Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The beginning of the end for me - need a better car

Old 05-26-2018, 03:14 PM
chillin014
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The beginning of the end for me - need a better car

So I'm coming up on 3 years of C5 ownership and I don't know if I'm in a funk, bored, discouraged or all of the above. But I'm starting to look for my next car...and it's not a Corvette or even a "sports" car at all. I am finding myself increasingly interested in the Golf R and the Q50, and basically much newer, more comfortable, more practical cars that still have plenty of power. Granted these cars are worth twice what I'd expect to sell my C5 for, but I have kept meticulous track of all my upgrades, repairs and modifications + purchase price and my total "investment" is creeping uncomfortably close to those newer car prices anyway. I come from the mentality that it's better to own depreciated cars, fix them myself, justify upgrades due to the savings and live worry free. However as I become more financially established in my life I am experiencing lifestyle inflation and it starts to feel like unnecessary effort to work on my bargain-find fixer upper. I began looking at C6 corvettes for the so-called increased refinement but I think once the new-car thrill wears off it's going to be more of the same: Worrying about where I park, where I drive, unwanted attention, justifying the gas mileage, un-usable horsepower that I never find a practical use for, never being able to drive family around or pick up more than 1 person. It's like a lonely situation, a great experience that you can only enjoy alone..but only in very select opportunities.

Needless to say, it's beginning to feel like a losing battle and I'm quite conflicted about it. Part of me loves to have something so fast, custom, and unique, but I feel like that mainly appeals to the 16 year old kid in me. That kid has been bottled up and waiting for a pissing contest to make all the hassle worthwhile...but it's nowhere to be found. All the specs and stats I love to read about are basically completely null unless you are racing! Why am I driving a race car if I don't race?!?

I tried, I really did. I have been upgrading the interior, sound proofing things, fixing the C5 shortcomings and making time to go for spirited drives so I can reignite what makes it so great. But I'm not even sure I really like the driving experience to be completely honest. The shifter is too notchy, the gears are too long, the steering isn't great, the clutch pedal feel is inconsistent, the seats don't hold me in place AT ALL. I just ....I think I'm done. I gave myself a timeline to fall in love with this car and it's just not going to happen.

Last edited by chillin014; 05-26-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:27 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Sorry to see you go, if that is what you decide.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:37 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by chillin014
I think I'm done.
Yes, I agree you are.

Don't beat yourself up. I roll through cars every 12-18 months.At first it bothered me then I just understood that I like getting something different and learning a new car.

Clean it up and sell it.

It is good "CARma" to get your car in the hands of someone who will love it like you first did.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

It's definitely time to move on. Great that you had some fun with it, but there are plenty of fish in the sea. Best of luck with your next move.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:42 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

If it doesn't make you happy move on. Not at all the cars I would consider (particularly the Golf), but go at it.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:50 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Maybe a few sessions with a shrink would help
Old 05-26-2018, 04:10 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

You could move to Wisconsin and the novelty wouldn't wear off because you would only get to drive it about 3 months out of the year.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:26 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

I'm sadly getting into the same mindset as the OP. Have had my 2004 for 5-1/2 years and I think the honeymoon is almost over. A Corvette has always been my dream car, and I was fortunate to get it at 35 years old. As much as try to drive it everyday for three seasons, I'm finding myself not as interested to move cars around some days to get it out of the garage. Then there is the winter storage. And the driving excitement is just no longer there.

I'm already preparing to pull the LT headers and xpipe from the car in a few weeks. Then over the winter I'm thinking of putting the rest back to stock and sell in the spring. As for what's next for me, I really don't know. I've considered a 2015+ Mustang, 11-13 C6 GS, or simply nothing at all.

Last edited by imgn tht; 05-26-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:35 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

You just aren't a corvette person. They are far from perfect, but saying that...I don't know what I would do without one. Every time I get rid of one, I end up with another. I have been fascinated with them ever since I can remember. As a 5 year old, I knew I would have one some day. I'll probably be buried in one. I'm one sick puppy.
The following users liked this post:
msandym (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 05:43 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
You just aren't a corvette person. They are far from perfect, but saying that...I don't know what I would do without one. Every time I get rid of one, I end up with another. I have been fascinated with them ever since I can remember. As a 5 year old, I knew I would have one some day. I'll probably be buried in one. I'm one sick puppy.
In fact most people are not cut out for this car, but then there are a lot of people who are satisfied with it. If you are a sick puppy, you likely find yourself in very good company. Corvettes, new or old, are not perfect cars--- but then perfection is boring (I know, I've owned Toyotas in the past and I currently own two Toyotas). Are Corvette's fun cars? Anyone who says not, should have their pulse checked.

Today I drove by the "Corvettes and Classics" dealership where I bought my Corvette 6 months ago. They had only 2 C-5s in their inventory, while having eight C-7s, five C-6s, nine C-3s, three C-4s, three C-2s and a single C-1. The manager said, "owners are simply not letting go of the C-5s, I hope to get more later in the year." The C-5 is not rare...but these less than perfect cars are obviously desired and prized by many "Corvette people."

Since buying my Corvette and joining this forum, I think I see a pattern. Some owners who are expert at modification bring their cars to personal perfection. Hard not to admire this group of owners. Others manage to take perfectly good cars and turn them into monstrosities--- such that the only hope they have of recouping a fraction of their good money spent after bad is to return their car to stock for resale (pity the buyer of that car).

To modify a car to increase performance and then complain that the car has more performance than the owner could possibly exploit, that's an interesting circumstance.

I'd wager most cars sold these days have far more performance than the owners will ever need.

I actually love my "notchy" 6M; I'd not argue with anyone regarding its agricultural feel--- on the other hand, it takes talent to operate well. This car lets you know when you do things wrong and it rewards you when you do it right. You drive this car, it is "on all the time". I plan on keeping mine as long as I am able to drive it.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:50 PM
sofast
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sounds like you've lost that loving feeling. I agree it is time to move on. No sense sticking with something that is making you unhappy. Best of luck in your search.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:05 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

I agree with others... sounds like it's time for you to move on.

For me, owning a Corvette goes far beyond just driving one (which I love to do as often as I can). I enjoy looking at and reading about other generations of Corvettes... I am absolutely thrilled/excited for the next revolution/generation. I frequent the other generations' forums here and enjoy learning more, and contributing my 2 cents on occasion.

I love looking at my Corvette when I'm not driving it... I love the legacy of the car. I'm blessed to be able to have other vehicles that fill the practical needs that I sometimes need in a vehicle, but at the end of the day, I always want to have a Corvette to drive, and to enjoy the entire Corvette ownership experience.

Last edited by FrankLP; 05-29-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Do what you need to do and don’t feel bad about it. If the C5 doesn’t thrill you any more, then another car just might reignite the driving passion again.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:41 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Do what you need to do and don’t feel bad about it. If the C5 doesn’t thrill you any more, then another car just might reignite the driving passion again.
just move on and when you get the urge buy another one, no big deal
Old 05-26-2018, 08:30 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Man you guys are cold. Not one saying heywaitaminute! Well, hey...wait a minute! Do yourself a favor and take it to an autocross. Go see what these cars were made for, and what they are really capable of. Warning, it's addictive.
The following users liked this post:
koreanbeefcake (05-31-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 08:59 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by mark4cam
Man you guys are cold. Not one saying heywaitaminute! Well, hey...wait a minute! Do yourself a favor and take it to an autocross. Go see what these cars were made for, and what they are really capable of. Warning, it's addictive.
It's like pulling teeth getting someone to an autox event much less a road course. They always think its not as tangible as it truly is.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:21 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

It can happen to anyone with any vehicle. I rode motorcycles for almost 47 years, then one day I just completely lost all interest in riding. I just walked away and I don't miss it. I wouldn't think anything of it...

Get notified of new replies

To The beginning of the end for me - need a better car

Old 05-26-2018, 09:25 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Old 05-26-2018, 09:57 PM
baddboyz03
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Default w

I think 700+ hp would make you think twice!
maybe not you want a VW
Old 05-26-2018, 11:07 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 513 Likes on 299 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by baddboyz03
I think 700+ hp would make you think twice!
maybe not you want a VW
I disagree. I just picked up a 2004 CE coupe. This is my 16th Corvette over the last 45 years. I sold my 460 hp C7 after 7 months and went back to a 13 GS vert. Traded that last Sept for a new 17 Mustang gt w/ 435 hp.
Missed owning a vette and decided a C5 is more than enough car for me.
Where exactly can you use the 460 or 700 or even the 350 hp in any car?
Now I can chose either the vette or stang to drive. I just enjoy either car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The beginning of the end for me - need a better car