C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mighty Mouse catch can install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 01:19 AM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Mighty Mouse catch can install question

I'm installing a Mighty Mouse catch can using 3/8" fuel line. For those that have done the install how are you securing the fuel line to the barbs at the intake manifold and PCV exit barbs?
​​​​​​
It seems like hose clamps might not bite enough because the hose doesn't slide past the raised portion of the barb.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:30 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by doomi
I'm installing a Mighty Mouse catch can using 3/8" fuel line. For those that have done the install how are you securing the fuel line to the barbs at the intake manifold and PCV exit barbs?
​​​​​​
It seems like hose clamps might not bite enough because the hose doesn't slide past the raised portion of the barb.
Spring type hose clamp will be fine for the barb fittings.
Just make sure that you get the right size, so you don't end up with a vacuum leak between the hose to barb.

As for the mouse can, unless the motor is supercharged/TT, you don't want a breather on the can.

The way the can should work, is at less than WOT, all the vacuum created by the intake manifold, should be pulling all the vacuum it can from the valley port to pull all the vacuum is can through the can. This pulls all the vapors out of the motor as they are evaporating off the oil, through the can to separate the liquid oil out of the can that made its way paste the valley cover baffle system, to be trapped in the car, instead of those solid oil making it way to the intake manifold through the dirty side isntead.

So if the breather part of the can is allowing for any vacuum to be lost through it, then not only are you losing some PCV vaccum, but your drawing in unmetered air that the Maf did not meter as well into the intake manifold.

Now why you want a check valve controlled breather on a can that will only allow pressure to be move through the breather, and not any vacuum when the car is under it isntead, is when you have a SC/TT, you will be getting major blow by past the piston rings at WOT, and this will prevent the can from puking the oil in it into the intake manifold isntead.

Hence on a NA motor, dirty side is under vacuum from the intake manifold when the TB is not wide open.
At wide open, intake manifold pressure is lost, and its the clean side port in front of the TB that goes under vacuum instead.

With SC/TC motor, less than WOT, intake is drawing vacuum to pull the boiled off oil vapors out of the motor oil to keep it cleaner.

At WOT, you have major Blow by pressure coming out of the motor block, so forget vacuum as part of any of the match, and you dealing with the pressure isntead. Hence back on the dirty side, you have a one way Valve that will only allow the Intake manifold to suck through the can, but will block the line when can is throwing pressure at the intake manifold, so you not dumping a ton of un metered Maf air into the intake manifold isntead. So without a checked vavle breather, all the blow by pressure is just driving out the clean side line, into the air filter line in front of the TB instead.

So before you install catch can, understand that you have two lines, one being the dirty line, and the other a clean side line, that you are always trying to draw as much vacuum as you can out of the motor to pull as much of the vapors that are drawing off the oil to keep it clean, and how NA and SC/TT have different ressure problems that need to be addressed to differently as well.

Simply put, single catch can on only the dirty side, will still allow motor oil into the intake on the clean side when you are playing rev ranger with the motor isntead.

Hence with single can, nothing is oil seperating on the clean side through the vavle covers.

So to catch the clean side as well, two cans are needed so your not drawing drawing air from the clean side end of line, back through the intake manifold side of the dirty side.

If a SC/TT is in play, then we need to one way check valve the intake manifold port so pressure is not driving into the intake from the major piston ring blow by under booth.

And again, breather is not needed/desired on a NA motor for a catch can, even if the breather has a check valve to prevent vacuum loss.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-26-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:34 PM
doomi
Drifting

Thanks for the info Dano. I read several of your posts when researching catch cans and do plan to add a can to the clean side. And I'll be staying NA for the foreseeable future.

I guess my concern with the clamp is that there's nothing for it to catch on the barb since the hose can't slip over the raised portion. It just butts up against it. But I'll put it on there and keep an eye on things for a bit.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Which can do you have, since the PVC can comes with barb fittings both ports, while on the shorty, can you swap out the ports to Barb type as well.

https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...-port-fittings

If you have 6an, or 8an fitting on the car, then it will either need to be swapped out of a Barb fitting, or the correct an fitting on the hose instead.

As for the 3/8" hose on the 3/8 barb, heat the hose up with a hair drier to make it more pliable, and man up to seat the hose over the barb raised section.

As for the breather filter, as noted, it not desired on a NA motor, since your never going to be dealing with excess pressure through the can. So pull the pink section from the below link and suck through the section from the bottom side to make sure it has a check valve that holding the can at a vacuum. If it will not hold a vacuum seal from the bottom side away from the filter, pull the filter and chuck it over your shoulder, and install a rubber cap on the filter top section isntead.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=6352

Last edited by Dano523; 05-26-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:38 PM
doomi
Drifting

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's not a barb it's the quick connect fittings that you remove the u tube from on the manifold and valley. The 3/8" slides over but is not secure.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by doomi
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's not a barb it's the quick connect fittings that you remove the u tube from on the manifold and valley. The 3/8" slides over but is not secure.

Show me the fitting, but if the 90* fitting in the below photo, then once you have the tube cut to the needed lengths, then take the fitting and hoses to a plumbing supply shop to have the hoses Farrel cap crimped to secure the hoses to the fitting.

Or just change the cans fitting to the barb fitting and use the clip springs to hold the lines in place isntead.

O, just send the entire kit back, get a refund, and another brand of catch can instead. If you check with elite, then can make you a bracket that you can mount two cans side by side, or if you have any talent, make a twin cans set up yourself.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-26-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:40 PM
doomi
Drifting

It is a PCV catch can, but the fitting issue isn't on the can... it's on the car. I already have 3/8" barbed fittings on the can.

They are the circled fittings on your diagram below and are pictured below. The u shaped connector came off of these fittings.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:48 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

The mm can has a one way valve on the filter, it's not just a breather.

OP, I pulled the ends off a spare pcv line I had and shoved it in the fuel hose to make a nice fit over those barbs. I'm sure they can be purchased separately (I've seen them but my google-fu is weak this morning).

Last edited by sevinn; 05-27-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mighty Mouse catch can install question

Quick Reply: Mighty Mouse catch can install question