C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:26 AM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Harmonic balancer

I am told I have a harmonic balancer problem in my 2007 coupe. I have approx 60,000 miles on it. Any idea how much this will set me back? And should a Chevy dealership be my best choice?

Thx
mike
Old 06-15-2018, 02:08 AM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

I guess the cost of replacement may be different based on location, shop rates, parts used...

I paid 900 for the balancer replacement (parts and labor) on my '07. I did not use another General Motors balancer. There have been failures with the replacement OEM ones. I used an ATI #917266. The mechanic I used had done several HB replacements and had it done in less than 5 hours.

A dealer might not be the best way to go... They'll want to sell you another failure prone part.

Any local Corvette clubs? I found my mechanic by checking the local clubs web sites for recommended mechanics.

Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikR
I guess the cost of replacement may be different based on location, shop rates, parts used...

I paid 900 for the balancer replacement (parts and labor) on my '07. I did not use another General Motors balancer. There have been failures with the replacement OEM ones. I used an ATI #917266. The mechanic I used had done several HB replacements and had it done in less than 5 hours.

A dealer might not be the best way to go... They'll want to sell you another failure prone part.

Any local Corvette clubs? I found my mechanic by checking the local clubs web sites for recommended mechanics.

Good Luck
^^ this

I have had 5 balancers replaced on as many Vettes. All with ATI. All without a single issue after that. $900 parts and labor is correct. I suggest that if you use a dealership, use one that sells tons of Vettes. The ones who sell a couple Vettes per year can’t even change the oil correctly. My experience. If you have a relationship with a dealer, and know their mechanics, that is different.

Good luck. Also, if you are thinking of ever putting a supercharger on the car, have the balancer pinned to the crank. Might as well do this while making the swap. Have them replace the front engine seal too.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:36 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Most of the posts I've seen, people have been paying anywhere from about $900 all the way up to almost $2,000. If you do it yourself, you can do it for as little as about $200 (primarily depending upon the HB you choose).

Personally, I don't like paying someone to do something I can do myself. This was the toughest car repair job I've ever taken on, but it was more time consuming than anything. Getting the steering rack out is the hardest part.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Forum search will give you lots of choices as far as part numbers and costs.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by drew_c6
Personally, I don't like paying someone to do something I can do myself. This was the toughest car repair job I've ever taken on, but it was more time consuming than anything. Getting the steering rack out is the hardest part.
DIY here as well on a C5. I don't think it is that hard, but it was a lot of work the way we did it. With the Summit racing balancer, I think we spent about $300 as we bought a few tools also.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Mine was done with Power Bond PB1117SS, new belts, seal, bolt etc. Total cost for labor and parts was right at $900. Spinning straight and true now
I would personally NOT USE THE GM PART
NSF
Old 06-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I agree the ATI part is not the least expensive, but is by far your best choice. I've never seen a failure reported. You can get it here:

ATI Performance Products 917266 GM LS 7.480 Harmonic Damper - SFI, 1 Pack ($395.00)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019XETR20/?coliid=I23PIXMVN3YILT&colid=10N4BCOTC3Y6Z&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019XETR20/?coliid=I23PIXMVN3YILT&colid=10N4BCOTC3Y6Z&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It installs with a one-time bolt, also known as a BAB (Big A** Bolt). There's an after-market version of this you can get fairly cheaply:

ARP 2342503 Stud Kit ($38.27)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D0MJNC/?coliid=I699KD78EIAH5&colid=10N4BCOTC3Y6Z&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D0MJNC/?coliid=I699KD78EIAH5&colid=10N4BCOTC3Y6Z&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

While you're in there, after 60K miles it may be a good time to replace the crankshaft seal:

Timken 100470 Crankshaft Seal ($10.69 + $2 shipping)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JZWYUA/?coliid=I3QLS5S0QG4X8G&colid=10N4BCOTC3Y6Z&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JZWYUA/?coliid=I3QLS5S0QG4X8G&colid=10N4BCOTC3Y6Z&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Finally, as an option required by those with superchargers installed, there's a pinning kit that will prevent the new HB from slipping even if the BAB fails ($124.00)

ATI Performance Products 918993 Crank Pin Drill Fixture Kit
Amazon Amazon

Definitely have this work done by a dealership or speed shop that has LOTS of experience with C6 Corvettes. With the ATI part you'll only ever have to do this once. I have had three OEM HBs installed.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

Originally Posted by ErikR

Good Luck

thanks
mike
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

Good advice
thx
mike

Originally Posted by BLEKVET
^^ this

I have had 5 balancers replaced on as many Vettes. All with ATI. All without a single issue after that. $900 parts and labor is correct. I suggest that if you use a dealership, use one that sells tons of Vettes. The ones who sell a couple Vettes per year can’t even change the oil correctly. My experience. If you have a relationship with a dealer, and know their mechanics, that is different.

Good luck. Also, if you are thinking of ever putting a supercharger on the car, have the balancer pinned to the crank. Might as well do this while making the swap. Have them replace the front engine seal too.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 PM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

I can build a nice liquor cabinet out of red Oak, but I’m not very good under the hood!

Originally Posted by drew_c6
Most of the posts I've seen, people have been paying anywhere from about $900 all the way up to almost $2,000. If you do it yourself, you can do it for as little as about $200 (primarily depending upon the HB you choose).

Old 06-18-2018, 08:33 PM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

The dealership sponsors the Rochester Corvette club, so I feel comfortable and letting them do it. But having listened to several other forum members, OEM concerns me I’m not sure how they feel about putting on anything but OEM

thanks for information

Originally Posted by BLEKVET
^^ this

Old 06-19-2018, 10:56 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I really hate to be a dissenter and bring up a thought that angers some people, but don't just assume your balancer needs replaced. There are videos here and elsewhere that give an indication of what is bad, versus what is relatively normal.

Just because it has a wobble does not mean you need to replace it. Does it ever "chirp"? Do you do track days? Is the engine built with cam and headers? If the answer to all 3 of those questions is "No", you might not need to replace it.

If you do replace it, do not use a GM replacement unless they will warranty it for at least 3 years (which they will not do). Use an aftermarket like ATI, Summit, etc.
The following users liked this post:
vezePilot (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

1. Yes
2. No
3. No

there have been enough members on this form to convince me OEM is not the way to go. I will be discussing the ATI, and other options that have been mentioned with the mechanic, and service manager.

To the folks that have replied, thank you very much. This is been extremely helpful

Old 06-20-2018, 11:52 AM
csc67
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Neutron
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

there have been enough members on this form to convince me OEM is not the way to go. I will be discussing the ATI, and other options that have been mentioned with the mechanic, and service manager.

To the folks that have replied, thank you very much. This is been extremely helpful

Jimmy,

Give New Era Performance a call
Old 06-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

Will do
thx
Old 06-20-2018, 12:51 PM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I spoke to "my personal vehicle manager" at McCaddon Cadillac this morning about a slight wobble. We will have his best mechanic take a look at it tomorrow (Thurs) before lunch. Already that fellow has stated that a slight wobble does not mean the HB will fail suddenly. He said they don't do that. My answers to the 3 questions? No, no and no.

What mine does need are Brake Pads and Shocks. Those will be the StopTech Sport pads and the Bilstein HD B6's. You people here are AWESOME!

edit: A important point clarified this morning with the Service Manager at McCaddon-- No Problem for them to install non-OEM, Race/Performance parts for me.

Last edited by vezePilot; 06-20-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer