C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 C4 Smog Test Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:08 AM
jvettman
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1994 C4 Smog Test Question

All, I am selling my C4 and a very interested party is in California...I am in Colorado. Where I am at there are no smog requirements, but of course California has them all. I have a couple mods I am worried will offend California and would like any input anyone might have.

First, there is a cooling fan bypass that turns on both fans at 190 instead of just one. Second there is a electric water pump. Both of these are drivability mods meant to keep the car cool in traffic...will California hate them?

Finally, I have installed muffler deletes. The previous owner had deleted the mufflers by cutting them out and welding in a pipe and the hangers...which broke off...and leaked exhaust...so I replaced them with bolt on muffler deletes. Will these be a problem in Calli?

Thanks for any info, Jeff
Old 05-26-2018, 05:24 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

None of those things should be relevant to the smog test.

With it never having been smogged before the buyer needs to take into account that it might require some maintenance to get it clean. Buyer should find a smog place that will do a pre-test without hooking up to the state computer first, in case it's really bad. If you fail badly in a real test you get labeled as a gross polluter and get special treatment forever.

My 94 was originally a NV car and I bought it when I lived in CA. It was always marginal on the NO test but fine on the others.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Bring it up to Denver and run it thru Clean Air Colorado and get a test sheet. It will at least give you a baseline reading. They use a dyno test but it is likely not as tough as CA.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:39 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

any exhaust modification AFTER THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER isn't a problem

cooling mods generally aren't smog related...as long as when the car goes on the dyno its up to operating temperature and the computer has gone into closed loop.

most well tuned engines will pass the tail pipe test; what's a certain fail is the visual test...the only thing visual you mentioned was an electric water pump...which shouldn't be a problem as long as the smog man believes a water pump is not "smog / emission control related". Good luck.

p.s in California its the seller's responsibility to provide a smog certificate...I don't know that translates to an out of state sale.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 C4 Smog Test Question

Quick Reply: 1994 C4 Smog Test Question