C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting Problem/ Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Ricardo Zeledon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Problem/ Mystery

So I bought a 04 Z06 about 2 months ago and it came with a few minor things Headers/Intake/XPipe/Exhaust/ LG Shortshifter. Anyways Ive noticed that the shifter was very notchy and was very stiff. Later i got semi used to it and raced a 5.0 beat it easily but then days later i was doing 40s on the freeway and noticed that when i wanted to shift into 3rd at high RPMs (6500) it would bereally hard to do it, you would have to force it in. It didnt do it at lower RPMs. Ive asked on here what it could be and how i could fix it and they adviced to do a shifter alignment. Well today I was going to do it and i noticed that the pin used to align it was not there, I called LG Motorsports and they said that teh shifter shouldnt need alignment and that as long as it goes through all the gears there is nothing wrong with the shifter but rather either my synchros or my clutch. Even if its a aftermarket shifter should it have the pin. I wanted get second opinions and see if its the cluth/synchros or it can be someting else. I can post videos of before and after the problem if yall would like to see.
Attached Images   
Old 05-26-2018, 04:13 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 442 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Check that the o rings on the shifter box are not worn and the shifter rod does not have an up and down play in the box.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:36 PM
Ricardo Zeledon
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by corvettezman
Check that the o rings on the shifter box are not worn and the shifter rod does not have an up and down play in the box.
the shifter doesn’t have an up and down play at all it’s really stiff. Where would the O rings be I tried doing a quick search and couldn’t find anything, keep in mind this is an LG Motorsport shifter so it might be different.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:13 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 442 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Ricardo Zeledon

the shifter doesn’t have an up and down play at all it’s really stiff. Where would the O rings be I tried doing a quick search and couldn’t find anything, keep in mind this is an LG Motorsport shifter so it might be different.
The o rings would be at the ends of the box that attaches to the torque tube below the shifter.
There is one at the front end under the black cover and one on the other end where The shifter rod attaches to the box, however , it's inside the box.
It's what makes the shifter sub housing slide front to back easy. The SS rod inside the box should not have any up and down or side to side play in it at all.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:28 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

with the shifter in neutral, loosen the 2 torx bolts that hold the shift box to the torque tube and move the box until you see the hole in the shift rod line up with the hole in the black cap in your pic... then put the tightest fitting allen wrench you can fit into that hole then tighten the torx bolts down... if you took the pic above with the car in neutral you can see that the holes are not lined up and the shift box appears to be too far towards the front of the car and needs to come back a tad

Last edited by neutron82; 05-26-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:47 PM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
with the shifter in neutral, loosen the 2 torx bolts that hold the shift box to the torque tube and move the box until you see the hole in the shift rod line up with the hole in the black cap in your pic... then put the tightest fitting allen wrench you can fit into that hole then tighten the torx bolts down... if you took the pic above with the car in neutral you can see that the holes are not lined up and the shift box appears to be too far towards the front of the car and needs to come back a tad
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

While your in there you should pull the upper (lg) and lower box completely out and look it over. Look at your torque tube bushings from the underside, they can be completely shot out but still look fine from the top. Don't remove the plastic bushing on the lower end of the shaft, the one that fits in the cup, but make sure it feels tight on the shaft and seats nicely in the cup in the bottom box.
The best way I have found to align everything is to tighten the bolts to the torque tube and on the linkage (rear) in the middle of the play, with the car in neutral, ebrake on. I also recommend using loctite on the bolt in the linkage.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help with anything I can. Feel free to read some of the reviews on my thread, if you want to upgrade that lower box I can just about guarentee you'll be glad you did, it goes great with that LG upper.

C5, C6 & C7
Performance Shifter Boxes
Upgraded Shifter Options

Zero-Slop Shifter Linkages
Don't replace your clutch without upgrading your linkage!

www.TMODCUSTOMS.com
info@tmodcustoms.com

Old 05-27-2018, 03:17 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

Z06, solid bushings are not the problem, just noticed that. Look over the cup bushing and for pieces of it broken off in the box and get it back in and centered up and you should be good.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:10 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TMODcustoms
I also recommend using loctite on the bolt in the linkage.
I use blue loctite as well but as far as the bolt I recommend replacing it with an old header bolt... same thread pitch and they are high grade as opposed to the soft torx bolt which I'm guessing is aluminum... at one time I was experiencing some very sloppy play in my mgw shifter that was caused by this bolt... it's strange because the bolt was tight but the area of the bolt that fits through the notch in the linkage was all beat up... the threads on either side of that area were fine so it obviously wasn't stripped but I'm guessing hard shifts caused it to mangle the bolt and allowed too much movement between the linkage and the bolt which led to the shifter being sloppy... replacing it with a header bolt and using loctite resolved the problem
Old 05-28-2018, 12:04 AM
jonessw20
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds similar to what I was fighting with. Turned out my pressure plate was broken. I started a thread in the autox/roadracing section. Has more detail and some troubleshooting that I did before pulling everything out.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:11 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 PM
Ricardo Zeledon
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jonessw20
Sounds similar to what I was fighting with. Turned out my pressure plate was broken. I started a thread in the autox/roadracing section. Has more detail and some troubleshooting that I did before pulling everything out.
hopefully that not the problem im having. Im going to look at your thread though just to make sure but im going to try the less expensive and easier fixs first. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:38 PM
Ricardo Zeledon
Heel & Toe

I use blue loctite as well but as far as the bolt I recommend replacing it with an old header bolt... same thread pitch and they are high grade as opposed to the soft torx bolt which I'm guessing is aluminum... at one time I was experiencing some very sloppy play in my mgw shifter that was caused by this bolt... it's strange because the bolt was tight but the area of the bolt that fits through the notch in the linkage was all beat up... the threads on either side of that area were fine so it obviously wasn't stripped but I'm guessing hard shifts caused it to mangle the bolt and allowed too much movement between the linkage and the bolt which led to the shifter being sloppy... replacing it with a header bolt and using loctite resolved the problem
Where can i find these said bolts and is anything specific about them.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:39 PM
Ricardo Zeledon
Heel & Toe

ohh ok thanks i think im going to try that because i didnt know what to do before, tried to search up videos but non where with aftermarket shifter. Thanks for the solution.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Ricardo Zeledon
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TMODcustoms
While your in there you should pull the upper (lg) and lower box completely out and look it over. Look at your torque tube bushings from the underside, they can be completely shot out but still look fine from the top. Don't remove the plastic bushing on the lower end of the shaft, the one that fits in the cup, but make sure it feels tight on the shaft and seats nicely in the cup in the bottom box.
The best way I have found to align everything is to tighten the bolts to the torque tube and on the linkage (rear) in the middle of the play, with the car in neutral, ebrake on. I also recommend using loctite on the bolt in the linkage.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help with anything I can. Feel free to read some of the reviews on my thread, if you want to upgrade that lower box I can just about guarentee you'll be glad you did, it goes great with that LG upper.
Ive been thinking about it and i think im going tot take you up on the offer. How long does it take you to do the upgrade, and how do i ship you my box?
Old 05-28-2018, 11:49 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

do you have an extra header bolt laying around?... if not maybe you have a friend that does, they are the same thread pitch and length as the soft torx bolt that holds the shift linkage to the box... or you could buy a cheap set of stainless header bolts on ebay or make a trip to the hardware store and get a high grade m8x1.25x30mm bolt

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting Problem/ Mystery

Quick Reply: Shifting Problem/ Mystery