C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking sound from Auto gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 08:29 AM
cl3884
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Squeaking sound from Auto gearbox

I have had a squeaking sound from the transmission. I can hear it when I am driving slowly. I have read a lot of threads about it and most suggestions have been the u-joints.
I finally pulled the drive shaft and found one of the u-joints shot so I replaced both.
Before installing I turned the transmission yoke and found that the squealing noise is coming from the gearbox and not from the u-joints or the differential.

I have made a video with the sound but it's too big for this forum so I uploaded it to Youtube.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Chris
Old 05-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

hows the oil level? Its not a normal bad bearing sound, it could be a dry seal.

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 06-01-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Is the rear seal on the trans, where the yoke is in your video, flat with the end of the trans or does it have a rubber part sticking out a ways?
Can't see it in the video
M
Old 05-27-2018, 10:34 AM
cl3884
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mooser
Is the rear seal on the trans, where the yoke is in your video, flat with the end of the trans or does it have a rubber part sticking out a ways?
Can't see it in the video
M
Looks flat to me but I don't think it's the seal because when I turn anticlockwise there is no sound.

Oil level is ok. I just drained the oil to take the pan off to replace the filter and renew oil.

Just finished replacing all u-joints

Regards

Chris
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Nope, looks like I'm out.
When I bought my car it had this weird extended rubber part on the rear seal and it was rubbing against the yoke and would squeak at low speeds

M
Old 06-01-2018, 12:59 PM
cl3884
Heel & Toe

A quick update. I assembled the drive and half shafts, drained the transmission fluid and took the pan off. The filter was dirty and I cleaned the pan for some paste like substance.
After fitting a new filter and the pan with a new gasket I filled the 8 pints I read about in other posts. Actually 4 liter. After taking it on a ride it started slipping in the gear and subsequently I had to fill 3 liter more before it was on the hot filling point. Slipping disappeared but obviously it took 13 pints rather than 8.
Squeaking sound is still there so now I have to look at the rear wheel bearings I suppose

Chris
Old 06-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Cant be the wheel bearings if you turned the output yoke and made the noise with the drive shaft disconnected. Did you try disconnecting the speedometer cable and see if that made a difference?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:46 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

^^^that's my guess too....the speedo cable
Old 05-30-2022, 04:26 PM
Roerob@gmail.com
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cl3884
I have had a squeaking sound from the transmission. I can hear it when I am driving slowly. I have read a lot of threads about it and most suggestions have been the u-joints.
I finally pulled the drive shaft and found one of the u-joints shot so I replaced both.
Before installing I turned the transmission yoke and found that the squealing noise is coming from the gearbox and not from the u-joints or the differential.

I have made a video with the sound but it's too big for this forum so I uploaded it to Youtube.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Chris
Did you figure out your transmission noise? Im Chasing the same thing in my 77. Would appreciate your knowledge on this.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaking sound from Auto gearbox

Quick Reply: Squeaking sound from Auto gearbox