C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low beam recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Crow Hunter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Default low beam recall

MY '06 has had the recall for low beam "fix"; naturally I have yet to take it in. So far my low beams work fine. Are they likely to continue to function properly, or can the low beam malady still happen? That is, can they fail suddenly after a period of working properly?

If they quit, is it likely they will fail while driving at night w/ the low beams, or do they tend to fail when first turning them on?

I'd appreciate hearing from those w/ experiences w/ this problem.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:14 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I doubt if anyone can accurately predict when the wire in question will fail. The wire has a sharp bend and apparently the housing is effected by heat cycles causing it to break. The fix is a jumper taking the bend out.

Why would you not want to have it repaired?

Do a search on the issue and you will understand better.

Last edited by Boomer111; 05-26-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:46 PM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine goes in in two weeks for this recall. Simple from what I have read
Old 05-26-2018, 03:10 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

There have been a lot of posts here about people having problems after the low beam recall, so I am waiting until I have a problem before I bring it in. There is no time limit on the recall and the failure is not as dramatic as many think it will be (Your high beams will still work so nobody with a clear head will be left driving in the dark.)
Anyway, it really is up to you. I am waiting because I really don't like dealerships so I just keep the recall letter in my glove box for when or if I ever need it.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:17 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

There is no way to tell when or if it will happen. Not willing to take a chance on it happening on one of our long trips, I had my 06 done when I took it in for servicing about a year ago.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
MY '06 has had the recall for low beam "fix"; naturally I have yet to take it in. So far my low beams work fine. Are they likely to continue to function properly, or can the low beam malady still happen? That is, can they fail suddenly after a period of working properly?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
If they quit, is it likely they will fail while driving at night w/ the low beams, or do they tend to fail when first turning them on?
Usually they fail once the engine compartment heats up, and are restored to operation after it cools down.

So you start the car and the lights work. After 5-10 minutes they don't, and they won't work for the rest of the day. The next morning, they work again.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:19 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Its a no brainer.....get 'er fixed! No big whup.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
There have been a lot of posts here about people having problems after the low beam recall, so I am waiting until I have a problem before I bring it in. There is no time limit on the recall and the failure is not as dramatic as many think it will be (Your high beams will still work so nobody with a clear head will be left driving in the dark.)
Anyway, it really is up to you. I am waiting because I really don't like dealerships so I just keep the recall letter in my glove box for when or if I ever need it.
There have?

To the OP: I had them fail early on (it's not very widespread despite the hype), fixed it on my dime, and then had the recall done years later after it became an actual recall, and it's nothing to worry about.

Just get it done. Reindex the windows after.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I had the recall done a few years back on our ‘05 Coupe. I scheduled the repair and was in and out in about 30 or 45 minutes total. Easy peasy!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:44 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
There have?

To the OP: I had them fail early on (it's not very widespread despite the hype), fixed it on my dime, and then had the recall done years later after it became an actual recall, and it's nothing to worry about.

Just get it done. Reindex the windows after.
I believe there were some cases where the dealerships screwed up something else on the car while working on the headlight recall... The dealerships screwing something up really shouldn't surprise anyone, it,s what they do best......WW

Get notified of new replies

To low beam recall

Quick Reply: low beam recall