearing on each other. Just dump it and put in the correct fluid, unless you were driving it hard and for extended hours, it's not going to be a problem.

Yeah that's what Im going to do. I only drive it to and from work which is about an hour each way with traffic but i have not gotten on it. Will change it out though as soon as i get home today. Thanks guys for the responses. I did not want to stir anything up though between the two people with regards to what will void warranty.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM
quadracr
Racer

LOL no worries Fighta. I have no hard feelings toward anyone. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I just use GM's new fluid. Do some figure 8s afterwards and you are good to go.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:34 PM
quadracr
Racer

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
No problem! It's your car, you can put peanut butter and jelly in if you want. No objections from me. That's one of the things I love about this country.

Just curious, if you do have a failure with an aftermarket fluid in, you going to call RP for a replacement? If you call GM under warranty, I wonder what they're going to say when the fluid comes out purple?
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part.

Includes Fluids
Old 05-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I just use GM's new fluid. Do some figure 8s afterwards and you are good to go.
LOL! Did mine in the PO parking lot after hours yesterday. A few drove by with that WTF look on their face!

Get notified of new replies

To differential fluid screw up

Quick Reply: differential fluid screw up