C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Inspect T.O and trans input shaft.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:21 PM
frankgv
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Inspect T.O and trans input shaft.

frankgv , Today 11:47 AM
Hello and wishing all a meaninful Memorial day celebration.
Is there a way to inspect or just see the input shaft or T.O bearing in a sbc (64) thru the bellhousing boot or by removing the inspection plate.
Thanks
Frank.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 770 Likes on 431 Posts

I don't think you'll be able to see very much, but you might catch a glimpse. Whatcha hoping to see?
Old 05-27-2018, 04:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

only through the boot

Bill
Old 05-27-2018, 06:32 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Not on a C2. Only if you shove a borescope probe in.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 05-27-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 PM
frankgv
Racer

Default C2 Inspect T.O and trans input shaft.

I would like to try and very lightly (re)grease the trans input shaft to maybe help slide the T.O bearing. When hot, occasionally when fully depressed the pedal will release with a jerk and jumps the car forward. I have used several clutch set ups through the years but never has this happen.

Originally Posted by Patrick03
I don't think you'll be able to see very much, but you might catch a glimpse. Whatcha hoping to see?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:43 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by frankgv
I would like to try and very lightly (re)grease the trans input shaft to maybe help slide the T.O bearing. When hot, occasionally when fully depressed the pedal will release with a jerk and jumps the car forward. I have used several clutch set ups through the years but never has this happen.
the T O bearing doesn't ride that tight to the bearing retainer so I would be surprised if that is the problem. for no other reason than the risk of getting grease on the disc by accident, I wouldn't try it...

but, there are spray greases that with the tube may be able to reach where you are try to get to, or an extension hose on your grease gun

Bill
Old 05-28-2018, 09:36 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by frankgv
It's unlikely trying to lubricate it will solve the issue if your diagnosis is correct. Probably the collar is worn or galled and only polishing it or replacing it will fix that. I replaced my front bearing retainer last year that only had about 3000 miles on it and while not worn to where the diameter had been reduced, I was surprised to see how many score marks and scratches were in it for so few miles. And I always lightly lube it when installing the transmission. I replaced it again just to have a fresh start.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:41 PM
frankgv
Racer

Default C2 Inspect T.O and trans input shaft.

Thanks, the collar you are talking about is the bearing retainer sleeve that bolts to the front of the trans. over the input shaft ??? at least mine does to fit the GM throw out on my 5 speed aftermarket.
Thanks.
Frank.

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
It's unlikely trying to lubricate it will solve the issue if your diagnosis is correct. Probably the collar is worn or galled and only polishing it or replacing it will fix that. I replaced my front bearing retainer last year that only had about 3000 miles on it and while not worn to where the diameter had been reduced, I was surprised to see how many score marks and scratches were in it for so few miles. And I always lightly lube it when installing the transmission. I replaced it again just to have a fresh start.

Get notified of new replies

To Inspect T.O and trans input shaft.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Inspect T.O and trans input shaft.