C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Getting Screwed by Screws!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 03:32 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Getting Screwed by Screws!

Felliow Vetters:

I'm trying to remove the driver's side AC vent above the light switch on my '91 snd the screws simply will not come out. I haven't had thus problem with any of the other one-thousand screws in the interior, so what gives? From the FSM, it looks like they may be holding in the dash pad, but neither WD40 or Kroil Oil will loosen them. Also interesting is the fact that none of my philips-head screwdrivers seat very well in the screw heads, so I'm afraid to turn too hard for fear if destroying the head. Is there something unique about them that I don't know?

I am replacing the heater core and adding heat barrier plus new carpeting to my car, thus it's getting pretty well torn down inside. Having learned the hard way in years past, I am taking pics of everything I do and putting remarks on them as I progress. Hopefully, I'll be able to share them with you when the rebuild is finished.

As usual, thanks in advance for any and all replIes!

SnorT91Man
Old 05-25-2018, 04:26 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

IMO:

Sometimes a Posi-drive bit will sit better in some of the larger Phillips type screw heads and bring them out.

Try your hardware store. They use them for drywall screws and such.

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2018, 04:29 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by SnorT91Man
Felliow Vetters:

I'm trying to remove the driver's side AC vent above the light switch on my '91 snd the screws simply will not come out. I haven't had thus problem with any of the other one-thousand screws in the interior, so what gives? From the FSM, it looks like they may be holding in the dash pad, but neither WD40 or Kroil Oil will loosen them. Also interesting is the fact that none of my philips-head screwdrivers seat very well in the screw heads, so I'm afraid to turn too hard for fear if destroying the head. Is there something unique about them that I don't know?

I am replacing the heater core and adding heat barrier plus new carpeting to my car, thus it's getting pretty well torn down inside. Having learned the hard way in years past, I am taking pics of everything I do and putting remarks on them as I progress. Hopefully, I'll be able to share them with you when the rebuild is finished.

As usual, thanks in advance for any and all replIes!

SnorT91Man
. The only thing I can think of in regard to the screw driver delema is that the screwdrivers are Pozi- Drive Philip's, it's a little different than normal Philip's.

Last edited by s carter; 05-25-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:28 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If it won't mess up the dash, try a few drops of PB Blaster, works fine to loosen corrosion.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:21 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fixed My "Screwed by Screws" Post

I solved my over-tight screw problem. I found my FlipOut electric screwdriver at home, put a good charge on it, inserted the best-fit bit, and hit reverse...and the screws about jumped all the way to the back deck! So, thanks for the replies but the problem is solved. In the meantime, the FlipOut has earned a permanent spot in my shop toolbox!

Get notified of new replies

To Getting Screwed by Screws!

Quick Reply: Getting Screwed by Screws!